John Y

Found something I don’t like !

fred_jb
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, arengle said:

for me the fear with keyless bikes or car is in the petrol station, you go inside to pay and someone jump on the bike and goes away

With mine, if you are more than about a metre away it won't activate the bike, so it can't be started while you are inside paying, and I could always put the key in the Faraday pouch when leaving the bike to be doubly sure. The petrol cap won't release until the ignition is off, so there is no question of leaving the engine running, not that you would while filling up anyway!

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 2

Tonyj

My Ktm has a touch of the faraday about it when I’m on it . Said key not In Range . I was going along a main road riding it and it was in my pocket about a foot away :0) 

• Haha 1

Mr Toad
8 hours ago, arengle said:

now I understand why BMW offer keyless option for bikes

Which is odd as the GS has one of the most easily accessible keyholes on any bike I've ever owned! :) 

My Bonneville on the other hand would be an ideal bike for a keyless ignition. It has the ignition on a bracket on the side of the headlight support. Some people buy a bracket to move them to the frame just below the tank. I was going to do the same until I realised that while I'd been prevaricating about the bush I'd got used to where it was.  

• Like 2

Andy m
15 hours ago, Spindizzy said:

Hence the need to change the battery every so often.

Do you get a low battery warning? I'm guessing you either blow a number of beer tokens every once in a while or hope the RAC carry spares?

The petrol station scenario seems unlikely as it'll stop for good once the ignition is keyed off. 

These are all system that do no more than get over how poor the mechanical locks are. The fact the mechanical locks were reliable also screams of manufacturers finding another way to get you on the dealer tool and take your data. This by the way is what Honda are doing with the tracker. Its useful for us but the data is their bonus. Maccy D will be opening up opposite your favourite bike cafe etc.

Andy

Bigglesaircraft
Posted (edited)
On 05/04/2019 at 20:37, F.Honda750xd said:

I use a spring loaded clip that looks like one of those mountaineering  things and disconnect from the main bunch. Yes it is a bind and you're right it's a confined space. 

+1 they are extremely useful.

Just one point on keys, I never have keys in any of my pockets after having an off and burying a Yale type key into my hip joint, very painful in its extraction.

Edited by Bigglesaircraft
  • Sad 1

Chriswright03

Not too sure if anyone has mentioned having their spare keys with them when out on the bike.  OK handy if you misplace your keys while miles from home but also some years ago there was a spate of cases where some scroat would walk up to your bike while you were stuck in traffic and nick your keys out of the ignition.  So the natural thing would be park the bike up and chase the said scroat in an effort to retrieve your keys.  In the meantime they had handed the keys over to someone else who just calmly walked up and rode off on your bike.

I have been in the habit of carrying the spares just in case for years.  Mind you in my case it would be for the reason I might have left them somewhere and that has been known to be in the ignition or top box!

Spindizzy
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Do you get a low battery warning?

Sort of. The key symbol flashes rather than solid. It says 2 yr life. I would change yearly. Mind you I changed mine after a few months and it still flashed after a few weeks. I hate keyless. 

• Like 1

PoppetM
10 hours ago, Spindizzy said:

Sort of. The key symbol flashes rather than solid. It says 2 yr life. I would change yearly. Mind you I changed mine after a few months and it still flashed after a few weeks. I hate keyless. 

Oh is that what it means on the dash?

Spindizzy
46 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

Oh is that what it means on the dash?

Yep. Try reading the manual🤪

Rocker66
4 minutes ago, Spindizzy said:

I thought it was supposed to be only us men who don’t read instructions.😀😀

• Haha 1

PoppetM
8 minutes ago, Spindizzy said:

hehe  :rtfm: it’s why I have friends like you...

• Haha 1

Andy m

Outsourced! 

Andy

• Haha 1

PoppetM
2 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Outsourced! 

