Breather tube oil leak

axis

Hi all - I'd welcome some advice on this please. Recently I've noticed a small leak of oil which looks to be coming from the black pipe that exits near the side stand. 

The only recent change on the bike (2014 NC750X) is a valve check a month or so ago. No new fluids. Any thoughts on what this might be ? thanks

kayz1

If they have put in to much oil it will push a little into the air box, then out of the clear plastic tube at the front on some models, again if over filled the engine breather will deposit a little through that tube when ridden briskly :ahappy: check the fill level first and slow down A-N-other thing can be mileage ring/piston/barrel wear and gas blow by..But it will be the over fill it is after all a Honda..:drool:

Lyn. 

• Like 1
Grumpy old man

Could it be chain lube/oil running off the front sprocket on to the pipe?

• Like 1
steelhorseuk
40 minutes ago, Grumpy old man said:

Could it be chain lube/oil running off the front sprocket on to the pipe?

First thing I thought of also. Have you lubed the chain recently ?

I tend to get a puddle of oil like substance on the floor close to the centre stand after I lube the chain.

You should be able to clearly tell the difference between engine oil and small globs of chain cleaner on the floor though...

Hope it is something silly like that anyway .....

PoppetM

I thought that black tube was some sort of petrol overflow? Or at least I only noticed leakage on the forecourt after overflowing the tank... 

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses folks - could be chain oil, but i've had a tutoro from day-1 and never had anything leak from there until the last week or so. Will investigate further this weekend

embee

I suspect the thing you are referring to is the fuel drain tube. There is a drain tube from the rubber apron round the fuel filler which tees into the fuel overfill spill tube which comes from the small tower at the top of the tank, as Poppet said. You can try pouring a little water into the apron to see if that's where it runs out.

If it is this, then any oily type drips from it are, as the others say, likely to be from chain lube. It could be from fuel overspill or overflow which has evaporated the volatile parts leaving the thicker residues which eventually drip out.

Item 13 is the lowest part which you see. 

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/750-MOTO/NC/2015/NC750XAE/Frame/--RESERVOIR-A-CARBURANT-POMPE-A-CARBURANT-CRF1000A2-D2-/71520/F_16/2/25739

--RESERVOIR-A-CARBURANT-POMPE-A-CARBURANT-CRF1000A2-D2-Honda-MOTO-750-NC-2015-NC750XAE-F_16.jpg.9894bd77f5f22d3c88016a6dcedd6a8b.jpg

PoppetM

Yay. .so I wasn't being stupid :angel:

• Haha 1
outrunner
On 10/04/2019 at 15:20, axis said:

Thanks for the responses folks - could be chain oil, but i've had a tutoro from day-1 and never had anything leak from there until the last week or so. Will investigate further this weekend

When was the last time you took the front sprocket cover off and cleaned the inside? Crud/chain oil can build up in there and eventually it will leave oily drips on the ground makint it look like an oil leak.

Andy.