High beam dash light constantly 'on' (and odd Cree Fogs)

Nightman

Hi All, bit of an odd issue here. Riding my bike in to town this morning I noticed the small blue 'high beam' indicator light illuminated on my dash. Thinking I'd inadvertently switched high beam on I check ed the switch and found I hadn't. I then checked my high beam wasn't on, and it wasn't. Also, my high beam does change when I flick the switch, so that's okay. My issue is, the dash light is constantly on. It's basically giving a false reading. I'm guessing I've possibly a shorting wire somewhere? Could it be after the bike stood in the torrential rain yesterday? Is this a known fault? I'm very new to this bike. Loving it but still discovering it's little 'things'. I'm also wondering whether this issue is related to the odd behaviour of the Cree LED fogs the previous owner installed. They have a habit of switching off when the bike's on full left or right lock and then back on as you straighten the bars. Each time they come back on they're either bright, dim or flashing (cycled pattern). I suspect I'm going to have to find someone (I haven't got any local Honda dealers) who knows electronics (and bike panels!) that can have a look for me... Anyone experienced similar?

listener

Sounds like you may have a dodgy connector or cable.

I suspect they used wire taps to connect the fogs.

Those foul things are the work of Satan! :devil:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm beginning to suspect the same. I was hoping they'd gone about it the correct way (which I believe is to have an accessory sub harness fitted?) as they'd also installed heated grips and the cigarette lighter/charging port in the 'frunk'. I guess a trip to someone more NC knowledgable than I is on the cards. :-/

Edited by Nightman
spelling error
Rocker66

May I suggest that you post where you are located as maybe there is a member near you who can help or recommend someone who can.

• Thanks 1

Of course... that'd help. :) 

I'm in Bexley, Kent (South East London).

• Like 1
The Possum

I'd ask was the  main beam light always on when you bought it and you've just noticed cus it's dark and rainy?  And, does it go off coincidentally when you turn the handlebars to full lock and the Cree lights hit their dodgy connection?   If it does ,it'd suggest they ran the feed for the lights from the  main beam.  No matter what, I'd want to get rid of the dodgy connection to  the Cree's   and would take a feed with an inline fuse directly from the battery to a switch on the handlebar.  It's actually not that hard a job to do yourself, and you only have to take off the air duct panel to access a route for the wiring which the manual helps you with....go on have a go and enjoy tinkering  

• Thanks 1

The main beam works perfectly as it should (turn it on it comes on. Turn it off it goes off) and doesn't cut out on lock. And funnily enough the dash light problem didn't make an appearance today. Most strange. The Fog Light cutting out does still remain an issue though, so that will be something I'll have to deal with. I'm sure, once I give the panels a look, I'll be able to have a little tinker. I must admit to rather enjoying 'having a tinker' and fixing things myself (once I get over the initial "oh my god what am I doing?"). :) 

Thanks guys. That said, if anyone knows or can recommend a good mechanic/garage in my neck of the woods, for anything more 'serious', I'd be grateful for future reference.

Edited by Nightman
  • Like 1
larryblag

I agree. Probably best to deinstall the fog wiring and make good first. Get back to standard. This will either cure the fault or at least make further fault finding easier. Check especially around the headstock area where the loom flexes with the movement of the bars. 

Then look at rewiring your fogs properly, preferably using a relay? 

Guest DelBoy

Sounds like it could be water in the electrics shorting out, as It has been a tad damp lately :shocked:

The Spot light thing definitely sounds like a bad connection or broken wire etc.

Not sure that the 2 problems are connected

On 11/06/2019 at 14:23, Nightman said:

Of course... that'd help. :) 

I'm in Bexley, Kent (South East London).

I am in Abbey Wood. Not far from you at all!  However I am in college this week down near Battle and then working next weekend.  But happy to have a poke around and see what is happening. 

I tend to avoid electrickery stuff, but am a fair hand at most mechanical stuff.

Local mechanic?  Well is Greenwich too far for you?  You can drop the bike off and take train from Westcombe Park into Central London or back to Bexley way.  www.trimoto.co.uk and www.lcrmotorcycles.co.uk and www.mmemotorcycles.co.uk.  I've used TriMoto for around 10 years for various bikes.  They are great fellows and do excellent work.

Edited by makman
  • 1 month later...

Thanks guys. Apologies for the delayed response to you all. I thought I'd get emails informing me of any thread replies. I didn't. The problem hasn't reared its head of late but other than a couple of wet days it's been pretty dry/hot.

