Tail Bulb

neojynx

neojynx

HI

Anyone know which bulb I need for the tail light of my 2015 NC750X.  Also are there any destructions on removing & replacing same.

thanks

It’s a normal bayonet 21/5w type 380. It’s the one with offset pins.

To fit it, remove the screw in the centre of the bendy cover, it faces vertical.

Undo the crosshead screw, which you can now see, in the centre of the mudguard. This one faces about 45* upwards toward the tail light. It can be VERY tight so you may need a bit of grunt or an impact driver.

Disconnect the indicator and tail light connnectors and Rigel the light assembly free. 

You now have access to the bulb holder. A quick twist and hey presto.

Reassembly is the reverse. I would put a bit of copper grease on the screws to aid removal next time.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Grumpy Meltdown
  • Thanks 1
neojynx
58 minutes ago, Grumpy Meltdown said:

I hope this helps.

It helps a lot.  Thank you very much.  I know its not a big job, but I couldn't obviously see where to unscrew it.

neojynx
10 hours ago, Grumpy Meltdown said:

It’s a normal bayonet 21/5w type 380. It’s the one with offset pins.

To fit it, remove the screw in the centre of the bendy cover, it faces vertical.

Undo the crosshead screw, which you can now see, in the centre of the mudguard. This one faces about 45* upwards toward the tail light. It can be VERY tight so you may need a bit of grunt or an impact driver.

Disconnect the indicator and tail light connnectors and Rigel the light assembly free. 

You now have access to the bulb holder. A quick twist and hey presto.

Reassembly is the reverse. I would put a bit of copper grease on the screws to aid removal next time.

I hope this helps.

What a pig that bolt is to get out.  Having to hack the rubber washer behind and then hacksaw the bolt off.  My back hurts now :(

• Like 1
3 hours ago, neojynx said:

What a pig that bolt is to get out.  Having to hack the rubber washer behind and then hacksaw the bolt off.  My back hurts now :(

Yup, I had a feeling it would be like that.

I had to take a hammer and centre punch to mine. 

It’s surprisingly difficult to hit something that small, lying on your back on the garage floor. I missed quite a lot! 🤬

Wedgepilot

Why do manufacturers make it so difficult to change basic service items like bulbs? Is it to help the dealer network make money? Or just poor engineering?

I have the same problem with my wife's car, you need to be a contortionist with tiny hands just to change the headlight bulb (I am neither). The bulb seems to blow on an annual basis as well.

On my old smart car, you literally had to dismantle the front end of the car to get to the bulb! The unofficial workaround was to cut an access hole in the body work!

• Like 1
neojynx

So I got the cross head bolt out.  Are there any other bolts to remove as Im having difficulty removing the light cluster.  There are 2 hex type bolts underneath which seem like they might be connected but I cant get them out.  Jeez it was easier doing the fork seals...

Just checked, the 2 screws (screws B in the manual) do need to come out.  Bugger..

Edited by neojynx
neojynx

Sorted.  Whoever had the bike before had stripped the hex bolt heads and not only that, idiots had used locktite on them.  Anyway fixed and will replace with new bolts and a little grease on the threads.

I dont want to do that again in a hurry.

3 hours ago, neojynx said:

So I got the cross head bolt out.  Are there any other bolts to remove as Im having difficulty removing the light cluster.  There are 2 hex type bolts underneath which seem like they might be connected but I cant get them out.  Jeez it was easier doing the fork seals...

Just checked, the 2 screws (screws B in the manual) do need to come out.  Bugger..

Bugger, I forgot about those, apologies. They’re tucked right in there and difficult to spot even when not covered in crud.

1 hour ago, neojynx said:

Sorted.  Whoever had the bike before had stripped the hex bolt heads and not only that, idiots had used locktite on them.  Anyway fixed and will replace with new bolts and a little grease on the threads.

I dont want to do that again in a hurry.

Neither did I, which is one reason I changed the bulb to LED.

I needn’t have bothered, that didn’t last any longer than a bulb before it fell apart.

Glad you got it sorted.

neojynx
16 minutes ago, Grumpy Meltdown said:

Neither did I, which is one reason I changed the bulb to LED.

I needn’t have bothered, that didn’t last any longer than a bulb before it fell apart.

Glad you got it sorted.

Thanks.

I was thinking of LED, but you cant tell good ones from bad ones, so went with standard.  I have decided Im not putting the big hex bolt back in, the 2 small ones will have to do the job.  Not going through that pain again.