Changing chain, should I change sprocket?

nikita

Hi everyone!

Could anyone suggest if it is worth changing sprocket(s), as I'm planning to  change the chain. Bike did about 12000km and the last few months I'm adjusting it 5th time already. It has streched unevenly - i can feel this when turning the wheel while on central stand. Both sprockets visually look ok, i guess... cannot attach the pic

Many thanks!

trisaki

Change the sprockets  , will last longer , use best chain you can afford  

• Like 1
trisaki

Make sure you  get 17t front and 39t rear sprockets  , differ from  the manual  version  , d,i,d 520 , cant remember  , is it vx2 ? , 

• Like 1
Andywills77
7 hours ago, nikita said:

Also, just checked on that auction site - do you know if there is any difference between newer and older models? My bike is newer model NC750 2016 DCT with LEDs fitted. Would this suit:

https://www.that auction site.ie/itm/Honda-NC750-X-DCT-DID-Gold-X-Ring-Chain-JT-Sprockets-Kit-Set-2014-to-2017/143043295264?hash=item214e0b7820:g:AZ4AAOSwPAxZ~I3o

Thanks!

Doubt there will be any difference. Pretty sure (from memory) it tells you in the manual.

I got mine from same seller on fleabay. It came with the vx3 chain (although states vx2)

What is the diff between the vx2 and vx3?

Andywills77

Supposed to be stronger and have a longer life

Edited by Andywills77
10 hours ago, trisaki said:

Make sure you  get 17t front and 39t rear sprockets  , differ from  the manual  version  , d,i,d 520 , cant remember  , is it vx2 ? , 

You're gent!

thanks!

embee

The gold is purely cosmetic (bling), the grade/version is the significant thing. I have a VX2 which is a significantly nicer chain than the OE spec item (both DID). I haven't seen the VX3, when I looked last the grades went from a VX2 then a ZVM.

Absolutely definitely renew the gearbox sprocket. The rear wheel sprocket gets much less wear and often will be fine for a couple of chains but if in doubt then renew. Written wisdom will always say change as a set, but reality and theory aren't necessarily always in perfect agreement. I didn't change the rear on mine as it looked barely marked, but your mileage may vary.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Andywills77

I did a price comparison. For the difference in price of with and without sprockets, chain and sprockets is the way to go (regardless of should you, shouldn't you)

Don't make the mistake I did and make sure the press is on right otherwise the rivet pushes out the back

This is a good video if not done before

https://youtu.be/6Yj4sKsguvU

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...