CKP Sensor?

Grumpy old man

Grumpy old man

Hi

w

What is a CKP sensor and what does it do? The manual tells you to disconnect the sensor before removing the right side engine case, Why?

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of renewing the Thrust bearing.

Thanks

Lloyd

CKP is Crank position sensor. CMP is Cam position sensor. No CMP or CKP signal no engine start 

Grumpy old man
7 minutes ago, tw586 said:

CKP is Crank position sensor. CMP is Cam position sensor. No CMP or CKP signal no engine start 

Thanks, So is it important that it is disconnected before removal of clutch cover and why?

Andy m

Probably as simple as the case removal is obstructed by the sensor or loom. Using a rubber mallet to free up unobserved wiring is a well established but still not recommended practice. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Grumpy old man
6 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Probably as simple as the case removal is obstructed by the sensor or loom. Using a rubber mallet to free up unobserved wiring is a well established but still not recommended practice. 

Andy

Thanks Andy but the sensor goes in through the main engine case and is connected to the main engine case there seems no mechanical reason to bother it. I  thought there might have been some fancy electrical reason and that scares me😔

Tex
22 minutes ago, Grumpy old man said:

Thanks Andy but the sensor goes in through the main engine case and is connected to the main engine case there seems no mechanical reason to bother it. I  thought there might have been some fancy electrical reason and that scares me😔

As a general rule, manuals only instruct you to disconnect stuff that needs to be disconnected  :niceone:

Probably (guesswork, this) needs disconnecting because there’s not enough length in the wiring to allow you to remove it without.

• Thanks 1
Grumpy old man
43 minutes ago, Tex said:

As a general rule, manuals only instruct you to disconnect stuff that needs to be disconnected  :niceone:

Probably (guesswork, this) needs disconnecting because there’s not enough length in the wiring to allow you to remove it without.

Looking at the manual it doesn't seem that way the wires go in through the main engine block and the sensor is behind the clutch you don't go anywhere near it just to remove the clutch cover/RH engine casing 

arengle

the sensor is mounted on the inside of the right side crankcase, you don't exactly need to remove it if you think is enough play in the wire loom to move the crankcase aside, but don't let it hung on the wire loom. removing the ckp sensor is 2 screws only, not sure why you are afraid of this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Grumpy old man
8 minutes ago, arengle said:

the sensor is mounted on the inside of the right side crankcase, you don't exactly need to remove it if you think is enough play in the wire loom to move the crankcase aside, but don't let it hung on the wire loom. removing the ckp sensor is 2 screws only, not sure why you are afraid of this.

According to the M it doesn't need removing just disconnecting from two wires under the battery so I just wanted to know why because it doesn't look like it will interfere with the removal. Just like to know if exposing the sensor does anything. I have nightmares about electrics and sensors mainly because I don't understand them:no:

Oh Thanks advice is much appreciated 

Edited by Grumpy old man
Tex
8 minutes ago, Grumpy old man said:

According to the M it doesn't need removing just disconnecting from two wires under the battery so I just wanted to know why because it doesn't look like it will interfere with the removal. Just like to know if exposing the sensor does anything. I have nightmares about electrics and sensors mainly because I don't understand them:no:

Oh Thanks advice is much appreciated 

Ah, in that case they are ‘protecting’ it from potential damage by shorting it out. But you’re not going to have the ignition turned on, eh? Best advice? Just disconnect the negative (-) lead of the battery and carry on.  :niceone:

• Thanks 1
embee

As Arengle indicated, the crank sensor is mounted to the COVER not to the crankcase, you can see the direction the bolts (14) go in this diagram. You need to disconnect the connector on wire (6) in order to be able to remove the cover from the bike. The grommet is a fit into the cut-out in the cover and will probably stay with it when you remove the cover. 

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/750-MOTO/NC/2015/NC750XAE/Engine/--PANNEAU-CARTER-MOTEUR-D-NC750X-XA-/71520/E_05/1/25739

--PANNEAU-CARTER-MOTEUR-D-NC750S-SA-Honda-MOTO-750-NC-2014-NC750SAE-E_05.jpg.caec9d7a38a152ea499707bb7d86d433.jpg

• Thanks 1
Grumpy old man
1 hour ago, embee said:

As Arengle indicated, the crank sensor is mounted to the COVER not to the crankcase, you can see the direction the bolts (14) go in this diagram. You need to disconnect the connector on wire (6) in order to be able to remove the cover from the bike. The grommet is a fit into the cut-out in the cover and will probably stay with it when you remove the cover. 

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/750-MOTO/NC/2015/NC750XAE/Engine/--PANNEAU-CARTER-MOTEUR-D-NC750X-XA-/71520/E_05/1/25739

--PANNEAU-CARTER-MOTEUR-D-NC750S-SA-Honda-MOTO-750-NC-2014-NC750SAE-E_05.jpg.caec9d7a38a152ea499707bb7d86d433.jpg

Well that makes sense but I would have sworn in the picture in the manual it was secured to the engine block.

Thanks Murray 

Grumpy old man

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the advice, having just got home and checked the manual I can't for the life of me find the picture I'd thought I'd seen, I really must have dreamt it, how sad is that. I was sure, I could see the picture in my mind of the sensor on the crank side of the casing.

Bloody stupid old man.

Big thanks Guys

Lloyd

• Thanks 1
kayz1

Grumps, no lost points as you asked before you mad a cock-up...Good man in my book.

Lyn

• Thanks 1