O rings breaking up

Spindizzy

Spindizzy

Folks. An interesting one on my NCS. The image is from a KTM but the issue is identical. Small slivers of the O rings coming away. Always looked after the chain reasonably well, never had this on my X. Difference is on the X I used an oiler, on my S I use Silkolene Pro chain lube. Looks like slivers of the o ring 'X' section. Chain isn't wearing and no sign of escaping lube or tight links. I have reverted back to oiling as I think the chain lube encouraged lapping paste scenario.

Not sure how the chain life will continue from this point. I wont bother warranty claiming as lifes too short to argue this one. 

P9063016%20Small_zpsqzamcfpu.jpg

Edited by Spindizzy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Andy m

If you bend them do they break? Metal fatigues like a paper clip, rubber doesn't. 

Andy

Spindizzy
1 minute ago, Andy m said:

If you bend them do they break? Metal fatigues like a paper clip, rubber doesn't. 

Andy

No its rubber, stretchy. I snapped a few off

Edited by Spindizzy
Andy m

I don't think it's chemical, they tend to crumble to dust. 

The Grinding paste scenario would be similar? The rings reduced to nothing. 

If it's mechanical and all on one side maybe the alignment or worn sprockets moving something out of line? 

Andy

• Like 1
Spindizzy
Just now, Andy m said:

I don't think it's chemical, they tend to crumble to dust. 

The Grinding paste scenario would be similar? The rings reduced to nothing. 

If it's mechanical and all on one side maybe the alignment or worn sprockets moving something out of line? 

Andy

Both sides, everything lined up perfect (string). Sprockets like new, only 2k miles.

I am going with manufacturing fault, but if it hangs together I wont mind.

embee

It could be it's just moulding flash from the manufacture of the rings. Are they O-rings or X-rings? the X-rings will have very thin edges to the section and I can imagine getting small flash remnants when moulded, a bit like the pimples on a new tyre. Even on round section O-rings it's often possible to see a flash line round the outer diameter from the moulding.

As long as it still feels rubbery and stretchy without, as Andy says, being crumbly or gooey, thsn it's quite possibly nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Spindizzy
29 minutes ago, embee said:

It could be it's just moulding flash from the manufacture of the rings. Are they O-rings or X-rings? the X-rings will have very thin edges to the section and I can imagine getting small flash remnants when moulded, a bit like the pimples on a new tyre. Even on round section O-rings it's often possible to see a flash line round the outer diameter from the moulding.

As long as it still feels rubbery and stretchy without, as Andy says, being crumbly or gooey, thsn it's quite possibly nothing.

Not sure what they are. Seem more like O rings with a formed edge. I was able to flick up the pieces as I cleaned the chain. Very stretchy, not perished or crumbly. Its the OEM standard chain on the S whatever they fit. Best description of how they look is like a grommet with a lip each side. If its an X ring then the inner would still form a seal....I hope.

I cant work out how a sliver would be created, if it is just flashing then fab but seems too contoured for that.  

I will be oiling the rings from now on and a bit of canned spray lube for the rollers. 

Trumpet

Never known a chain to do that ... I'd ask the supplier for advice personally. O rings swell and go sticky if subjected to something they don't like, or even dissolve, so its not that. Possibly is from the moulding process.

Joeyjoejnr

I have had this happen on 2 chains before. One in my NC and the other on a cb400. Op do you use one of the gunge cleaning brushes to clean. The chain.  I used to use this type brush and I suspect it may damage the O rings. The bristles on the brush are quit harsh. Just a thought

skorpion
On 4/8/2019 at 12:17, Spindizzy said:

Not sure what they are. Seem more like O rings with a formed edge. I was able to flick up the pieces as I cleaned the chain. Very stretchy, not perished or crumbly. Its the OEM standard chain on the S whatever they fit. Best description of how they look is like a grommet with a lip each side. If its an X ring then the inner would still form a seal....I hope.

I cant work out how a sliver would be created, if it is just flashing then fab but seems too contoured for that.  

I will be oiling the rings from now on and a bit of canned spray lube for the rollers. 

I think I would take it back to a Honda dealer and show them, in my opinion it's faulty, though the standard chain is rubbish anyway..

Spindizzy
8 hours ago, Joeyjoejnr said:

I have had this happen on 2 chains before. One in my NC and the other on a cb400. Op do you use one of the gunge cleaning brushes to clean. The chain.  I used to use this type brush and I suspect it may damage the O rings. The bristles on the brush are quit harsh. Just a thought

no, just a soft rag soaked in Kerosene to wipe it down. While wiping it hooked a few up and there were a few showing anyway. What is strange is that when I snapped them off its hard to see any loss of rubber. I suspect its extruded itself from the seal of the X ring, albeit the remainder of the ring is sealing the chain still.

I will just keep going with it until it starts demanding adjustment too often then fit a decent DID continuous chain. Plan to lube the suspension  linkages at the same time anyway so will have the swing arm detached.

Definitely going to go back to oiling, never had an issue with an oiled chain, ever.

• Like 1
Spindizzy
2 hours ago, skorpion said:

I think I would take it back to a Honda dealer and show them, in my opinion it's faulty, though the standard chain is rubbish anyway..

You are correct, but think I would rather just replace with a decent chain when the time comes.

• 3 weeks later...
Slowboy

I had something similar on my 700x when I replaced the chain with a DID one. The X rings started swelling up. After a bit of tooing and froing with the supplier they replaced it on a "goodwill" basis. The problem never reappeared on the replacement chain. I didn't change my oiling or cleaning regime at all.

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1