Malcolm1975

Top box or panniers

Malcolm1975

New 19 plate dct 

Long story short I ordered bike with top box for commuting

Honda can't supply bracket to mount box until god knows when (customer cares words not mine ) 

They have offered to upgrade it to panniers free of charge anybody have genuine panniers care to tell me how practical they are 

It's mainly for carrying a suit for work on a Monday with a few spare shirts for the week

Originally I was going angle after a free extended warranty but don't think I'll get it now they have offered the panniers 

Mister Paul

+look better 

-make bike too wide

• Like 1

Andy m

Money back and Givi? 

Andy

• Like 1

Ciaran1602

From what I've seen the genuine panniers aren't too wide but they aren't very practical.

• Like 1

Malcolm1975

Looking at the pictures it doesn't seem to be any wider than the handlebars 

I don't think the givi thing is an option at the minute 

I know when I contacted givi prior to buying the bike they said at that time they don't list anything for the my19 (not that there is that much difference)

Yet honda state the bracket is different upto my19 and my19 onwards as they stock and sell the earlier one 

So ithink it's panniers or nothing ATM

Scootabout

Pretty unimpressive that neither Honda nor Givi can supply a rack for the 2019 bike. 

Tonyj

Top box all day for me.

• Like 2

Chris750
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Scootabout said:

Pretty unimpressive that neither Honda nor Givi can supply a rack for the 2019 bike. 

19 model year is colour change only, I've fitted Givi rack to one no problem, parts were listed as 750s/X 16 on from Bykebitz

20190409_221823.jpg

Edited by Chris750
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Woody 99
6 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

From what I've seen the genuine panniers aren't too wide but they aren't very practical.

I second that. Not sure you can fit a suit without it being folded multiple times. I’m not at home at the moment otherwise would check for you. I do agree with Ciaran, however, in that width is not a major issue. 

• Thanks 1

Tex
9 hours ago, Scootabout said:

I faced the same thing when I bought my ‘14. The rack changed colour to match some of the other plastics/grab handles and wasn’t available for some while after the bike. It’s perfectly understandable from a third party because they don’t know what model year changes will bring, but from the designers?? And Honda U.K. must have the worst website in the business. :( 

Mr Toad

The Honda panniers are the worst design and shape I've ever encountered.

However, they are not too wide, the handlebars are the widest point on the bike.

While the panniers may be rubbish for touring they are perfectly capable of taking a suit, some shirts, shoes etc. probably. Yes you'll need to fold your stuff carefully but that's true of most panniers and transporting a suit.

I've never been a top box fan either.

skorpion
12 hours ago, Malcolm1975 said:

New 19 plate dct 

Long story short I ordered bike with top box for commuting

Honda can't supply bracket to mount box until god knows when (customer cares words not mine ) 

They have offered to upgrade it to panniers free of charge anybody have genuine panniers care to tell me how practical they are 

It's mainly for carrying a suit for work on a Monday with a few spare shirts for the week

Originally I was going angle after a free extended warranty but don't think I'll get it now they have offered the panniers 

Rack and panniers that fit 2016 on will fit, try SHAD,  small 23lt panniers 48lt topbox then you can leave your helmet locked inside the topbox.

Malcolm1975

So I've decided to wait for the top box bracket from honda ETA about 3-5 weeks 

Managed to get an extended warranty out of them plus a genuine Honda optimate 

They also offered British superbike tickets but I declined them as I am not a bike racing fan 

• Like 1

Rocker66
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Malcolm1975 said:

So I've decided to wait for the top box bracket from honda ETA about 3-5 weeks 

Managed to get an extended warranty out of them plus a genuine Honda optimate 

They also offered British superbike tickets but I declined them as I am not a bike racing fan 

That sounds fair enough. As to the tickets you could have taken them and sold them on or maybe given them to a charity to use in a raffle.but if your happy with what you have been offered  that’s good.

When I retired one of the gifts from workmates were two BSB tickets for Brands. At the time I was physically unable to use them so I passed them on to a friend of Sue’s on condition they made a donation of half the face value to the Air Ambulance Appeal.

Edited by Rocker66

Malcolm1975
24 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

That sounds fair enough. As to the tickets you could have taken them and sold them on or maybe given them to a charity to use in a raffle.but if your happy with what you have been offered  that’s good.

When I retired one of the gifts from workmates were two BSB tickets for Brands. At the time I was physically unable to use them so I passed them on to a friend of Sue’s on condition they made a donation of half the face value to the Air Ambulance Appeal.

That's a lovely idea pity I didn't think about that earlier 

I gave a car away once a crx convertible on the proviso they gave a donation to a local cancer charity 

the car was not to be sold on only given away with donation to a charity of their choosing

it's now in its 3rd new owner since me and so far every one has stuck to the rules 

• Like 2

paulj

Malcolm 

i have a 17 plate nc750x I have a spare Honda 39l top box arms and baseplate for sale, I changed to givi Aluminium boxes....  any use to you ?

paul

MPG100
Posted (edited)

Good news, the Honda panniers are no wider than the handle bars and look good but the bad news is the heavily sculptured shape means a lunchbox and bottle of water effectively fills a pannier ~ doh! So i'm erring towards buying boxy looking metal panniers eg GIVI TRK33 (33litres) etc as these don't look much wider than the handlebars and being boxy possess a useful volume. But as they are so boxy, ie unsculptured, PLS CAN ANYONE TELL ME do they leave enough room for the pillion's legs????????? Also how hard is it to get your leg over when mounting (am referring to the bike with metal boxy panniers fitted and not the pillion!)? Thks

Edited by MPG100

Mr Toad
6 hours ago, MPG100 said:

Good news, the Honda panniers are no wider than the handle bars and look good but the bad news is the heavily sculptured shape means a lunchbox and bottle of water effectively fills a pannier ~ doh! So i'm erring towards buying boxy looking metal panniers eg GIVI TRK33 (33litres) etc as these don't look much wider than the handlebars and being boxy possess a useful volume. But as they are so boxy, ie unsculptured, PLS CAN ANYONE TELL ME do they leave enough room for the pillion's legs????????? Also how hard is it to get your leg over when mounting (am referring to the bike with metal boxy panniers fitted and not the pillion!)? Thks

Panniers and their fixings are designed with a pillion in mind where the bike has a pillion seat.

I've never had a problem getting on any bike with a set of panniers, however, there is the usual caveat that it really depends on the individual and what the state of your joints and their flexibility is. You see 80 year olds throwing their leg over without any problem while a 50 year old with a dodgy hip will struggle.

Mister Paul
12 hours ago, MPG100 said:

Standing on the peg when getting your leg over helps.

Malcolm1975
On 4/15/2019 at 00:03, paulj said:

Malcolm 

i have a 17 plate nc750x I have a spare Honda 39l top box arms and baseplate for sale, I changed to givi Aluminium boxes....  any use to you ?

paul

Appreciate the offer but I paid the dealer for these and the ETA for the modified bracket is a few weeks away now I'm told