Accessing Rear Light Bulb

DWS

Hi All,

Just purchased a 2015 NC750X but got the wrong owner's manual with it, the manual I received was for the later models with LED rear lights, mine has conventional bulbs.

My question is; how do I access the rear light bulb?  I can't seem to find any way to remove the rear light lens or light unit? 

Cheers, Dave.

neojynx
13 hours ago, DWS said:

Hi All,

Just purchased a 2015 NC750X but got the wrong owner's manual with it, the manual I received was for the later models with LED rear lights, mine has conventional bulbs.

My question is; how do I access the rear light bulb?  I can't seem to find any way to remove the rear light lens or light unit? 

Cheers, Dave.

Been there done that.. Its a pig.

OK, you need to take out the screw which holds the black plastic flap up underneath.  Once out, there is a large bolt with a cross head, it goes at about 45 degrees from hoizontal towards the light cluster.  You will probably need an impact driver to unscrew it.  It is also a pig.

Once off, you then need to remove the 2 screws which are underneath and point upwards.  Once the 4 items are undone, you can get at the bulb.

It was so bad, I have not replaced the large screw I had to take off with the impact driver.

Good luck.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, neojynx said:

OK, you need to take out the screw which holds the black plastic flap up underneath.  Once out, there is a large bolt with a cross head, it goes at about 45 degrees from hoizontal towards the light cluster.  You will probably need an impact driver to unscrew it.  It is also a pig.

Once off, you then need to remove the 2 screws which are underneath and point upwards.  Once the 4 items are undone, you can get at the bulb.

It was so bad, I have not replaced the large screw I had to take off with the impact driver.

Good luck.

Thanks for that, that's really good to know.  Thank you.

Dave

neojynx

I haven't done the front on yet, but by the looks of it, ill need the hands of a Capuchin Monkey to be able to swap the bulb out.

Brigante7

The rear bulb is easy after the 1st time, I'm about to do my 4th rear bulb in just over a year, I can almost do it with my eyes shut.

Brigante7.

neojynx
2 minutes ago, Brigante7 said:

The rear bulb is easy after the 1st time, I'm about to do my 4th rear bulb in just over a year, I can almost do it with my eyes shut.

Brigante7.

Id check your bulb quality if your on the 4th in a year, is that on the same bike?  Mine just went the first time at 40,000 miles, 4 years. Or you have been really unlucky.

steelhorseuk

Front bulb is easier than the rear once you have done it once. You can do it in under ten minutes. 

Rocker66
4 hours ago, neojynx said:

Good luck.

Oh for the days when the rear lens was held on by 2 long cross headed screws and the front with 3 short cross headed screws. Life was much simpler back then😀😀

• Like 2
embee
1 hour ago, neojynx said:

Id check your bulb quality if your on the 4th in a year, is that on the same bike?  Mine just went the first time at 40,000 miles, 4 years. Or you have been really unlucky.

… and check the connector for the rear light, it's at the front of the bit of trim you take off to get to the bulb/lamp. Is it the tail filament or the stop filament which keeps blowing? Does it flicker at all?

Hmm.  Might have a small problem, dropped down the flap and found the large screw, managed to start it turning but it just keeps turning and doesn't seem to be coming out or loosening anything off... :blink:

DaveM59

Sounds like the spire nut is broken and turning, you might have to grind off the screw head or if you can drill it out.

Coppaslip and a new nut and screw on reassembly to avoid this again.

I had a similar pain of a job dismantling the Integra.

Brigante7
23 hours ago, embee said:

… and check the connector for the rear light, it's at the front of the bit of trim you take off to get to the bulb/lamp. Is it the tail filament or the stop filament which keeps blowing? Does it flicker at all?

The tail light always goes first then the brake light.

I think I'll take neojynx's advice and invest in better bulbs, I usually buy them from H******s.

Brigante7.

neojynx
19 hours ago, DWS said:

Hmm.  Might have a small problem, dropped down the flap and found the large screw, managed to start it turning but it just keeps turning and doesn't seem to be coming out or loosening anything off... :blink:

There's a load of rubber in there, like a thick washer or similar, I ended up breaking it up with a screwdriver in small bits, once Id done that the nut started to turn properly.  I think it turns and the rubber is turning with it ..  Anyway never replaced it once out...

embee
17 hours ago, Brigante7 said:

The tail light always goes first then the brake light.

I think I'll take neojynx's advice and invest in better bulbs, I usually buy them from H******s.

Brigante7.

The most common reason why filament lamps fail is repeated on/off cycling, thermal fatigue in effect. If there is a poor/intermittent connection it will flicker (although maybe hardly visible). Check the cleanliness of the connectors and the lamp-holder contacts.