Wheel (im)balance

wjvh

My usually smooth (ish) NC700S developed a serious case of the vibes about 10 days ago. I soon honed in on a likely missing rear wheel balancing weight seeing as the rear wheel was devoid of such which I felt was an unnatural situation. I then bought the cheapest free standing wheel balancer via everyone’s favourite online auction site ...

said balancer arrived today, straight on it tonight, 20 mins of balancing and I settled on a single 5g weight. Quick test ride .... and yep, back to normal (that is not to say vibe free, but not noticeable under normal conditions). So there you go, a big compromise on comfort came down to just 5g of zinc on the rear wheel.

• Like 4

Good bit of diagnostics, and living proof that small things do matter. 

• Like 1

When fitting a tyre, car or bike. Feel inside the tyre for the ridge (bulge) where the ply's overlap. Fit this opposite the valve and you'll often do away with the need for any weights at all.

Despite what any coloured dots may suggest....

Might be worth checking the wheel bearings if the vibration persists.

2 hours ago, R0bi said:

and damper rubbers

I replaced those in December when I bought the bike and after tyre fitters had put the originals back incorrectly so they shouldn’t be a problem. I did a quick check on the bearings but I believe these were replaced about 6k miles ago so hopefully also ok. Both good points and I will keep an eye on these things too. Cheers, Will

20 hours ago, wjvh said:

I replaced those in December when I bought the bike and after tyre fitters had put the originals back incorrectly so they shouldn’t be a problem. I did a quick check on the bearings but I believe these were replaced about 6k miles ago so hopefully also ok. Both good points and I will keep an eye on these things too. Cheers, Will

Good job