Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm1975

Not sure what I need to add lights

Malcolm1975
Posted (edited)

The bike is a 2019 x 

Sorry if this has been done to death but I would.like some clarity please 

I want to add some decent running lights and some some spot lights maybe a all-in one unit that does both 

I had Denali d1 on my  GS years ago and thought they were great 

Now this is where i am confused 

It's my understanding and please correct me if I am wrong that I can't take a feed from the headlight led driver as this can burn out 

So do I need the sub harness from honda to add any additional components  I don't mind buying it if it it makes things like lights plug and play power source  it's just every accessory electrical wise honda always say you need the sub harness 

Or so I take a feed elsewhere 

Thank you in advance 

Edited by Malcolm1975

Andywills77
Posted (edited)

You'll probably need the sub harness and relay kit. You might find additional lights exceed the fuse for the sub harness so use the sub harness to power an additional relay (it's gives you a switched live without the need to cut wires) - plenty of room by the battery to stuff the relay in

If you use the sub harness, get enough connectors and wire for all three connections and then coil the wire on the unused connectors in the front left air cover (or by the battery). It makes it far easier for future upgrades

It took me longer to get the panels off and then back on than it did to wire in heated grips and a usb socket, hence why I put the loose wires in

Edited by Andywills77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

cazmal

Here's how I did mine

I used a Fuzeblock taking the switched connection from the rear light.  Using the Fuzeblock allows you to wire other accessories (charging point, heated grips for example) to the bike by simply opening it up and connecting to a spare fused connector.

Malcolm1975

Thank you so much for the replies 

Looking at lights in the next few days so will post back 

deecat

I have use the same Honda sub harness on all four of the NCX I have owned without any problems .

I use heated grips,spotlights ,autocom ,chain oiler and sat nav running off the switched live.

The spotlights that I now use on both of my bikes are the one's of the auction site that look like BMW ones but cost around £80.00 a pair.

These lights make for safer riding at night on unlit roads and have proven to be more durable than the cheaper £40 ones that I had previously used which kept fogging over

• Like 1

Malcolm1975

21 hours ago, deecat said:

I have use the same Honda sub harness on all four of the NCX I have owned without any problems .

I use heated grips,spotlights ,autocom ,chain oiler and sat nav running off the switched live.

The spotlights that I now use on both of my bikes are the one's of the auction site that look like BMW ones but cost around £80.00 a pair.

These lights make for safer riding at night on unlit roads and have proven to be more durable than the cheaper £40 ones that I had previously used which kept fogging over

Maybe I’m being thick but what is this sub harness I keep reading about 

is it simply a case of plugging this harness in and that’s al I need to take my live feeds from etc 

do do you have a link to your lights please 

kayz1

The sub harnessis a Honda mini loom, it plugs into the bikes loom and gives you a couple or three ( depends upon the model ) of 12volt feeds.

Switched and perminant 12v...also needed as said already is a fuse and relay kit that is plugged into the fuse box to complete the circuit.

You can then pick up the switched live you need to power the lamps of your choice..

• Like 1

wendeg

The sub harness on my 2016 XA only gave switched live (3 feeds). My Garmin is powered through one of these feeds... the auxiliary lights are powered directly from the battery but one of the feeds of the said sub harness is used to give me switched live to trigger the light's relay

deecat
3 hours ago, Malcolm1975 said:

The ones on Bang good site for BMW R1200 gs , plus the harness are the type that I have used.

There is a guy on the V-Strom  UK site (Big Pie) who makes up a relay kit which I have fitted to the V-strom 1000 which powers the same items as on the NC750 X,

I am starting to look at a possible replacement for the Honda and if it goes ahead I will be getting one of his units to power any accessories that I fit.

• Like 1