How much????!!!!!

gobetween55

gobetween55

Last year I had a slight mis-hap on a ride out. Bike went down onto right side, R&G Crash Protector did its job but I got a couple of deep scratches on the right hand cowl.

Decided today it was time to get it sorted. Now, bearing in mind the cost of the bike new and how much value for money it is plus the amount of mileage you get to a tank its marketed as a cheap(ish) bike to run I think. Was shocked to find to replace this side cowl costs £340! Blimey!

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/assignment_spare_parts/64271MKAD80

Keeping my eye out on that auction site. Unluckily for me the marks go across the bevel in the plastic so really hard to cover up with carbon fibre tape and match the other side so its either a replacement or a respray. Respray around £180 - £200 but nobody will touch it without the cowl being removed and that looks a real pain. The cowl is actually built into the fairing so thats all got to come off.

Anyway, perhaps I'm just having a moan but I guess my point would be firstly dont drop your bike(!) and I am just shocked at the cost of what seems like a small part in the grand scheme of things. It is what it is and all that jazz....

• Sad 2
kayz1

Put a rough location in your profile please Paul, you never know you may live next door to my lad who just happens to paint....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
gobetween55

Ok done that Lyn. If he knows how to take the blimmin cowl off as well....:blink:

Mark8arker

Hi try this company on that auction site   (  motorspares2015  )  Bought couple parts of them!

• Like 1
gobetween55
2 hours ago, Mark8arker said:

Hi try this company on that auction site   (  motorspares2015  )  Bought couple parts of them!

Good website that. Not what I need but a few bits of NC750x stuff, especially the blue one. Will keep an eye out in future. Cheers for that Mark.

• 2 months later...

It's an adventure bike but what they didn't tell me is that as soon as I have an adventure (off tarmac) the bike comes into contact with sticky-out bits and bobs :hmm:.

Anyway, I had a couple of scratches on the left cowl and like you I left it months before bothering to think about a fix. Youtube video showed how to remove the cowl. It wasn't hard (dark grey top panel is one screw, then the cowl is about seven pop studs/screws, last pull apart the indicator connection).

I had filler, rubbing compound, wet & dry sandpaper. The hardest thing was working out the paint code. I bought a 400ml spray can of NHA30M (digital silver metallic) for £9.99 off that auction site.

Result - not mint but you have to look close, so that was a tenner well spent. Especially as I'm likely to need it again in the next few years!

Oh, and I have a 1mm bit of decal missing. When I next come across a pot of black I'll dab some on.

• Thanks 1

Left cowl removal begins @ 1:48

• Thanks 2