Andrewni

Battery woes

Andrewni

I've just attempted to go out a run on the bike only to discover that the battery was dead. I've not got any 3rd party add ons that may be draining the battery but I haven't been out much on it recently so I'm guessing it's just lack of use (when it has been run it's only been short runs of less than 10 miles) 

I've dug out my trickle charger /maintainer which hasn't seen the light of day in over 10 years and after an hour I've now got life in the dash and it will attempt to turn over though not enough juice to start yet. I've decided that it would probably be best to keep it hooked up when in the garage but as my charger only has crocodile clips it will make it a bit of a pita to access the battery terminals on a regular basis. So I've been online searching but can't find a "motorbike battery terminal extension kit" which would work - they all seem to be bundled with chargers and have proprietary plugs rather than suitable for my Croc clips. 

Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable kit (I've no issue with chopping the Croc clips off if I could get a male and female quick connector) or should I stop being a tight git and buy a new Oxford charger with all the bits included for around £30?

Rocker66
30 minutes ago, Andrewni said:

I've just attempted to go out a run on the bike only to discover that the battery was dead. I've not got any 3rd party add ons that may be draining the battery but I haven't been out much on it recently so I'm guessing it's just lack of use (when it has been run it's only been short runs of less than 10 miles) 

I've dug out my trickle charger /maintainer which hasn't seen the light of day in over 10 years and after an hour I've now got life in the dash and it will attempt to turn over though not enough juice to start yet. I've decided that it would probably be best to keep it hooked up when in the garage but as my charger only has crocodile clips it will make it a bit of a pita to access the battery terminals on a regular basis. So I've been online searching but can't find a "motorbike battery terminal extension kit" which would work - they all seem to be bundled with chargers and have proprietary plugs rather than suitable for my Croc clips. 

Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable kit (I've no issue with chopping the Croc clips off if I could get a male and female quick connector) or should I stop being a tight git and buy a new Oxford charger with all the bits included for around £30?

Apparently there has been quite a few improvements to battery tenders over the last few years so if I were in your situation I would spend the £30 and end up with a tender that I just had to plug in.. This is what we have on our bikes although ours are optimates. Worth the money for the inconvenience of knowing your battery is not going to be flat.

• Like 1

Andrewni
41 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

Apparently there has been quite a few improvements to battery tenders over the last few years so if I were in your situation I would spend the £30 and end up with a tender that I just had to plug in.. This is what we have on our bikes although ours are optimates. Worth the money for the inconvenience of knowing your battery is not going to be flat.

Thanks, yes it looks like I need to dust off the wallet and get a new charger! 

• Like 1

Bart Stilgo

How old is the battery?

Around five years and you should be considering a replacement.

• Like 1

The Possum

Erm, I'm a tight git so I'd get the male & female Accumate compatible terminals on e bay for £1.10. Throw in a  the twin feed with a fuse on the live with round battery connectors £2.00 and chop off your crocodile clips.  It wont be water proof so you'll have to be sneaky about tying it back to access it easily whilst able to push it behind the lower side panel.  There are the water proof SAE terminals but they're about £3 by themselves!    

• Like 1

Mr Toad
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Andrewni said:

Thanks, yes it looks like I need to dust off the wallet and get a new charger! 

I can thoroughly recommend the Aldi/Lidl charger at £14 ish they have them in on a fairly regular basis. They can be left connected as a maintainer and work really well. I bought one to keep my Bonnie topped up and a second when I bought the NC which is now used on the GS as required.

And, they come with a three year warranty.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/autoxs-car-battery-charger/p/097088252113900

Just like Possum I bought some Optimate/Accumate male and female connectors from fleabay to make connection a real doddle. The female sockets that I bought are water resistant/proof, with a rubber cap, and were still only a couple of quid each. 

Edited by Mr Toad

sid

Sorry, but considering how cheap they are these days, I just don't see why some won't spend the money on one of these battery conditioners / minders.

I have a Noco Genius, waterproof connection permanently connected to the battery inside the frunk.

If I'm not using the bike for a while, I just plug it in and the battery is kept charged and in good nick.

ste7ios

I can’t suggest Lidl’s  charger. I measured the output voltage and it was to high, to aggressive for a battery. It could be the specific batch.

You may try it but do some measurements at the beginning before you trust it...

Personally I prefer Optimates and creeks...

• Like 3

ste7ios

Creeks = Cteks! Damned spellcheck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

embee

Beware Creeks bearing gifts. ;)

• Like 1