baben

2019 Triumph Street Twin

baben

Some while ago I had a spin on a Street Twin and while I thought it nice, it had too many limitations to make it a viable machine for me. However I have been following Simon's progress with his T100 and decided that I ought to try the new, uprated 2019 street Twin so I booked a test ride.....

First thought - ooh it sounds really really nice.

Second thought - very manageable, I can get my feet flat on the floor.

Third thought - incredibly light clutch - I mean incredibly light - and a beautiful short throw gearbox.

Pulled away down the road and my immediate thought was, how the hell does Simon fold himself onto one of these?  But after ten minutes it had become strangely comfortable.

The last version was nice but ran out of steam at potentially embarrassing moments - not so this little beauty - the motor pulls hard from almost tickover and I saw 90mph in 3rd gear (I think).  Extended overtakes were straightforward and safe.  Arriving at the bumpy bit of my test circuit I was again pleased. The original did not handle bumpy bends well at all but this jobby, with the Fox springs at the back was miles better - not as good as Tigger but a lot better than the original NC X. After half an hour I realised i was grinning into my helmet, then I was whooping which is a sure sign that this is an ok bike for me - maybe.

Back at the dealer I mentioned the cramped leg position and James the salesman suggested I tried the bench seat option and to my utter surprise it transformed the riding position to something approaching Tigger's. He also suggested that I might like to try the scrambler version which he personally prefers so I shall be booking a demo after I get back from the Frozen North.

Back on Tigger I noticed three things straight away - firstly he is a lot more awkward for paddling round and low speed maneuvers, secondly his weather protection is much superior - though noisier and finally he has oceans more power (derr, 126bhp in fact as against 65). However the key thing was that I never felt the Street was lacking and always had enough power for what I wanted to do. It also did everything at a much lower rev rate - I mean 30mph in 4th gear was comfy, Tigger really needs to be in 2nd! So I am now being really tempted. If I do go ahead I will spec up the bike to the nines and it will have to be a keeper so I am not rushing in. I keep telling myself the Tracer 700 would be a more practical option  but my heart is saying Triumph.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Tex

There’s all sorts of options with the riding position, Glendon. The Street Twin (ST for short) will take the T100/120 footrests (lower and slightly forward) and the T100/120 seat (higher). I haven’t had the pleasure of trying the updated 900s (I like the Scrambler, me) but an extra 10hp, four piston front calliper and better shocks pretty much covers the improvements I have made to my earlier bike. :niceone:

I raised the gearing too, but have no idea how the 2019 model is geared. Every time I think of changing mine, I picture not having it and the idea loses it’s appeal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

embee

This sounds like a foregone conclusion to me, just going through the motions now to make it look like a well considered decision rather than a whey-hey-whoop sort of decision.

Slippery slope Glendon, slippery slope.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

baben
1 hour ago, Tex said:

I raised the gearing too, but have no idea how the 2019 model is geared

I found it pretty hard to get to the rev limiter, it was pulling so well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

baben

Did you fit the official Triumph screen or something else?

• Like 1

larryblag
2 hours ago, baben said:

Some while ago I had a spin on a Street Twin and while I thought it nice, it had too many limitations to make it a viable machine for me. However I have been following Simon's progress with his T100 and decided that I ought to try the new, uprated 2019 street Twin so I booked a test ride.....

First thought - ooh it sounds really really nice.

Second thought - very manageable, I can get my feet flat on the floor.

Third thought - incredibly light clutch - I mean incredibly light - and a beautiful short throw gearbox.

Pulled away down the road and my immediate thought was, how the hell does Simon fold himself onto one of these?  But after ten minutes it had become strangely comfortable.

The last version was nice but ran out of steam at potentially embarrassing moments - not so this little beauty - the motor pulls hard from almost tickover and I saw 90mph in 3rd gear (I think).  Extended overtakes were straightforward and safe.  Arriving at the bumpy bit of my test circuit I was again pleased. The original did not handle bumpy bends well at all but this jobby, with the Fox springs at the back was miles better - not as good as Tigger but a lot better than the original NC X. After half an hour I realised i was grinning into my helmet, then I was whooping which is a sure sign that this is an ok bike for me - maybe.

Back at the dealer I mentioned the cramped leg position and James the salesman suggested I tried the bench seat option and to my utter surprise it transformed the riding position to something approaching Tigger's. He also suggested that I might like to try the scrambler version which he personally prefers so I shall be booking a demo after I get back from the Frozen North.

Back on Tigger I noticed three things straight away - firstly he is a lot more awkward for paddling round and low speed maneuvers, secondly his weather protection is much superior - though noisier and finally he has oceans more power (derr, 126bhp in fact as against 65). However the key thing was that I never felt the Street was lacking and always had enough power for what I wanted to do. It also did everything at a much lower rev rate - I mean 30mph in 4th gear was comfy, Tigger really needs to be in 2nd! So I am now being really tempted. If I do go ahead I will spec up the bike to the nines and it will have to be a keeper so I am not rushing in. I keep telling myself the Tracer 700 would be a more practical option  but my heart is saying Triumph.

I do like the look of the Street Twin. And it does seem like Triumph are listening if they've made positive changes. I would love one. The Tracer 700 is excellent if you still need a semi-tourer. It's light so is ideal with my ever decreasing core strength. 

The Tracer is a head bike though. The Triumph definitely a heart bike. 

• Thanks 1

wjvh

Street Twin wins; life is too short for a Tracer.

which one will you still be admiring in a few years time?

• Like 1

Tex
36 minutes ago, baben said:

Did you fit the official Triumph screen or something else?

