Seized drop links

Paultech87uk

wingrider.steve
1 hour ago, Grumpy old man said:

So why have Honda not put it on the service schedule? 

It still surprises me the things that are not but should be on the service schedule.

For instance there is nothing in the schedule for my 1800 Wing (and never has been for any Goldwing) relating to changing the fork oil and I know from experience that it is horrible, like p*ss by about 20000 miles so I always change it every 12000 miles.

Likewise with the head bearings, final drive splines and suspension linkages.

trisaki
1 hour ago, Grumpy old man said:

So why have Honda not put it on the service schedule? 

None of the manufacturers do as far as I can tell , they have known about it since Kawasaki gpz550 days 

embee

I think they treat such items as consumables, wait until they are shot then renew.

Well greased they are fine for a couple of years or 20k mls or so, then re-grease.

I think the workshop's advice for lube every 1000mls probably applies well to the rubbing areas between links and bosses on the outside.

• Like 1

The early Hinckley three and four cylinder bikes had grease nipples on the bearings of the drop links. Last a hundred years they would..

As their confidence as a manufacturer grew they began taking the same (profits driven) short cuts that everyone else does. I think the nipples disappeared when the first fuel injection models arrived. 

You give with one hand and take away with the other.. 

outrunner

I am sure you are correct Tex, my Trident and Sprint Executive had grease nipples, the Tiger 955i did not have any.

Andy.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, outrunner said:

I am sure you are correct Tex, my Trident and Sprint Executive had grease nipples, the Tiger 955i did not have any.

Andy.

I had a Sprint Executive too :niceone: bloody thing would barrel along all day at 90 and then leap forward at a touch of throttle. I don’t miss the size and weight but I miss the feeling of ‘highway omnipotence’. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
fred_jb
51 minutes ago, Tex said:

I had a Sprint Executive too :niceone: bloody thing would barrel along all day at 90 and then leap forward at a touch of throttle. I don’t miss the size and weight but I miss the feeling of ‘highway omnipotence’. ;) 

Yes - there is something to be said for bikes that give you that "king of the road" feeling.  You may never need all the power but it's nice to know it's there.

• Thanks 1
Grumpy old man
4 hours ago, fred_jb said:

Yes - there is something to be said for bikes that give you that "king of the road" feeling.  You may never need all the power but it's nice to know it's there.

Never experienced it and sadly not likely to. 

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

Never experienced it and sadly not likely to. 

Yes, that is rather sad. There’s nothing quite like a properly powerful bike! I know that you can’t use all the performance (safely) on the public roads and I know (and agree with) all the arguments against them.. BUT the fact remains, a bike where you twist the throttle and the rest of the world goes into reverse.. well, I miss it (sometimes). 

alhendo1
9 minutes ago, Tex said:

the fact remains, a bike where you twist the throttle and the rest of the world goes into reverse.. well, I miss it (sometimes). 

That was me when I passed my Direct Access on a Suzuki GS500 and then bought my 600 Divvy....first bike and all that😅

• Haha 2
skorpion

Just pulled off my rear shock 2017 750X and found no grease in the shock linkage bearings, NOT Impressed.

I used to own a late model ZZR600e6f that had no grease nipples on the shock linkage, so replaced with an earlier model's that did, makes servicing far simpler.

Edited by skorpion
  • Like 1