Rear suspension bearings

wendeg

wendeg

I will be greasing the rear suspension bearings... any particular advice from those that have already done the job? I have a centre stand fitted.

Edited by wendeg
embee

Not really. Simple enough to do.

The linkage bolts can be rather tight first time you come to undo them. Use suitable blocks to wedge the rear tyre up once the bike is on the stand, you need to support the (not inconsiderable) weight of the rear wheel and swingarm. I can't quite remember but I seem to recall one of the bolts went through in a rather inconvenient direction on mine, meaning having to remove the chainguard or something, so I simply reversed the direction of the bolt on reassembly (can't recall exactly).

Don't worry about rollers falling out of the bearings, they won't. Clean the ends of the sleeves before pushing them through the bearings. There are seals in the bearings, take care not to damage them.

The top fixing of the shock is a rubber bushing so doesn't need greasing as such. It's well hidden so doesn't suffer road crud and corrosion so yo can usually get that one out OK (nut access is through a hole in the frame on the right side), but removal and greasing of the bolt doesn't hurt, it's a special long Allen type head which is a slip fit in the frame bracket on one side, like the one used at the bottom linkage to frame mount, it's possible for them to seize in the hole if corroded.

Fully pack the roller bearings with suitable grease. The manual says moly grease but generally this is not usually recommended for rolling elements, just for sliding surfaces like the side plates and links, however in reality it probably doesn't make much difference, any grease is better than the "none" fitted at the factory. Continuously rotating bearings shouldn't be fully packed with grease (churning), but oscillating bearings are fine when filled.

• Thanks 1
trisaki

I use a shovel  under the back wheel  for leverage  to get the bolts out (lifting the wheel up and down ) , 44nm is the torque  when back together  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1