Tyre pressures

Chriswright03

Chriswright03
4 hours ago, Tex said:

Chris, ah, the old ‘harsh suspension’ complaint! Yes, sadly, I think most people find that. Some have gone so far as to make radical changes (and spent big money!) but most just learn to live with it. ;) 

Tex I do just live with it but when Jane say ow or worse when we go over some of the many sleeping policeman here I just pretend I haven't heard her.  We don't have as many pot holes as in the UK but what we do have all over is spills of concrete from the numerous cement lorries travelling all over the place.  Very often they spill out a gob of cement which stays on the road and then sets like...................well cement really.  Insecure load?  Nah don't even think about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
shiggsy
3 hours ago, Tex said:

Kawasaki will recommend the same 36/42 as everyone recommends for everything! ;) 

Kawasaki list standard tyre pressures for the ZX12 as 42 / 42  ;)

Edited by shiggsy
  • Like 1
trisaki
1 hour ago, Chriswright03 said:

Tex I do just live with it but when Jane say ow or worse when we go over some of the many sleeping policeman here I just pretend I haven't heard her.  We don't have as many pot holes as in the UK but what we do have all over is spills of concrete from the numerous cement lorries travelling all over the place.  Very often they spill out a gob of cement which stays on the road and then sets like...................well cement really.  Insecure load?  Nah don't even think about it.

A yss rear shock  approximately  £290 will sort the harshness completely  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Tex
24 minutes ago, shiggsy said:

Kawasaki list standard tyre pressures for the ZX12 as 42 / 42  ;)

Yes, same for the ST1300. Bit they’re ‘exceptions that prove the rule’. You can find odd variations, but 36/42 is ‘normal’ on bikes equipped to carry passengers that are fitted with radial tyres. 

Hickky

I have just viewed a u tube video by Bennetts that discusses this with the european brand head honcho from Bridgestone. He was so non committal regarding pressures but kept stating it was a standard that tyre manufacturers had to adhere to, but were laid down for tubed tyres with a pillion. They are obviously unable, because of regulations (certainly not just UK, probably a wider regulation maker, but I know not who) to say or publish anything different. However he also said that for spirited riding, trackdays etc. the front tyre should be higher than the back, as the rear tyre will heat up more.

So it appears that the rules we have to abide by on tyre pressures being within 10% of the manufacturers specifications are probably all wrong, were probably fit for 1970s bikes but not nowadays.

This video shows all the compounds that one company makes just for sportsbikes. Another load for touring and adventure bikes, the range is staggering! When you think that I just ask for reasonable budget tyres for the car, they are £120 cheaper and last 6 times longer but have a contact patch 20x greater than a bike tyre. Mind you, we are buying a tyre that nowadays has two or three different blends of rubber on the same tyre, how advanced is that? 

And to think the F1 boys complain about lack of grip............

• Like 1
alhendo1
10 hours ago, Hickky said:

we are buying a tyre that nowadays has two or three different blends of rubber on the same tyre, how advanced is that?

I see this on my Road5s....middle compound is the hardest, next segment is softer and stickier....I've never explored right to the edge😅..after a few rides recently, none of which were in scorching weather I've started checking them....the part of the tyre where you're leaned over on is incredibly sticky, I've been picking some wee stones out of it recently and it's warm to touch so I'm confident it'll do the job when it's wet....my only concern is the longevity....softer and stickier usually means they wear out quicker...I've now done about 3100 miles and you can see the central part starting to show signs of beginning to square a bit.....we shall see...

Back to the thread....Honda seem to quote generic 36/42 for CB500/NC750 range which are all different weights...Michelin stated run whatever your manufacturer recommends (shortest e mail reply I've ever had😅)....I'm running my 500x at 34/40 and I could find no difference in handling or wear. 

Tex
2 hours ago, alhendo1 said:

I see this on my Road5s....middle compound is the hardest, next segment is softer and stickier....I've never explored right to the edge😅..after a few rides recently, none of which were in scorching weather I've started checking them....the part of the tyre where you're leaned over on is incredibly sticky, I've been picking some wee stones out of it recently and it's warm to touch so I'm confident it'll do the job when it's wet....my only concern is the longevity....softer and stickier usually means they wear out quicker...I've now done about 3100 miles and you can see the central part starting to show signs of beginning to square a bit.....we shall see...

It’s all dependent on whether Michelin got their sums right! The hardness of the centre section vs the stickier sides... :) 

You can clearly see the two different compounds on the Avon Spirit ST on my Bonnie.

DEE2-AE77-D3-D4-4178-B064-C94-F10-AB32-Bnearest key bank locations

Back to the thread....Honda seem to quote generic 36/42 for CB500/NC750 range which are all different weights...Michelin stated run whatever your manufacturer recommends (shortest e mail reply I've ever had😅)....I'm running my 500x at 34/40 and I could find no difference in handling or wear. 

Honda quote 36/42 for the both CB500X and the VFR1200 Cross Tourer. The latter has double the power and (feels like!) double the weight. Hmmm, I get a whiff of rodent.. :D 

Edited by Tex
  • Like 1
Chriswright03

I smell the same rodent Tex.  How can both those bikes be the same?  It sort of makes you question the whole manufacturers recommendations and makes a mockery of the 10% law.

trisaki

I have been running  my nc now for a few years now on 36 f, 38r , with no problems  at all apart from a smoother  comfortable ride 

• Like 1
Chriswright03

Just checked mine and they were 34f and 40r so have put them up to 36 and 42 and will see if there is any noticeable difference.  Ride was on the harsh side as they were so be interesting to see if either of us notice a difference.  No please don't mention the suspension.:lol:

trisaki
7 hours ago, Chriswright03 said:

Just checked mine and they were 34f and 40r so have put them up to 36 and 42 and will see if there is any noticeable difference.  Ride was on the harsh side as they were so be interesting to see if either of us notice a difference.  No please don't mention the suspension.:lol:

When a passenger  is on board  run it at std Honda  pressures  , solo alter the rear down to 38 

embee

Tyre pressure gauges can be a long way out. I have a selection of them, and they vary by around 3psi at the normal range. I have one decent PCL one which came with a certificate (so must be right, yes????) and I checked it against a known calibrated gauge at a place I worked at, and it is pretty much spot on for practical purposes.

Just be aware when you are working with plus or minus a couple of psi that the gauge might be out by that much.