IanSmart

Fitting Autocom to NC750S

IanSmart
Posted (edited)

Has anyone already done this and got any tips.  Haven't found anything by searching the forum other than someone trying to fix with lego which didn't work.  Things I'm puzzling over are where to mount and how to get the rider and passenger leads accessible without drilling lots of holes in the frunk.

Edited by IanSmart

Tonto

Not done it myself as am now all bluetoth but the obvious place to put the Autocom would be under the rear seat. Power can be run from back light ( ignition switched) and leads for pillion and rider from under both seats.

arengle
Posted (edited)

best will be to get a bluetooth system, if you want to get a wired one, then probably the best option will be on the left side of the trunk, between the trunk and panel. if you put it there the optional harness is also located there so you will get the supply close and you can run the headset wires under the seat without drilling any hole, but will not be accessible. if you need access to it then put it in the trunk and run the wires via the battery panel around the front and left/right side of the trunk to the seat.

(my advice is based on the X model, I think S is similar)

Edited by arengle

IanSmart

Looking to use existing unit I’ll be taking from my FJR. 

Andy m

Do they still have those massive DIN plugs? 

Think I'd mount the brick under the pillion seat and run the ridees wire and power forwards. You can get from the frame into the battery area under the helmet locker where the main cable runs. Bring the Autocom wires out under the side panels. 

Bluetooth is easier and better. Time to upgrade? 

Andy

IanSmart

Yes they do, not sure the boss will agree to an upgrade, took all my negotiating skills to persuade her I needed a new bike after 12 years of ownership of the FJR. 😂

pjm

The difference between my old DIN plug Autocom and my Sena Bluetooth is night and day. Well worth the investment. Even the bottom of the range SMH5 outstripped my old Autocom and I was using that when I could still hear.

• Like 1

deecat

We are still happy with our Autocom sps unit which we swap from bike to bike .

It does fit under the rear tail section  on the Honda and the two helmet wires come out under the seat.

Which ever bike we are on on holiday I take the unit out when parked overnight.

I have wired in a power supply on both bikes with the same plug,so swapping over is not a problem.

When my sat nav packs in I might have to look at going down the wireless route,but on thing that does concern me is having something stuck on the side of my helmet causing wind noise.

• Like 1

Andy m

I have a Bluetooth and camera out there, no additional noise as far as I can tell. 

Andy

fred_jb
Posted (edited)

I used an Autocom on the last bike as the only solution I could find at the time which allowed an intercom link between myself and my wife while at the same time allowing us both to hear navigation announcements from our phone based satnav via a feed from its headphone socket into the Autocom.  I find it really useful for us both to hear the nav instructions, so definitely wanted that capability.

With the new bike, I didn't want to duplicate the fairly complicated installation of the Autocom, and its dangling wires, and after much searching I have now found an alternative Bluetooth based solution using Dimtron M1-S headsets (About £90 per pair, and also sold under other names) which use the latest Bluetooth V4 standard - many headsets have compatibility issues these days due to only supporting the older V3 standard.

These particular headsets were advertised as allowing navigation instructions to be passed from the rider's headset which is paired to a satnav, to the pillion headset, at the same time as the intercom link to the pillion remains open. However, I found that there is a catch with this - it only works when the pairing with the satnav (in my case a phone) uses the basic Bluetooth HFP (hands free protocol) which provides a mic/mono sound connection to the headset.

Unfortunately these days most devices use the Bluetooth A2DP stereo streaming interface, including the audio output from phones running satnav apps.  Phones normally only revert to HFP for handling phone calls, but the headset can only connect with an A2DP source, or run the intercom, but not both at the same time.  Dimtron were very helpful when I contacted them and actually produced a beta version of their firmware which could do both, but it was a bit unreliable with drop-outs and distortion, though they were willing to try to improve it, but I think it is a result of the limited processing power in the headsets.

The solution I eventually found was an app for my Android phone called Dynamic Media BT Router which detects Bluetooth output and switches it to use the basic mono HFP standard instead of A2DP.  This works perfectly, so I now have a wire-free solution which does exactly what I want, and we could also use it to both hear music from the phone if we wanted, albeit in mono, though I don't generally listen to music on the bike.

Edited by fred_jb

IanSmart

Well now I’ve got the bike don’t think there’s enough room under the seat to put the unit. Looks like a new Bluetooth system will be in the offing.