Why are we paying MotoGP service prices?

Newoldbiker

baben
2 hours ago, larryblag said:

PicsArt_06-16-03.56.24.jpg

Blimey! Going for the Marty Feldman look but failing thank goodness.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tex

• larryblag

• Defender

• Andy m

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is that where the customer always comes first? 

* Larryblag stands up and salutes *

If Rocker had been able to keep his Crossrunner the services would have been way more expensive than his new 500 (obviously). And his Monkey will be half the cost of the 500..   My son has t

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

Showrooms are full of bikes that their owners hardly ever rode. I'm sure most of us know someone who only rides their bike on dry sunny weekends during the summer. 

My Bonnie T100 was 7 years old when I bought it and had just under 2000 miles on the clock. My own brother in law bought a new Thruxton and put a whopping 340 miles on it in 18 months, he then swapped it for a new Tracer 900 which stands in his garage and the way things are shaping up he'll do even less miles on it than he did on the Thruxton.

Mind you it does look nice parked next to his F type Jag convertible.

I've just seen a 3 year old NC750S with only 600 miles on the clock. It was still serviced every year though!!

Bargain for someone.

• Like 3
Rev Ken
7 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

I've got one, after doing a lot of research.  In fact they don't have a problem*.  They are a great bike, but I would say they often get bought by middle-aged wannabe bikers who hope to rekindle their fading manhood by cruising with their missus across Europe but find the boxers a bit heavy/powerful/big/intimidating/expensive.

Honestly, provided you can live with the shit engine sound (a 360-degree parallel twin, thus even firing intervals like the boxers), it's actually a cracking bike and exudes great design and build quality (much better than the NC in those regards, but £3 grand more, of course).  I can't comment on the looks, because I don't care in the slightest about such things.

* Actually there might be a tiny defect: they seem slightly prone to stalling when pulling away.  I can't decide whether this is just a combination of very light flywheel and fly-by-wire throttle, or some subtle glitch in the ECU software.  But honestly it's an insignificant problem which I don't experience now I'm used to it.

No it is far simpler - it has a high first gear with low rev torque - I stalled a few times on my 2013 F800GT, but once learnt - it took me a few stalls.... it isn't a problem.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

Has it got the latest version of the software?

Always a question worth asking! My 2016 T100 was still on the ‘factory gates’ version (a downside of home servicing) and, following my tweaking it last winter, I had my dealer check it. They updated it with the latest version (FOC) and a general improvement resulted. I now have more power (cam) and better mpg (software). :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
SteveThackery
10 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

No it is far simpler - it has a high first gear with low rev torque - I stalled a few times on my 2013 F800GT, but once learnt - it took me a few stalls.... it isn't a problem.

Yes, that's very true.  In fact I would prefer the gears to be more widely spaced, starting with a lower first.  As you say, you soon get used to it.

• Like 2
SteveThackery
On 6/16/2019 at 21:40, Rev Ken said:

By the way, I still have a small suspicion that there's a glitch involved somewhere.  I've tried deliberately reproducing the effect and it doesn't behave quite the same.  You can slow the engine well below idling speed before it stops, whereas the stalls I've had when pulling away seem different - I don't recall the engine slowing to such a low speed.  Rather, it behaves almost as if the ignition or fuel is deliberately cut.  

Anyway, we'll probably never know, and as you say, with a bit of practice it becomes a non-issue.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

By the way, I still have a small suspicion that there's a glitch involved somewhere.  I've tried deliberately reproducing the effect and it doesn't behave quite the same.  You can slow the engine well below idling speed before it stops, whereas the stalls I've had when pulling away seem different - I don't recall the engine slowing to such a low speed.  Rather, it behaves almost as if the ignition or fuel is deliberately cut.  

Anyway, we'll probably never know, and as you say, with a bit of practice it becomes a non-issue.

Steve, if you complain to BMW U.K. they will reply along the lines of “As BMW motorcycles are designed and built to the highest possible standards, we can only believe the fault lies with the operator” and the final paragraph goes “Plus, we have your money so f*** off!”. Well, that’s not the actual wording, but it’s close enough in intent..

I have such a letter from them myself.. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Andy m

They all do that SSSsssssir

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
larryblag

Took my RT back under warranty for a slight oil leak.

"Is it an A.U.B sir?"

No it's a 1200RT, blue it is.

This is what happens when you've not had a proper hand-over on collection. 

Turns out it was an Ay You Bee. 

They sorted the oil leak and rang me. I took their 1200RS loan bike back (very nice, I washed it too). 

Keys were waiting along with an invoice for about £250? Apparently, I should have mentioned that it was under warranty when I booked it in.

"Mark!" I shouted to the salesman "Sort this out". Red faces and hushed conversations. Then I was free to go no charge. 

Took it back after an hour due to a missfire which wasn't there before. No loan bike the second time either.

Their exercise books should've had "C minus - Must do better" written in the margin in red biro I reckon. 

