1st Annual Service..Par for the course?

Rosewellian

Rosewellian

£230... With a labour rate of £80ph is what my main dealer charging par for the course. 

2C6CD501-511D-4127-ABE8-1BB272989B29.jpeg

Edited by Rosewellian
  • Sad 2
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andy m

• alhendo1

• Ciaran

• Andywills77

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One reason I do my own.    I do not believe you have to have them do this to keep the warranty. It only eases the pain if you claim. That said, they can reject any claim for mis-use anyway.

For that sort of money I would do much more than that.     Oops sorry wrong forum.. Just saw chains and lube and started typing..  

Which is fine , its an implied discount. We rent you this vehicle for X so long as you do Y and Z. If you tried to negotiate rental with home service they say its a gazillion quid a month, so no marke

Posted Images

arengle

£80/hour is reasonable, but I don't understand why they charge 2 hours a labor for annual service, usually is only one

1 hour ago, arengle said:

£80/hour is reasonable, but I don't understand why they charge 2 hours a labor for annual service, usually is only one

I did my own 600 mile service but ISTR the dealer was offering a discounted £80 rather than £140 (1 hour + oil/filters etc).

Looking at my owner's manual there is a lot more stuff to inspect at the annual service compared to the 600 mile. Probably rounded up if it goes over an hour.

skorpion

Had my 2017 X in for first year annual service £190 inc replacing split front brake caliper rubbers.

Far too expensive for a low mileage rider, going to do the servicing myself from now on.

trisaki

£230 for basically an oil change , wow that's BMW territory   , I would have pulled the brakes to pieces , cleaned,  lubed etc ,, checked wheel alignment  , cleaned and adjusted  chain  and changed the dct filter  at my wshop  near arundel  for that sort of money  , 

• Like 4
neojynx

2 hours for an oil and filter change, ouch.  I can do that in about 30 minutes including the DCT filter.  An hour's labour is about right, 2 hours? out of order.

neojynx
16 minutes ago, trisaki said:

I would have pulled the brakes to pieces , cleaned,  lubed etc ,, checked wheel alignment  , cleaned and adjusted  chain  and changed the dct filter  at my wshop  near arundel  for that sort of money  , 

For that sort of money I would do much more than that.  

Oops sorry wrong forum.. Just saw chains and lube and started typing..  

• Haha 5
riders in the storm

That is an expensive way of keeping the warranty watertight intact.  Mine will be home serviced including the 600 mile service and I will just have to take my chances with the warranty.

For reference, a local VW dealer did the first service on our Audi A3 for £99 using genuine VAG parts, at that price it was worth it to keep the warranty, and a local Fiat dealer did the first service on my Camper for £99, (got me over a barrel, it needs special software to reset the oil degradation counter).

£230 for a bike oil change is more than I would pay, but fully appreciate we all make our own choices.....  

Rosewellian

Ok thanks for above data i thought it felt a tad expensive will take it up with the owner. 

What also surprised me was it clearly had not even had road dirt washed off  ☹️

Andy m

One reason I do my own. 

I do not believe you have to have them do this to keep the warranty. It only eases the pain if you claim. That said, they can reject any claim for mis-use anyway. If they are the cause, this is exactly what they will do. 

I will do anyone's oil change service for one bottle of decent red or four bottles of proper beer and a packet of suitable biscuits. You provide the oil and filter, but get to share the biscuits. I will stamp your service book. The bike will only be washed round the drain plug and filter unless you want a go on my jet wash while I eat biscuits. Tuition is free. BTW, I take my tea strong with a tiny splash of milk and the dog prefers playing ball to watching oil changes. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
Scootabout

Those are the charges. They may have checked/lubed/adjusted as per the schedule. Did they give you a checklist, though? Dobles does. 

Why did you get it serviced at 3565 miles? Interval is 8,000. I don't see the point of getting it done annually, really. You could do some basic lubing of cables, stand, etc yourself in the interim, I'd have thought? 

Ciaran
3 minutes ago, Scootabout said:

Those are the charges. They may have checked/lubed/adjusted as per the schedule. Did they give you a checklist, though? Dobles does. 

Why did you get it serviced at 3565 miles? Interval is 8,000. I don't see the point of getting it done annually, really. You could do some basic lubing of cables, stand, etc yourself in the interim, I'd have thought? 

The warranty book stipulates you have to get it done on at 8000 miles or on an annual basis whichever comes soonest, I believe. That being said beyond the 600 mile service I would be sorely tempted to take your chances if I'm honest.

Edited by Ciaran1602
  • Like 1
Mark8arker

If your bike is purchased on PCP agreement and you dont srvicesit  what happens on its return?

alhendo1

I asked a couple of questions regarding servicing when I had my NC750x...here are the responses via email from Honda Customer Service. ..I have retained the emails for reference...

"What we can provide is a general guidance as shown in the Owner’s manual of the models. Please find attached pictures in this e-mail. According to this information, each routine service should be done every 12 months or 8000 miles (whichever comes first).

Also, when it comes to servicing the vehicle, naturally we would always recommend the expertise of our authorised Honda dealers. That way we can guarantee that the service provided is up to Honda approved standards, all replacement parts will be Honda genuine ones and that the vehicle will be taken care of in the best way possible.

