First 600 miles service costs!

Guest chickenflaps

Guest chickenflaps

I was stunned at a bill for £205 today for the first 600 mile service. It was explained as 2.5 hours labour to check and adjust the tappets (even then the labour charge of £56 per hour was capped at £118 for this job), plus £42 for four litres of oil, and £9.50 for the oil filter. By the time VAT was added (another £34), the bill was £205.

I love the bike, and the fuel consumption (average of 79mpg over the first 600 miles), but today's experience at the main dealer has left me feeling a distinct lack of the "feel good factor" I'd had so far...

Have I been totally stuffed here or has anyone else had a similar sized bill?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• tc3

• wozza

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well got the first service done today at 720 miles and as they promised it was exactly 100 quid which inclded lots of coffee and a few choc bars so i can live with that but not sure my diabetics can

Some .  of the stories on here convince me that it is a good idea  to find a decent dealer and stick with them. You may not get such a big discount but what price excellent after sales service. Also t

Why did they check the tappets?

It's not on the service schedule until 8,000 miles or 12 months.

Rocker66

Yes I'm sorry to say that you have been stuffed. My dealer only charged me for the oil & filter but no labour. Was this the same dealer that you bought the bike from?

I was stunned at a bill for £205 today for the first 600 mile service. It was explained as 2.5 hours labour to check and adjust the tappets (even then the labour charge of £56 per hour was capped at £118 for this job), plus £42 for four litres of oil, and £9.50 for the oil filter. By the time VAT was added (another £34), the bill was £205.

I love the bike, and the fuel consumption (average of 79mpg over the first 600 miles), but today's experience at the main dealer has left me feeling a distinct lack of the "feel good factor" I'd had so far...

Blimey mate Letchworth are having a laugh! I think I will have to take mine elsewhere. Just what are they playing at i don't know!

Guest chickenflaps

Why did they check the tappets?

It's not on the service schedule until 8,000 miles or 12 months.

Thanks, I'll raise this with them and report back...

Guest chickenflaps

Yes I'm sorry to say that you have been stuffed. My dealer only charged me for the oil & filter but no labour. Was this the same dealer that you bought the bike from?

Yes, the same dealer as supplied the bike..

Guest chickenflaps

Blimey mate Letchworth are having a laugh! I think I will have to take mine elsewhere. Just what are they playing at i don't know!

Well, where ever you go to, get a quote first!

Well, where ever you go to, get a quote first!

Yeah good idea! Going to try 1st line motorcycles as have bought from them in the past.

Rocker66

Yes, the same dealer as supplied the bike..

In that case you know where not to take your custom in future

I was quoted £268 by the same dealer network in Dunstable so on Monday I'm riding up to Crewe, to the supplying dealer for them to do it for free.

Then continuing onto North Wales and then the Peak District for a couple of days riding with a couple of mates.

So the Dunstable dealer won't be doing my 8000 mile service either I guess.

Mike5100

my supplying dealer wants £50 labour plus materials - they say it comes out between £80 and £100. I'm not going to complain too much as they gave me a brilliant deal on the bike.

Mike

Guest Lockon2

Hi

That seems way over the top and tappers are not on the check list for the 600 mile service, I had a quote of £99 for this service from the sales man when I bought the bike and will be booking it in the next few days. I will be checking the price first.

Maybe we should be putting up a list of dealers and what prices are being charged.

Will come back on this one if they try to change the price quoted, salesmen can get carried away when tring to get a sale.

1st Line motorcycles want 105 quid for the first service. I will ask Letchworth for a quote minus doing the tappets and report back.

Guest scrumpymike

My first service at supplying dealer Doble was £116 - no complaint there as they did me an outstanding deal on my PX. As already reported, tappets not scheduled until 8k mls. Your guys are extracting the urine mate and, if I were Honda and found out, I would give them a roasting for applying charges that are in total opposition to the bike's low cost of ownership promise. Just for the info of others, Bridge in Exeter were trying to play the same game with me but I took the precaution of getting service quotes before deciding where to buy the bike. I made my feelings known to Bridge in no uncertain terms and suggest you do the same to your dealer and to Honda UK. This is a straightforward case of a rogue dealer undermining Honda's marketing of this excellent bike.

Guest chickenflaps

thanks to all for your replies. I sent an email to the dealer last night and got a reply at 7.30pm from his Blackberry. The reply was that they're looking into it as the tappets were, they agreed, not part of the first service. There was also mention of a confusion between the NC700 and NT700, so if, as I hope, they refund this unnecessary part of the first service, then the bill should come down from £205 by £142 to a far more reasonable £63 which is just some pricy oil and a £10 filter. I will let you know the outcome. Cheers to all.

thanks to all for your replies. I sent an email to the dealer last night and got a reply at 7.30pm from his Blackberry. The reply was that they're looking into it as the tappets were, they agreed, not part of the first service. There was also mention of a confusion between the NC700 and NT700, so if, as I hope, they refund this unnecessary part of the first service, then the bill should come down from £205 by £142 to a far more reasonable £63 which is just some pricy oil and a £10 filter. I will let you know the outcome. Cheers to all.

Neil you did well to question them and i was going to give them some grief tomorrow when i go sign paperwork. I expect it will be around the 100 mark. What about others who are not members of web forums and have no idea they got charged too much. Must be quite a few as they have sold loads of these bikes.

Edited by tc3

I've been quoted £100 for my first service.

Guest chickenflaps

Neil you did well to question them and i was going to give them some grief tomorrow when i go sign paperwork. I expect it will be around the 100 mark. What about others who are not members of web forums and have no idea they got charged too much. Must be quite a few as they have sold loads of these bikes.

I'd ask them specifically what the price will be and what it will cover. Looking at my invoice, without the tappets I've mentioned, you should be looking at oil filter £9.58, oil, £41.96, drain washer, 45p plus whatever they say for labour plus 20% VAT. If you get them on the hook before hand, you should have no problems. In my haze of annoyance yesterday, I completely forgot to ask them where my centre stand is, and equally, they failed to mention it (we'd agreed it would be a FOC item in the purchase price).

cheers, Neil

Guest Bob bike

I was annoyed at £69. As every Honda I've ever bought has been free 1st service. But when salesman pointed out I'd got a cracking discount when I had purchased my 700x I bit my tongue and paid. But £205!! My wife's Audi 4x4 1st service didn't cost that!!! Good luck mate. Think it's time to move dealers.

Rocker66

Sounds like more dealer BS as my previous bike was a NT700 and I only paid parts on the 1st service. Also I'm sure tappets are not done on the 1st service on that bike. Maybe I just have a really good dealer

Sounds like more dealer BS as my previous bike was a NT700 and I only paid parts on the 1st service. Also I'm sure tappets are not done on the 1st service on that bike. Maybe I just have a really good dealer

Rocker did you not say once your dealer is a good friend of yours who you have been going to for a good while? Maybe I got that wrong but if it is the case must well be why you get such good deals on service etc?

Rocker66

Rocker did you not say once your dealer is a good friend of yours who you have been going to for a good while? Maybe I got that wrong but if it is the case must well be why you get such good deals on service etc?

I did but that wouldn't explain why others get the same. Some guys come all the way from the I.O.W to Kent to deal with him so they must be getting good deals & service

I did but that wouldn't explain why others get the same. Some guys come all the way from the I.O.W to Kent to deal with him so they must be getting good deals & service

Ah right so he is just one of those dealers that actually wants peoples business ... rare these days once they have sold you the bike