• Like 2
Rocker66

Oh how BMW service has changed since the 70s. When I bought my R90/6 it amongst other 900s had to go back to BMW for a change of gear box as a recall. I had to take it to their depot which was then at Dover. On arrival I was given a loan bike which had a full tank of fuel. Due to the fuel crisis at the time ships were sailing at reduced speed so there was a wait for the box to arrive from Germany. Whilst I was waiting I took the loan bike to Mallory Park for a race meeting. Whilst I was watching I was spotted by Sebastian who was the area sales manager who came over to me and said your bikes ready. I took the loan bike back to Dover later in the week to collect my bike. Not only had my bike got a full tank of fuel but it had been fully valeted. Now that’s what I call service.

• Like 5
larryblag

I should have explained. AUB is (apparently) Approved Used Bike

Edited by larryblag
Bike NOT "Bone"
  • Thanks 1
larryblag

Mind you, the R nine T Pure is an almost affordable version of the one I've been hanging my nose over for the last five years. 

IMG_20190618_062604_917.jpg

Edited by larryblag
  • Like 3
16 minutes ago, larryblag said:

Mind you, the R nine T Pure is an almost affordable version of the one I've been hanging my nose over for the last five years. 

Yes, I have looked at those myself. ;) It’s pretty ‘bare bones’ (which is how they’ve kept the price down, obviously) but I bet it’s a load of fun. I was looking at one in the IoM and thought it looked great apart from the seat. The rider told me “It’s more comfortable than it looks”.

I said “Yeah, it would have to be!” 

• Haha 1
larryblag

Missenden Flyer rates it. Exhaust note off part throttle sounds addictive. I would like the USD forks but hey, it's a lot more money for those. I also like the single clock. 

• Like 1
larryblag

Morning Tex :)

• Thanks 1

Morning Gary! I thought you were ‘off’ bikes? Or doesn’t the R9T count? :niceone:

• Haha 3
baben
1 hour ago, larryblag said:

IMG_20190618_062604_917.jpg

Kelly wouldn't like it:dielaugh:

• Haha 2
larryblag
1 hour ago, Tex said:

Morning Gary! I thought you were ‘off’ bikes? Or doesn’t the R9T count? :niceone:

In this country yes. The RNT ("Runt" - I like it) will be my retirement present from me to me. :niceone:

• Like 1
Mr Toad
8 hours ago, Tex said:

Yes, I have looked at those myself. ;) It’s pretty ‘bare bones’ (which is how they’ve kept the price down, obviously) but I bet it’s a load of fun. I was looking at one in the IoM and thought it looked great apart from the seat. The rider told me “It’s more comfortable than it looks”.

I said “Yeah, it would have to be!” 

Simon, I've ridden one and they are amazing, although the seat looks like a plank it was very comfortable for the time I was on the bike. I'd have one of these in a heartbeat, in fact if any bike out there was going to tempt me to part with the T100 it would be the NineT in one or other of it's various guises. I particularly like the basic naked one above and the scrambler and the urban GS......................well most of them actually.  :angel:

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Mr Toad said:

Simon, I've ridden one and they are amazing.

I believe you, chum! :) They have the old air/oil cooled 1200 motor don’t they? I love that incarnation of the boxer - brilliant blend of character and refinement. More than enough ‘go’ too. 

• Like 2
lazlo woodbine

Stop it you lot. Now you have me pricing R nine T 's and I was solidly sworn off Beemers. :hmm:

• Haha 2
larryblag

ninet-2.jpg

Just look at em tho? :whistle:

Quite a bit dearer the "standard" bike at over £12k. Too much for a sunny day bike? 

Edited by larryblag
  • Sad 1
Trev
16 hours ago, larryblag said:

ninet-2.jpg

Just look at em tho? :whistle:

Quite a bit dearer the "standard" bike at over £12k. Too much for a sunny day bike? 

Too much for a wet day bike! You lot must have money to burn :frantics: :D 

• Like 2
Andy m

What does that do for £12K that a CB650R doesn't do for £7K? I bet you still have to buy decent tyres, shocks if so inclined and all the preservation and cleaning stuff to stop it rotting.

I'll propose an answer to my own questions: The extra £5K gives you a feeling it must be better because it cost more. Tell you what, I have an exclusive special edition version I can get for £15K (and that's cutting my own throat). Only one in the world with a plastikote gold coloured front mudguard. Delivery will be a week after the Suited Lizards deliver the standard one to me :angel:

I wouldn't limit the riding to sunny days just because it's naked, a decent rain suit is a lot cheaper than an RT.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Andy m said:

What does that do for £12K that a CB650R doesn't do for £7K?

I find it really tough to come up with anything!

I love a boxer, me. And I love shaft drive. But on the roads I am likely to ride on, well.. 

That damn CB650R is getting under my skin a bit. It seems to combine just the right amount of the ‘good stuff’ (power, handling, brakes) with stunning (to my eyes) good looks. Every time I look at one I see the original CB400F (the bike that convinced me that the Japanese were actually serious!). 

But what will it do that Percy the Triumph can’t? That’s not me asking, BTW, it’s MrsT :( 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1