Sign in to follow this  
alhendo1

Triumph Tiger 800 XRT test ride

alhendo1

I had a test ride of the 800 Tiger today....I was thinking way into the future of changing the CB500x for something a bit bigger so thought I'd give this a go.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T6QD1DJQNovoWPCyIy8ejrK6e486Y-gA/view?usp=drivesdk

Here's my thoughts in no particular order...

From driving away I found it an absolute doddle to ride even at slow speed...beatifully balanced with a lovely gearshift. I thought it would be a bit of a lump to manouvre but not so...easy peasy. The screen is adjustable to about 5 positions on the move...alas....in any of them it caused worse buffeting than on the CB...very dissapointing as by the looks alone I thought this would solve my screen problems...a personal thing I know ....I must have an odd torso/head to overall height combo😅...

Seat was very comfortable and I felt I sat on it square as opposed to canted forward as per the CB...was only on it for about 50 minutes but no issues.

I tried the bike on a mixture of country/town/motorway and found it handled beautifully. ...suspension seemed to be of top quality and even over rougher surfaces behaved well.

Sitting at 70mph or just above was super smooth and the cruise control was brilliant....tft screen worked well even in the bright sunlight. 

The engine.....I've never ridden a triple before....what an absolute peach...this bike just pulls in any gear you want....loads more power than I'd ever use....loved it.

Now to the downside which in addition to the screen would probably prevent me from parting with the cash....I found the vibes through the grips too much...the right one in particular....by the time I went to put fuel in it my right hand was quite numb....again...a personal issue perhaps or maybe just that bike but I couldn't live with it. I mentioned it to the salesman and he said he had never had anyone reporting it.

Service intervals are 6k on the 800 which I thought would be longer as well.

All in all a brilliant bike (with a few flaws...possibly personal)which  would be well worth giving it a go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tex

Thanks. :niceone: The salesman might never have had heard of vibration through the bars, but I certainly have. And on this very forum! I find it a bit perplexing because the T8 I had (11 plate ‘road’ model) was as smooth as glass. But they have had to tweak the motor to get it through, increasingly tougher, emissions standards..

It’s a bike I (sometimes) regret selling. A set of PR3 tyres transformed it (from the crappy Pirelli ones they fitted back then) to a beautifully neutral steering bike that went like stink and returned 60 something to the gallon. The screen (not adjustable, back then) was poor, but that’s the worst complaint I had.

Would I buy another? I do think about it (but I think about buying lots of things! ;) ) but it’s a bit salty at £12.3 K for the posh one.. really interested to hear your comments though, thanks. 

• Like 1

alhendo1
23 minutes ago, Tex said:

The salesman might never have had heard of vibration through the bars, but I certainly have. And on this very forum!

I am righteous 😅. .I came away thinking it must just be me....thanks Tex......but oh that engine.....did I say how good that engine was.....

• Haha 1

neojynx

I live only a couple of miles from Destination Triumph Solent in Wickham.  My wife wont let me go anymore as she doesnt trust me.   Quite rightly tbh.  Last time I went there for coffee (my excuse anyway) I found the prices were higher than I was expecting, I do have Scottish ancestry so may be the reason.

On my way out of Londinium one day last week, I found myself next to a Tiger 800 rider.  I was very impressed with the looks of the bike, and in the brief encounter I had with my red light stop line rival, sorry motorcycling compatriot, he told me that he had traded in his Explorer 1200 for the 800 and it was a big smile from him on that trade.

Nice bike, would I have one.  Dunno.  I was sucked into the Triumph service vacuum a few years back and it wasnt the best experience so my wallet keeps informing me.  But, it is a very nice bike..  INDEED..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Chriswright03

Having had the Tiger Explorer certainly had we bought another bike in the UK the 800 Tiger was top of my list alongside the Tiger Sport.  I loved the Explorer but like many have said it is just too much of a lump when moving it about without an engine.

• Thanks 2

larryblag

The 800 XRX we tried had the same issue with vibes. Rider's right footpeg, pillion left. Bars too. Shame and it was bad enough to cause quite severe numbness. Also the vibes really came on (opposite of a sweet spot) at dead on 70mph where the motor was actually revving quite high in top (surprised me). Lovely bike in blue with all the extras and seat height manageable having the smaller (road) wheels on it. One previous owner and only 5k miles. One wonders if throttle body balancing was needed or if the previous owner had got rid because of this?  Mind you it had also nearly eaten it's chain guard (very well known issue).

Edited by larryblag

alhendo1
10 minutes ago, larryblag said:

Also the vibes really came on (opposite of a sweet spot) at dead on 70mph where the motor was actually revving quite high in top (surprised me).

Agree...I found them worst around 60 to 70 mph....a shame as it would definitely be a non starter for me because of this.

• Thanks 1

Tex

Interestingly, this chap really rates his..