Advice on service parts, please

Rofbox

Rofbox

As my beloved five year old NC750x will be worth next to nothing when I reluctantly have to part with it, hopefully not for a few years yet, I have decide not to worry about any more dealer stamps in the service book and do my own servicing.  My question is, where is the best place to buy the parts, in particular oil filters, drain plug washer etc? Also, should I stick with OEM parts or use pattern?  If pattern are there any makes that should be avoided, or indeed, purchased?  All advice gratefully received.

• Like 1
Dunnster

I use OEM from Fowlers or pick up the parts from my local Honda dealer. Happy spannering :thumbsup:

• Like 2
trisaki

Hiflow filters (pattern item )  are tuv tested , and are used as a genuine  part ,  I am led to believe by ktm and triumph  ,  I use the slightly  dearer racing version  in my wshop  , rock oil and liqui moly , semi synthetic  oil 10w40 , or 10w30 in dct , 

• Like 1
motorbykcourier

As some of you may know,  we're running a couple of NC's - one a couple of years old with 120K miles and another just over 4 years old and over 200K miles

Our main sources are Wemoto - who are excellent with their deliveries and Fowlers, again really quick with delivery.

With Wemoto  it tends to be normal service items (HiFlow), chains, plugs etc and Fowlers some of the more specific parts cables, suspension bushes etc

Oil - we use 10W40 Castrol racing fully synthetic

That's it....

Oh, by the way have been a BIG fan of Pirelli Scorpion II, but recently changed to Michelin Road 5 and getting ~20K for rear tyre !!

That's my 10p..... take it as you will 

:-)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
rjp996

I use wemoto to for parts, esp pads. 

For oil filter - engine and DCT I go OEM, not expensive and asking for a discount normally gets 10%

i would recommend buying the oil filter and removal tool combo item from Honda as its good value, easy to use to get filter off and allows me to torque the filter on to spec. 

Its all easy stuff on the NC, I have a spare DCT oil filter o ring but oftern re use the old once more if condition is good. Uk is not very dusty were I live.... and air filter I recon could go and extra 8k service from ones ive  replaced. 

Chain I shop around but go for did vx. Sprockets I've used Honda and JT and whilst I think the Honda were good, since I am normally changing with the chain, I think the wear on the JT has been only slightly more, I therefore get the JT as they more than outlast my chains

Edited by rjp996
  • Like 1
Andy m

Fowlers and Wemoto for me. Also a couple of a Honda dealers who sell online via the auction site. 

The main thing for me is a supplier whose stock is moving and has a reputation to maintain . Wemoto aren't going to buy knock-offs and keep them in badly thought out storage for years. O-rings stay supple, gaskets are flat etc. Some bloke on the auction site who has a mate who goes to China twice a year and keeps the bits in his conservatory along with smuggled fags and the detergent for his window cleaning business is not worth the quid less. 

Andy

• Like 2
Tex

1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Some bloke on the auction site who has a mate who goes to China twice a year and keeps the bits in his conservatory along with smuggled fags and the detergent for his window cleaning business is not worth the quid less. 

Andy

There are very few folks who can sum up a situation the way you do, chum. My life’s richer for knowing you.  :niceone:

• Like 2
Mark8arker

I use Fowlers and my local bike shop. Used Wemoto for first time couple weeks ago. 

Rofbox

Many thanks for all the advice and a special nod to Steve, Aka  Motorbykcourier, for his 10p worth regarding tyres. Done 12k on my PR4's and they are soon due for renewal.  Couldn't decide whether to pay a bit extra and go for the PR5's or not; problem now solved.

embee

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_group/_/(41;product_rating;DESC;0-0;all) do original manufacturers oil filters if you prefer to go that route. I also get Fuchs/Silkolene RSF fork oil from them. They will do price matching, I've had a couple of matches in the past, worth searching.

I use Castrol Power1 semi synthetic oils in all my bikes (the regular Power1 rather than the racing fully synth version, but it's up to you, either does the job). I often get it from https://www.opieoils.co.uk/ or their auction site shop, depending on what offers are going and p&p at the time (just put Castrol Power1 in the auction site search box and they will come up).

• Like 1