John Y

Found something I don’t like !

John Y

Whilst my NC750 has been a very enjoyable purchase, I have encountered a daily annoyance.

The ignition

Just two keys and a small fob on my bunch but everything gets in the way. The handlebar mount being higher than the key slot means a jam nearly every time I turn it on or off. 

Other than just just using the key on its own..which I am reluctant to do because I would probably loose it..I am unable to think of a tweak.

anybody have a solution ?

PoppetM

I kept the key on its own with a large soft key ring so I wouldn’t scratch anything. Bike lock keys are on my jailers bunch (office/house keys)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

F.Honda750xd

I use a spring loaded clip that looks like one of those mountaineering  things and disconnect from the main bunch. Yes it is a bind and you're right it's a confined space. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

John Y
1 minute ago, F.Honda750xd said:

I use a spring loaded clip that looks like one of those mountaineering  things and disconnect from the main bunch. Yes it is a bind and you're right it's a confined space. 

Now that’s a good idea !

• Thanks 1

Andy m

Travel habits die hard. 

Ignition key (logo taped over) on a Suzuki key fob on its own*

Lock keys split between home (huge chain etc.) and road (disc lock etc.) on a carabiner clip and lanyard round my neck

Spares in a bag tied to the zip of a pocket that's in a hard to steal garment. 

The routine of always having the right number of keys round your neck avoids confusion, riding with the disc lock on etc. The lanyard comes off my neck and into a pocket as I leave the bike. 

*If you want to help lucky people steal your bike, place the Honda logo key on the fob your dealer provided. His details on the fob match your number plate. Random pick pockets and people just finding your keys get to ride your uninsured bike away. Logo's on keys are another fine bit of fashion over function from the bike industry stylists. 

Andy

• Like 1

Graham

I thought I was the only one that had to deal with key and the ignition jamming. I have bent 2 keys getting it jammed in there. I have only one key on a ring with a fob now, and the fob is notorious for wedging between the handle bars and the riser still!

PoppetM
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Andy m said:

*If you want to help lucky people steal your bike, place the Honda logo key on the fob your dealer provided. His details on the fob match your number plate. 

• Thats why I rid the bike of Mr Honda’s badge of honour and replace with cuddly toy or similar ;)

except these days I don’t need to...

Edited by PoppetM
Keyless bike!
  • Thanks 1

pjm

Tiny little male and female key ring clip. From that online site or most key cutting shops. I have the male on the ignition key and female on my bench. Works a treat. Used them for years as I hate the keys bashing the bike up.

• Like 2

baben

The location of the ignition put me right off the Tracer 900

John Y
23 minutes ago, baben said:

The location of the ignition put me right off the Tracer 900

I guess it’s a case of style over function

Andy m

My Bonneville had the key under the front of the tank. That was annoying

Andy

John Y
1 hour ago, Graham said:

I thought I was the only one that had to deal with key and the ignition jamming. I have bent 2 keys getting it jammed in there. I have only one key on a ring with a fob now, and the fob is notorious for wedging between the handle bars and the riser still!

Wow, not bent one yet but can see how it could easily happen. Situation is compounded by gloves in cold or wet weather. I am definitely going to try the spring clip idea F.honda posted

Woody 99
On 4/5/2019 at 20:49, Andy m said:

Logo's on keys are another fine bit of fashion over function from the bike industry stylists. 

Andy

Not true, Andy. When you’re like Trev and have 47 bikes you need the manufacturer’s logo as the first step of triage to figure out which key belongs to which bike. Or if you’re like Rocker it’s to remind you when you last changed bikes. 

• Haha 4

elbee

My keys were supplied each on a white plastic loop with a dealer's name on the loop and tag. But the inside of the loop is a bright orange/red so I removed the dealer tag, turned the loop inside out and reattached the key. The loop really stands out against the black surrounding the ignition and frunk lock.

I keep the key by itself and have been quite anal forcing myself to watch where the key is at the start and end of journeys: "yes, it's in the frunk lock, now I'm watching it go into my wallet and it isn't inside the frunk and I haven't walked off with it in the lock and ...."

Rocker66

I keep my key on a soft fob that is reasonably big so that I don’t forget it. It has pictures of the daughter in law’s dogs on each side so other than than the Honda logo on the key there is nothing to related to any specific bike unless they want to try every Honda in the area.

• Like 1

Trev
3 hours ago, Woody 99 said:

Not true, Andy. When you’re like Trev and have 47 bikes you need the manufacturer’s logo as the first step of triage to figure out which key belongs to which bike. Or if you’re like Rocker it’s to remind you when you last changed bikes. 

:D actually, as I tend to keep my bikes a long time it's easy to recognise which key fits what just by it's shape, it's surprising how different old school keys are from their modern versions and most keys have the name on them somewhere anyway.

I'm one of those people that doesn't carry a huge bunch of keys around with me everywhere I go and if I'm out on the bike it's just the bike key and nowt else, don't even bring a house key. Cars keys are the same (I have a few different ones of those as well :whistle:) although of course they are usually some fancy fob thing these days and my 'daily driver'  does have the house key attached to it. All my keys are individually hung up with just one of those freebie Wemoto type plastic loops on a key ring, nice and easy to keep hold off or find in your pocket.

I'm a simple person :ermm:; wallet, phone, one key is usually enough and I don't need those 'orrible box things to cart half my life's belonging about every time I get on a bike .... although Tex and the spoked wheel paranoia brigade now mean I have a Kriega 10L strapped to the back of the AT containing a can of Holts Tyreweld :frantics::frantics::frantics: don't panic, don't panic!!

:D:D:D:D

• Haha 3

arengle

now I understand why BMW offer keyless option for bikes

baben
11 minutes ago, arengle said:

But you must have the fob on your person or embarrassing situations may arise.

• Haha 2

PoppetM

Yeah it still requires a FOB, you just can't do my favourite trick of leaving it in the side funk lock all night :) 

• Like 1

Andy m
1 hour ago, arengle said:

So the thieves can go high tech like the owners?

1 hour ago, baben said:

But you must have the fob on your person ...

Not always. A laptop and the right scanner seems to work :devil:

Andy

fred_jb
Posted (edited)

I think keyless potentially saves a lot of hassle, and from being a sceptic at first I now find it very useful.  I had a non-electronic key cut for unlocking the seats, so the keyless fob never has to leave my pocket.

Regarding thieves with scanners, I put my key in a Faraday RF blocking pouch when off the bike.  I tested it by holding the pouch right next to the bike and it would not start, so seems to work.

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 1

Spindizzy

The newer S is an improvement over my older X as it has a shorter key. I also use a plunger type split key to separate the bike keys from the bundle.

Had keyless on my SH300i, hated it. Advantage of the Honda keyless is you can disable the keyfob rather than put it in a faraday cage. Its actually a transmitter rather than a passive responder. Hence the need to change the battery every so often.

arengle
47 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

I think keyless potentially saves a lot of hassle, and from being a sceptic at first I now find it very useful.  I had a non-electronic key cut for unlocking the seats, so the keyless fob never has to leave my pocket.

Regarding thieves with scanners, I put my key in a Faraday RF blocking pouch when off the bike.  I tested it by holding the pouch right next to the bike and it would not start, so seems to work.

for me the fear with keyless bikes or car is in the petrol station, you go inside to pay and someone jump on the bike and goes away