DIY tyre valve replacement-Is it possible?

djsb

The tyre valves on my bike have rotted, so they need replacing. Will probably get new tyres (still good tread on tyres but probably degraded and unsafe) and valves fitted anyway (provided engine still runs). Just curious if it's possible to break the bead with any simple tools and what type and size of tyre valves are used on the bike (might buy some in to help the mobile mechanic). Where would I buy these valves.Thanks.

PS I wonder if this would work?

Edited by djsb

This video makes it look easier

Andy m

The valves are easy. Nearly always 11.3 mm and a simple enough spanner job. The auction site and usual parts sites sell them. 

The bead is nothing like the video in my experience. The demo tyre he's using has been on and off a hundred times to be that soft. The second set of tyres are the worst as Honda don't lube anything. With a screw type bead breaker, a cargo strap to hold one side in the well and a workshop compressor to seat the new tyre it can be done, but my local place charges £15 a go so I can rarely be bothered. 

With tubed abominations it's worth going DIY for the practice and to get the maximum lube into a really spotless rim so that when you have a puncture it's as easy as possible. For tubeless you pretty much always have the choice. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1

I wonder why there are 2 different part numbers for the tyre valves?

42753-ML7-004 (Dunlop)

42753-MCF-008 (Pirelli)

Is this something to do with the tyre profiles? If so, how do I determine which tyre valve to use? I'm using Pilot Road tyres at the moment.I want to learn how to do this myself instead of have someone else do the work. Thanks.

Andy m

Just who supplied it IMHO. The hole in the rim is going to be the same size and normally you leave the valve when you change the tyre, so they'll work with each other. 

Andy

• Like 1

In my case I need to change the valve because it has split and the tyre is in reasonable condition and in any case probably best to fit a new one anyway. One of the valves is around £8 and the other one around £14. Not sure why they are priced that differently. Is there anywhere I can get these for a more reasonable price?

Tex

Right, the first thing you need to do is establish the size of the valve you need. Tubeless valves come in a range of sizes, motorcycles commonly use 8.3mm, cars 10.3 and trucks 11.3. Until you know what size you’re looking for you’re just wasting your time.

Triumph fit 90 deg valve stems to their bikes (makes checking tyre pressures easier) and I would recommend using them as a worthwhile modification. The auction site has various sellers offering 90 deg valves in both pull through and bolt on types.

I would cut the old valve out with a Stanley knife, measure the hole in the rim and order something suitable.

Good luck. 

• Thanks 1