DCT clutch filter

rjp996

rjp996

I’m wondering if anyone knows if you can take the clutch filter out without draining the oil. 

Im sort of thinking you could as I’m expecting it’s only Fed via the oil pump ?

reason asking is I’ve just serviced started  the bike, but will need to get back into the dct filter and am wondering if to fill it up with oil now or have to lay the bike up for the week whilst waiting a part as to not waste £40 of oils having to drain and re fill

Edited by rjp996

I can't imagine much oil being trapped above the level indicated by the dip stick. Rags in place should catch any.

Anyway, if I'd given the sump plug a thorough clean I'd just put the same oil back in again.

For my 600 mile service, as scheduled, I replaced the O ring (91302-PA9-003 for my bike) with the clutch oil filter.

Just remembered, in the past I've also used a syringe and tubing to pull a bit oil out through the filler when slightly over-filled.

embee

No problem at all changing the DCT filter without draining the oil. At most a couple of teaspoons of oil come out, as you say it's connected to the oil pressure feed and then on to the solenoids.

The new filter is marked with the outside end stamped, you can't really get it wrong. The spring is loose but can't fall inside, so no worry. The O-ring should be fine for numerous uses, I haven't replaced mine yet and I do the DCT filter every oil change (even though it says every other). Just be careful putting the cover back on, getting the O-ring engaged in the bore, and don't overtighten the bolts. You can compress the spring with finger pressure, try to hold the cover fully in when fitting the bolts so it doesn't tilt.

neojynx

After 6 oil changes so far (and I change the DCT filter every time) I haven't changed the O ring..

Edited by neojynx
rjp996

Thanks for the responses. I think this is the 4th winter my bike has endured and this one has taken its toll. When I was servicing it a lot of the bolts and fasterners seemed to have suffered from water and salt ingress in the treads binding them up somewhat. 

Had to use a bolt extractor on the sump plug that had welded its self to the sump, and one of the DCT clutch oil filter bolts was equity seized in to the extent removing it I think weakened the bolt and on reinsertion, just went like butter and broke in two, leaving some of the thread in the crank case !!!

anyhow seems the oil ring does its job and it's not leaving with only one bolt, and it's a weekend with a left handed drill to extract it coming up. Going to put an order in for a big bag of A2 bolts...

kayz1

think i have both covers here if needed by any body will check in the morning.

• Thanks 1