DCT creep anyone?

Mike5100

Mike5100

I'm on my 5th DCT bike (An africa Twin) but this latest one has a slight pressure when it's in gear.  I have to hold it back with my feet when on level ground and that pressure disappears immediately when i put it in neutral.  This happens anytime - in fact it's no worse during warm up which I expected it to be - and it doesn;t matter whether I have just come to a stop or I haven;t even started off to go anywhere, there is that gentle pressure when in drive at a standstill.  Don't get me wrong - it's not a big problem, but I never noticed this on any of my previous DCT bikes.  I thought it would correct itself at the 600 service (new oil) and the dealer says he's done a DCT reset but it hasn;t altered the behaviour - which he has noticed too.

So - anyone have this with an NC?

Mike

• Like 1
ste7ios

Compare it with other ATs to have your answer...

There’s always a small drag with the NC DCT but nothing noticeable and no need to keep it with feet...

ChrisCB

Hi Mike, not had this on my CRF but one of my 750's had a similar problem, even though the idle speed was ok it turned out the throttle cables had no free play, worth checking. Did they use the right oil? Also another way to "reset" the shift points is to warm the engine by riding the bike then find a nice straight road and from a standstill in D nail it to max revs up to 6th.

Tonyj

My NC does this , both did . Crosstourer doesn’t then again that weighs a ton 😊

embee

Do the clutch initialisation procedure yourself. It is only a matter of pushing buttons and is free.

It is not a "reset" as such, kit allows the clutch control to determine where the take up points are (electrical signal wise for the solenoids).

It MUST be fully warm when it is done.

I'm not sure what the exact procedure is for the AT but it will almost certainly be very much like the NC.

My NC700 had very abrupt take-up of drive which made it tricky to make smooth progress in stop/start traffic. I did the procedure and it completely cured it, so it can help with certain issues of clutch take-up.

As said by others, it's probably best to stick to the oil viscosity recommended by Honda (I guess 10W30, so if 10W40 has been used, which is quite possible, it may drag more), and check the level is absolutely right and not overfilled at all.

• Like 2
Mike5100

Thanks guys - This is my second Africa twin DCT so I am comparing the new one with both an AT and 3 NCs.

Yes Murray you have made me doubt whether they did the reset with the bike throughly warm.  The procedure is very similar to the NC procedure - I will have to dig it out.

I think they will have used the right oil - they did most of my NC services and they use the recommended Honda ones.

No throttle cables on this one Chris :aww:

Mike

• Like 1
ChrisCB
17 minutes ago, Mike5100 said:

No throttle cables on this one Chris :aww:

Mike

Perhaps the wire is too tight :angel:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Mike5100
13 minutes ago, Chris750 said: