Service requirements

Andywills77

Andywills77

Coming upto a year since I brought the bike (64 plate)

Due to horrible work commitments and the adventures of chain replacement, I've managed a staggering 1k.

What should I expect as a service?

Have one place quoting £160 (oil, filter, etc) and another wanting to discuss at MOT as it's not done much in a year and wants to look at the bike to assess

Edited by Andywills77
alhendo1

It all depends on what service it is, what they are doing and whereabouts in the uk you are....labour costs vary depending on area/main dealer/independent. 

stephenmcg

Andy

if it was me, I would change oil but if filter new last service, I would leave it till next time.

check tyre pressures, chain tension.

visual inspect tyres, brake pads.

grease side stand and main stand if it has one.

check lights, indicators give bike a clean and mark up book saying you did not change filter.

cost about £40 for oil, big bottle with some to spare for next year.

stephen in glasgow

Grumpy old man
6 hours ago, stephenmcg said:

cost about £40 for oil, big bottle with some to spare for next year.

£31 for Castrol at Halfords at the moment. 

• Like 1

Did you get the 600 mile first service done (probably not much more than an oil change), or will this be the bike’s very first service? If you got it done as recommended under the warranty then the next service is only due at 8,000 miles (12,000 km). 

Andywills77

It was done every year by previous owner with stamps in the book (warranty long gone)

Edited by Andywills77
8 minutes ago, Andywills77 said:

It was done every year by previous owner with stamps in the book (warranty long gone)

Aha. I hadn’t realised you hadn’t bought new (64 plate is Greek to me). So what you’re saying is “2 Careful owners, still running in”. 😂

trisaki
2 hours ago, Woody 99 said:

Did you get the 600 mile first service done (probably not much more than an oil change), or will this be the bike’s very first service? If you got it done as recommended under the warranty then the next service is only due at 8,000 miles (12,000 km). 

Its 8000 miles or yearly , 

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, trisaki said:

Its 8000 miles or yearly , 

Aha! Good to know. Thanks.