Sign in to follow this  
electric_monk

Spotlight wiring

electric_monk

I have just fitted a set of Clearwater spotlights to my 750 X and am almost finished wiring them. I'm hoping that someone can recommend the most convenient places to tap into a live feed AND the high beam wiring.

thanks

GaryBee

use the above link which will give you an idea (hopefully it will work)

ncx19

you should use a separate relay.

power feed for lamps direct from battery with a fuse in an accessible location and feed one side of relay contacts.

the other side of contacts to the lamp/s

You will need to test probe the wires going to the headlight to identify the high beam lead.

Tap that to feed the coil of the relay, and the other side of the coil is a lead to ground.

Its a simple job, though access to the headlight wiring will be the trickier part of the job.

I'm waiting for parts to do my own.  Once Ive installed, hopefully Ill remember to come back and update how I accessed the headlight wiring.

kayz1

What year is the bike?

DO NOT tap into any head lamp wires if they are LED lamps....the bike will/does have a socket pre wired in the loom if they are LED'd

for the spot lamp wiring ..down load the Honda parts how to from the Honda site for your model. This will give you all the detail on

where bits are..

• Like 1

ncx19
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, kayz1 said:

the bike will/does have a socket pre wired in the loom if they are LED'd

for the spot lamp wiring ..down load the Honda parts how to from the Honda site for your model. This will give you all the detail on

where bits are..

That would be the best if one exists, and very convenient. Are you suggesting the lead is switched with high beam, or just a source of power?

I have ordered the NC's relay and wiring harness kit to get an ignition controlled feed for mine vs the battery.

Plus I have other accessories I want an ignition switched feed for.

Though the spots wont come on with a separate relay and direct battery lead, as the high beam lead cant be powered  when the bike is off.

You dont need to go the factory accessory relay/harness route just to add only spots.

And im adding spots ... ie I only want them on when hi-beam is selected.

Taping into the high beam lead to trigger the relay though, is a very low current application and appropriate..

Obviously trying to feed spots from the high beam lead is a bad idea.  You should use a separate direct battery feed, hence a relay.

Edited by ncx19

GaryBee

As Lyn asked, in order to help you out we need a little more information such as model year. If you have an LED headlight do NOT try and get a trigger signal from it for the high beam unless you are 100% sure you know what you are doing as you will take out something expensive. As far as I am aware no-one on here has managed to get extra lights synched to their LED high beam due to the complexity of them. If anyone knows otherwise please share how you did it as I would like to know how too. I have simple fuse block from Nippy Normans that takes power direct from the battery and is switched by the accessory loom signal to enable me to run my accessories.

ncx19

Just wired my spots today.  Finding the high beam wire at the LED headlight was more digging than I wanted to get into.  In my mind it was going to be just find the connector easily, and it wasnt.  Probed with my piercing prod, and located the high beam switch lead fairly easily after following the cable down about where I wanted to tap in.

Took over an hour to setup, but working as I expected, and no issues using high beam switch lead to trigger the relay I added.

If you have a separate handlebar switch you want to control your spots - then this isnt necessary.

Ditto for ones you want on all the time, eg fogs or low beams for visibility. In that case, I'd suggest using the Honda accessory fusebox relay and extension cable. The relay is only activated when the key is on.  Mine is still on backorder, but will be adding for other accessories.