I chose one made by DART. Really nicely made, although a little on the expensive side. Screens are, as always, a very personal thing but, on balance, I think it’s worthwhile.

Rocker66
6 minutes ago, Tex said:

I chose one made by DART. Really nicely made, although a little on the expensive side. Screens are, as always, a very personal thing but, on balance, I think it’s worthwhile.

I’m glad that your pleased with the quality of the Dart screen as I have been looking at one that they make for the Monkey.

• Like 1

larryblag
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, wjvh said:

Street Twin wins; life is too short for a Tracer.

which one will you still be admiring in a few years time?

As the proud owner of a 700 Tracer and still impressed with it's performance in every way. It'll be the Street Twin (and I'm being honest). 

How much chizzit? 

Edited by larryblag
  • Like 1

larryblag

I'm not looking Kelly, honest. 

Screenshot_20190507_165516_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Haha 2

Rocker66
2 minutes ago, larryblag said:

I'm not looking Kelly, honest. 

Screenshot_20190507_165516_com.android.chrome.jpg

He is Kelley he really is.😀😀

• Haha 2

larryblag

It's ok. The Tracer is £7200 new. Got our ex demo for a bargain at only £5800. Current value probably about £3200. New Street Twin is £10,500. Hahaha hahaha. Nope. Only paid that for the CB1100EX 

larryblag
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

He is Kelley he really is.😀😀

Rocker, me and you between us have kept the motorcycle industry going over the last few years with our "buy it dear, sell it cheap" ever-changing bike garages. I can't justify doing it yet again this close to my retirement plan. Hell no! :no:

Shame though, it's absolutely effin gorgeous :thumbsup:

Edited by larryblag
  • Like 2

baben

Philip, you are looking at the Speed Twin. Different animal altogether. The Street Twin starts at £8100 but I reckon it will hold its price better than the Tracer - and it has 10,000 mile service intervals.

• Sigh 1

Rocker66
2 minutes ago, larryblag said:

Rocker, me and you between us have kept the motorcycle industry going over the last few years with our "buy it dear, sell it cheap" ever-changing bike garages. I can't justify doing it yet again this close to my retirement plan. Hell no! :no:

Shame though, it's absolutely effin gorgeous :thumbsup:

But then how many “ last bikes” have many of us owned?😀😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

larryblag

Oops! 

Crawls under stone

• Haha 2

fred_jb
3 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

I seem to remember telling Anne that my previous GS would be my forever bike. Won't make that mistake again!

• Haha 2

fred_jb
9 minutes ago, baben said:

Philip, you are looking at the Speed Twin. Different animal altogether. The Street Twin starts at £8100 but I reckon it will hold its price better than the Tracer - and it has 10,000 mile service intervals.

Is this the one?  I could fancy one of those for solo riding - though would have to put some sort of screen on it.

image%208%20770x770.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

baben
51 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

Is this the one?  I could fancy one of those for solo riding - though would have to put some sort of screen on it.

image%208%20770x770.jpg

That's the boyo.

• Like 2

baben
Posted (edited)

Oh! The angst! Went into Value Bikes this morning to see if they might buy Tigger (releasing cash for Street Twin haggling). They would only take a part ex on him. And they have TWO Tracer 700s. One has 440 miles on the clock, full luggage, heated grips and rather nice aftermarket levers - just over £6000.   I said if it is still there when I get back from The Frozen North I will call in. As my wife said - if it is still there then you will know it is meant for you.  They think 18000 miles on Tigger is high miles by the way. WTF?:console:

Edited by baben
  • Like 2

Mr Toad
On 5/7/2019 at 17:11, Rocker66 said:

They're all last bikes Rocker, until we get the next one. :) 

• Thanks 1

neojynx
Posted (edited)

Destination Triumph (Solent) is just down the road from me, in fact I have had 2 bikes from them.  Triumph Sprint & Triumph Trophy.

I went in there a couple of weeks back, for a quick look, and realised that all the bikes I liked seem to have disappeared.  Either all their bikes look like  Bonneville or variation thereof, or look like the Tiger.  The Street twin looks like a Bonneville, the 'scrambler' looks like a Bonneville with a silly exhaust.  Any everything else a Tiger.

I turned around and went home very disappointed.  I can understand the logic, and it seems to be working from a sales perspective, but I also find the showroom quite boring now.

Edited by neojynx
  • Sad 2

Tex

30 minutes ago, neojynx said:

I went in there a couple of weeks back, for a quick look, and realised that all the bikes I liked seem to have disappeared.  Either all their bikes look like  Bonneville or variation thereof, or look like the Tiger.  The Street twin looks like a Bonneville, the 'scrambler' looks like a Bonneville with a silly exhaust.  Any everything else a Tiger.

You’re right. Essentially there are three groups in the Triumph range. The ‘modern classics’ are, as you say, Bonneville based, the Tiger Adventure bikes and the 3 cylinder ‘sports roadsters’ in 765 and 1050 sizes. Each group has a bewildering number of variants of the basic theme, but, yes, three basic bikes. Some of the bikes I liked just never sold in sufficient quantities to justify the expense of getting them through Euro 4 :( 

The Daytona, Sprint and Trophy all fell foul of poor sales and ever tightening emissions laws. A shame. I shall keep my fingers crossed for a bit of genuine innovation. :niceone:

• Like 2

suffolk58

I was about to correct you Simon, by reminding you there is also the big twin custom Thunderbird.....except there isn't!

It's gone from the range. When did that happen?

I did try one once and wasn't too keen. I guess a lot of other potential customers though so as well.

And no Japanese big cruisers any more. I can't keep up. :blink:

• Like 2