Bike is cutting out... why?

Davrich1984

Trumpet

Duff Relay in the Datatool then. As per the excellent advice in post #2  and Chris's ultimate solution. Having carried out Chris's solution it is true, like a Cockroach, it takes a hell of a lot of effort to silence them when removed. A bucket of water helps. Even then, they sound like Jumanji .. But the most important thing is that all its not the Honda that's letting you down..

Edited by Trumpet
Andy m

I find the lump hammer more satisfying than a bucket of water. That last little wail between the third and fourth blows makes up for some of the effort in getting the ***ing thing off.

Andy

listener
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

I find the lump hammer more satisfying than a bucket of water.

I'm rather loath to use a hammer, of any kind, to extract revenge on an annoying inanimate object.

I'm aware that the object can suddenly take on elastic properties, which result in the hammer rebounding and hurting the wielder! :blink:

Same goes for slamming the object into the deck - it will likely bounce up and smack you in the kisser ... :doh:

• Haha 1
sad vampire

So wear the lid & leathers when you tackle the Datatool with a hammer, same as you would when washing a cat :angel:

• Haha 1
Andy m

My third best gloves (the ones supposedly made of 3mm thick Kangaroo scrotum material or some such) have holes due to the cat. 

I had the last laugh though, he was a lot happier to get back in the box after what they did with that thermometer. When he annoys me I take all the pickled onions out a jar bar the last two and show him by way of a reminder. 

Andy

• Haha 2
listener
4 hours ago, Andy m said:

I had the last laugh though

Ahh, but have you?

I hope it doesn't read "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" - it might get ideas.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Davrich1984

I'm beginning to see why you all hate Datatool... They told me to drive it to their local dealer and they would fix it, even though the recall clearly states "Do not drive".  3 weeks on and I am still waiting for them to get back to me... Anyone got any advice on how to remove it yourself?  I want to take the bike out and at the moment, its just sitting around in the garage!

Andy m

Are your wires still colour tagged? 

The black box from hell T's into most connections, so indicators etc. will just work if you smash the ***ing thing. The fuel pumps and ignition are in and out so removing the POS leaves a gap in the loom. They tag the wires when new. Fitters are supposed to remove them so a thief can't waste his time while passers-by ignore it's pointless wailing. Lazy fitters and those expecting to have to repair it inside the warranty leave tags on. 

Andy

neojynx

Alarms are useless IMHO  Anyone who is going to nick the bike will do so anyway.  The trick is to make it less nickable than your neighbours bike. Physical barriers generally work well, and Id nick the bike without the chain/disk lock/cover/etc before the one with.

Same with houses, alarms are useless. When I was with the Constabulary,  I only ever went to ONE valid alarm and that was in a business premises during the night.  Otherwise you'd only get notified of an alarm when it pissed someone off.  Usually hours after it had gone off.  Waste of money.

I have spent zero on an alarm, however I have a good chain and my padlock alone was over £40.  It wont keep them away of they want it, but they'll look at the next bike before mine..  I'm sure..

• Like 1
embee

The only reason I have fitted a very cheap and cheerful motion sensor alarm is so that when camping it will let me (and everyone else on the campsite) know if anyone interferes with it at night. I wouldn't ever bother to set it if I wasn't within earshot. It doesn't interfere with anything electrical on the bike, no immobiliser function, it's just an alarm, and it has a hidden isolator switch to separate it from the bike battery when not in use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Andy m

Alarmed disc locks can also be useful this way. Abroad the lock itself is enough, here, with our world leading thieving scum you'd need a proper lock as well. When these cheap alarms go wrong they can be silenced or just dumped, no need for a ride on the AA van and a re-loom. 

I'm lucky with my neighbours, we do respond to house alarms. I still very much layer the defence, you've got a minimum of three devices to break and possibly a dog and a couple of old ladies with phone cameras if you want the CB. It's beyond what sell-down-the-pub scratters can handle and no one brings a shot gun or a laptop and radio transducer to nick a CB500. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
embee

I did use a Xena disc lock with alarm. The huge issue with these is that you have to unlock the thing to stop it, which in the middle of the night on a campsite fumbling bleary eyed for a key, crawling out of the tent, approaching a wailing alarm with a torch trying to shield your ears and fit the key in the lock ……………………. ermmmm, no.

I still use the lock, just no battery in it.

The cheapo auction site alarm has 2 remote controls, which seem to work. If they failed for some inexplicable reason, I know where the switch is hidden so I can just turn it off.

DaveM59

Do thieves really only target unprotected or ones easier than others? I got the impression that they targeted a certain model they particularly wanted and generally got them regardless of locks and alarms.

embee

The determined ones will have it regardless, using angle grinders to cut a section out of the disc if necessary, and just throw it in a van. You can't stop those. All you can do is make it more unattractive to the "casual" scrotes.

• Like 1
Andy m

There are various sorts of thief. 

Your chav scratter who'll either ride it home or just burn it out when the petrol is gone. Motive is boredom and a complete lack of respect for anything, skill level zero. 

Your wannabe gangster who is really just a chav scratter who's realised that burning/dumping it is a waste, sells it for parts on the auction site and uses the cash to buy drugs. Motive is expecting a free ride in life, skill level might run to smashing more than the ignition lock. 

Your actual vehicle thief is taking orders from Saudi Arabia or Russia for complete vehicles, Eastern Europe for parts. He wants newish Harleys and Ducati's and the odd Sports bike or GS. He has a van and a fair bit of skill. For something he wants he'll break into your house for they keys, for something really big he might bring a scanner or gun. 

The recent phenomena of scooter gangs is nothing to do with the vehicle, the bike is just a tribal talisman that marks the thief as one of the gang. 

With the exception of city tribes, they will all be put off if there is an easier option. The low level ones are defeated by good locks (but may do damage trying) the higher ones have the sense to see an increased chance of getting caught. If the top level ones want a yellow CB500f, they will indeed take mine, but chances are they  don't want it. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
neojynx
3 hours ago, DaveM59 said:

Do thieves really only target unprotected or ones easier than others? I got the impression that they targeted a certain model they particularly wanted and generally got them regardless of locks and alarms.

There are 2 main types.  Those who want the Ducatis / BMWs and high end bikes, with whatever security is on them and the ones who want the easy take, thats why scooters are so often stolen in London.  The NC I would guess (although they do get nicked) is not high on the list of stolen bikes in comparison.