Andy

Delegation.... :dielaugh:

(Spin, I am kidding, your next coffee is on me...off to find manual. Don’t suppose you know what battery it wants? :poke: )

• Like 1

Rocker66
2 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

(Spin, I am kidding, your next coffee is on me...off to find manual. Don’t suppose you know what battery it wants? :poke: )

Do manuals have batteries or do you have it on your Kindle?😀😀

• Haha 2

Spindizzy
27 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

CR2032. Easy to change just be careful splitting the Fob.

If it flashes 5 times on the dash after turning the ignition on you should replace it.

Now do I get a biscuit with that coffee?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PoppetM
16 hours ago, Spindizzy said:

CR2032. Easy to change just be careful splitting the Fob.

If it flashes 5 times on the dash after turning the ignition on you should replace it.

Now do I get a biscuit with that coffee?

Excellent - got loads of those floating around in the house. Will have a look at the flashing, Haven't noticed it do it every time I hop on. 

As it's you I may stretch to a portion of chips :ahappy:

• Haha 1

uzi22
On 05/04/2019 at 19:28, John Y said:

Whilst my NC750 has been a very enjoyable purchase, I have encountered a daily annoyance.

The ignition

Just two keys and a small fob on my bunch but everything gets in the way. The handlebar mount being higher than the key slot means a jam nearly every time I turn it on or off. 

Other than just just using the key on its own..which I am reluctant to do because I would probably loose it..I am unable to think of a tweak.

anybody have a solution ?

Wish I had a solution for it...with the integra it's a nightmare...if you have more than one key it is almost impossible to turn it on.

John Y
On 10/04/2019 at 16:43, uzi22 said:

Wish I had a solution for it...with the integra it's a nightmare...if you have more than one key it is almost impossible to turn it on.

Solved in the end by following advice early on in this thread. I bought a pack of three quick release clips, bout the size of the pencils you get in Ikea... They have a secure but easy system so i just pop off the ignition key each journy and when i park the bike i clip it back on the bunch. Works well. 

• Thanks 1

pjm

Glad it worked for you John. It’s great if you are fortunate enough to have more than one bike or car as you just add the connector to each key and only have to take the one you want. It’s also a great reminder to make sure you know where your key is as you get in to the habit of removing it from the ignition and clipping it straight back on to the bunch of keys. Great for those with the occasional tendency for a ‘senior moment’ or two😃 I describe my brains memory area as a Bisley filing cabinet. If I add something new at the front something old falls out of the back.

• Haha 1

makman

Bike key by itself with small keyring.  Home keys and lock keys + work alarm fob on a bunch. Church keys in the Froot as they are far too wieldy to even contemplate putting in a pocket!

I prefer card access systems, stick in RFID container and away you go.

Rocker66

I think I must have mild OCD as when I get off the bike I check that I have taken the key out before walking away and as I walk away I check that it is safely in my pocket. On the subject of pockets why is it that if your key is the last thing you put in your pocket it’s still underneath everything else when you go to take it out?😀

• Like 3

listener
1 hour ago, Rocker66 said:

I think I must have mild OCD as when I get off the bike I check that I have taken the key out before walking away and as I walk away I check that it is safely in my pocket. On the subject of pockets why is it that if your key is the last thing you put in your pocket it’s still underneath everything else when you go to take it out?😀

I'm always patting my pockets to ensure that I remembered my keys, phone, wallet, brain ... okay not brain!

And, as I mentioned in another thread, I try to stick to a sequence of actions so as not to forget keys, locked disc-locks, gloves, etc.

But it's far too easy to get distracted and miss a step.

A couple of days ago, I tried to push the NC up the path to the road only to grind to a halt because I forgot to remove the lock and chain from the back wheel! :doh::oldfart:

I equally have a habit of regularly hitting the indicator cancel button - just in case I forgot to cancel them at that last turn. :logik:

John Y
5 hours ago, listener said:

I equally have a habit of regularly hitting the indicator cancel button - just in case I forgot to cancel them at that last turn. :logik:

I think we are all guilty of that one. Easiest way to get ureself hurt leaving em on

Rocker66

I even did it a few times on the Crossrunner despite it having self cancelling Indicators.