I actually came back onto to the forum to investigate 'clunky' noises around gear changes 1 & 2 when no gear change is taking place and saw your replies. I'm now wondering if these noises are just a Honda DCT 'thing' or something I should concerned about. Not had the bike that long so I'm still learning what's 'normal'. :) 

embee
14 minutes ago, Nightman said:

…..I actually came back onto to the forum to investigate 'clunky' noises around gear changes 1 & 2 when no gear change is taking place and saw your replies. I'm now wondering if these noises are just a Honda DCT 'thing' or something I should concerned about. Not had the bike that long so I'm still learning what's 'normal'. :) 

First thing is to check the chain slack. It should be about 30mm vertical up/down mid-span on the lower chain run with the bike on the side stand, this usually corresponds roughly with being able to just touch the chain onto the rubbing strip on the underside of the swingarm with reasonable finger pressure.

Has it just developed, gradually got worse, or been there all along? Bikes notoriously produce clonks and knocks and whines from all sorts of things, but there's no specific characteristic of the DCT for random clonks other than during a gearshift and then only in the lower gears, 4/5/6 are usually seamless, 1/2 will clonk, 3 maybe will maybe won't.

Grumpy old man
7 hours ago, embee said:

First thing is to check the chain slack. It should be about 30mm vertical up/down mid-span on the lower chain run with the bike on the side stand, this usually corresponds roughly with being able to just touch the chain onto the rubbing strip on the underside of the swingarm with reasonable finger pressure.

Has it just developed, gradually got worse, or been there all along? Bikes notoriously produce clonks and knocks and whines from all sorts of things, but there's no specific characteristic of the DCT for random clonks other than during a gearshift and then only in the lower gears, 4/5/6 are usually seamless, 1/2 will clonk, 3 maybe will maybe won't.

My NC'X was quite agricultural 😊 on the gears but after taking advice from Embee and changing oil to Castrol from Motul there has been a big improvement. 

well .... thats normal.   im familiar with that light, and it toggles between low, high, and flash each time they are turned on.

you will need a bar mounted momentary disconnect switch to flip them through their modes.  Also, they can get out of sync if you have 2.

High beam indicator is likely due to how they were wired (direct off bikes high beam lead I'd guess).

Cutting out when turning, sounds like a poor connection breaking when the wire gets tugged somehow.

Id trace the  light's wiring, remove it and the lights, then replace with decent lamps and careful new wiring job, including  relay.

SteveThackery
On 7/30/2019 at 21:53, Nightman said:

I actually came back onto to the forum to investigate 'clunky' noises around gear changes 1 & 2 when no gear change is taking place and saw your replies. I'm now wondering if these noises are just a Honda DCT 'thing' or something I should concerned about. 

I was about to join in with the others to reassure you that clonky gear changes into 1st and 2nd are pretty normal for the DCT bikes.  However, could you clarify "when no gear change is taking place"?  I've realised I don't quite understand what you were saying.

20 minutes ago, SteveThackery said:

I've realised I don't quite understand what you were saying.

Well, it makes the familiar clunk I've come to expect from a 1-2 gear change but when I check the dash, no gear change has taken place. Sometimes I get 1 'clunk', sometimes 2. Occasionally it'll make the same noise in 2 but not often. I don't notice the noise from 3 upwards. The bike can also be a bit 'snatchy' whilst crawling in traffic.

I'm away on holiday soon and the bike's due a full clean and chain lube at the weekend before I go and I may even try out the old DCT system reboot I've read about on here. I normally check the chain tension but will give it an even closer inspection whilst I'm giving it some TLC. If the noise is still there after I've checked these things out it'll be time to find a decent garage in my area, for them to have a look. Thanks for the advice though guys. Very much appreciated. :) 

• Like 1
Rocker66
57 minutes ago, Nightman said:

Well, it makes the familiar clunk I've come to expect from a 1-2 gear change but when I check the dash, no gear change has taken place. Sometimes I get 1 'clunk', sometimes 2. Occasionally it'll make the same noise in 2 but not often. I don't notice the noise from 3 upwards. The bike can also be a bit 'snatchy' whilst crawling in traffic.

I'm away on holiday soon and the bike's due a full clean and chain lube at the weekend before I go and I may even try out the old DCT system reboot I've read about on here. I normally check the chain tension but will give it an even closer inspection whilst I'm giving it some TLC. If the noise is still there after I've checked these things out it'll be time to find a decent garage in my area, for them to have a look. Thanks for the advice though guys. Very much appreciated. :) 

If you need a dealer with a good reputation you might consider a quick trip down the A2 to Kent M/Cs who are recommended by several of us on here.