However, this is not a mandatory approach that you can take. If you decide to go with an alternative dealership, you might want to consider the following things:

·   To keep records of all the receipts/invoices and documentation given at each service

·   To make sure that all parts used, are Honda genuine ones

·   To work with trained technicians, who are familiar with the Honda service standards

·   Should an issue occur as a result of any service/repair done by an independent garage, the part/unit/system affected will invalidate the warranty on that same component."

I asked how long past your service date mileage you can go without invalidating the warranty...after a bit of faff I received this...

"As advised we would not have an official grace period that will be listed in your documentation, however anything up to 500 miles and 2 months would be deemed as acceptable in terms of maintenance by our technical consultants."

• Like 1
Andywills77
9 hours ago, alhendo1 said:

I asked a couple of questions regarding servicing when I had my NC750x...here are the responses via email from Honda Customer Service. ..I have retained the emails for reference...

"What we can provide is a general guidance as shown in the Owner’s manual of the models. Please find attached pictures in this e-mail. According to this information, each routine service should be done every 12 months or 8000 miles (whichever comes first).

Also, when it comes to servicing the vehicle, naturally we would always recommend the expertise of our authorised Honda dealers. That way we can guarantee that the service provided is up to Honda approved standards, all replacement parts will be Honda genuine ones and that the vehicle will be taken care of in the best way possible.

However, this is not a mandatory approach that you can take. If you decide to go with an alternative dealership, you might want to consider the following things:

·   To keep records of all the receipts/invoices and documentation given at each service

·   To make sure that all parts used, are Honda genuine ones

·   To work with trained technicians, who are familiar with the Honda service standards

·   Should an issue occur as a result of any service/repair done by an independent garage, the part/unit/system affected will invalidate the warranty on that same component."

I asked how long past your service date mileage you can go without invalidating the warranty...after a bit of faff I received this...

"As advised we would not have an official grace period that will be listed in your documentation, however anything up to 500 miles and 2 months would be deemed as acceptable in terms of maintenance by our technical consultants."

Pretty much the same as what you'll get if asking the same question for cars

alhendo1

Not quite...initially the customer service said there would be no leeway....it was only when I used the example of my car that they came back with some parameters..

• Like 1
alhendo1
16 hours ago, Mark8arker said:

If your bike is purchased on PCP agreement and you dont srvicesit  what happens on its return?

I'd imagine you'd have to service it at a main agent not an independent as the final value of a pcp is based on mileage/condition/service history....best to check with Honda Customer Service though..

Andy m

Which is fine , its an implied discount. We rent you this vehicle for X so long as you do Y and Z. If you tried to negotiate rental with home service they say its a gazillion quid a month, so no market , so no offer.

The Triumph stance of no dealer service no warranty breaks the spirit of the law if not the fact. I keep hoping they sell a QC a bike the reject his paint warranty because his dealer used the wrong oil or left it 500 miles too late. Until its tested and proven unfair they'll continue giving bikes away and selling over priced service to the fearful.

Actually, no, I like this plan. I buy for the same as you. I do my own serving and am subsidised by owners who don't 😈

Andy

• Like 4
riders in the storm
3 hours ago, Andywills77 said:

Highly likely main dealer requirement. It'll be buried in the PCP t&cs.

The same discussion crops up regularly on an Audi forum I am a member of........

But nobody who has actually bought an Audi on a PCP has ever come on the forum to say that they have got in trouble for home servicing or indeed Indy servicing....

Has anybody on here actually really fallen foul of handing a Honda bike back at the end of the PCP period, in otherwise perfect condition, but had a penalty imposed because it didn't have main dealer servicing....??  I think I can guess the answer but am interested in anybody with a documentable story ?

Andy m

A car is covered by legislation. The car maker has to sell parts and allow anyone qualified to do the work. This is the law the bike makers could be judged to be acting unfairly against even though it states it applies to cars. It's why many back down when pressed.

Andy

fj_stuart

The "annual service" sounds like a total crock to me. How can the requirement for an oil & filter change be based on time rather than miles?

Walklikegump

If I go by  the 500 mile 2 month quote then considering in ten months I have done 1000 miles. My next delayed service will be at 1400 miles.....  Ouch . That's a alot per mile.

The only way to improve the figures is to actually ride the damn bike. Who is the furthest member from Leicester who has a Coffee machine?   I'm coming for a cuppa. 

• Haha 2
Andy m
29 minutes ago, fj_stuart said:

The "annual service" sounds like a total crock to me. How can the requirement for an oil & filter change be based on time rather than miles?

The oil breather is open so some moisture gets in a unused engine. 

Why 1 year though is the same as why 8000 miles. It's what the market will stand. If you analyse the oil, most vehicles can seriously exceed the set time/distance. Going with the 99th percentile use sells more oil. 

Andy

• Like 1
trisaki
1 hour ago, Walklikegump said:

If I go by  the 500 mile 2 month quote then considering in ten months I have done 1000 miles. My next delayed service will be at 1400 miles.....  Ouch . That's a alot per mile.

The only way to improve the figures is to actually ride the damn bike. Who is the furthest member from Leicester who has a Coffee machine?   I'm coming for a cuppa. 

My wshop  is near arundel west Sussex  , kettle is always warm  !!!

• Like 2