Westy

Recommended Tyres; Advice please

Westy

I have factory fitted Dunlop tyres on my 16 plate NC 750x. 1000 miles and they are shot. I have heard that other riders are unhappy with them. What do you recommend. (Only travel 3k miles per annum). Fair weather. 

Thank you

Martin 

baben

Honda did a swap on the Dunlops for unhappy riders so worth trying your dealer for an exchange first, failing that depends on your budget - lots of people use Michelin pilot 4 or 5 but there are plenty of other good options.

• Thanks 1

Tel

Avon Trailrider tyres are superb in wet and dry conditions and style-wise they look 'right' on the 750X. 

Mind you, tyres above everything else are a personal choice and what suits one person won't suit another.

Everybody raves about Metzeler Roadtec 01 but I didn't like them at all...

• Like 1

Tex

Almost anything will be better than the OE Dunlops! I would go for Michelin R5s or the, slightly cheaper, Avon Spirit STs.

• Like 3

Brigante7

Bridgestone BT023, I'm on my 2nd set and they have been great in both dry & wet.

Brigante7.

Andy m

Michelin PR's for me. 

The Dunaplops must be the worse tyre ever. Even the Pneumats on my first MZ were at least entertaining. 

Andy

• Haha 1

Tex

I notice that Honda seems to be changing it’s policy on OE tyres (about bloody time) as Michelin R5, Metzeler Roadtec and Michelin City Grip are all on new bikes in the showrooms. Hurrah! 

Griff

I have found that most big brand name tyres fitted by Honda are very poor regardless of tyre brand. When I queried this once with Dunlop whose tyres were fitted to my former Africa Twin, Dunlop virtually disowned the tyres pointing out that those particular items were manufactured to Honda's specifications. I have used similar Dunlops on other bikes and found them to be excellent tyres aftermarket. However on the AT they were dire.  I had similar experiences with the Z8's fitted to my former NC700X.  Z8's are otherwise good tyres. 

As such I no longer trust any tyres fitted by any manufacturer from new. I had a similar experience with the Bridgestones fitted to my Strom purchased new last year. 

My recommendation would be for Michelin Road 5's . Probably the best aftermarket tyres I have ever used, wet or dry. 

Edited by Griff

Bart Stilgo

About three years ago I bought my first ever new car.

It had Michelin tyres on it.

25000 miles later the tyres were still going strong.

I was informed by my local tyre guy that OEM tyres have a different compound to ensure a long life.  The thinking being you would buy another set as they were so good.

Seems reasonable!

Why on earth did Dunlop cut their own throats by agreeing to put poor quality tyres on the NC?

Ciaran1602

If you have the Battlewings fitted, pretty much anything will better. The OEM fits I have on the s are Battlax T30s that are a whole order of magnitude better. BT023 have been great in other bikes I’ve ridden as have Avon Storms on bikes I’ve owned previously. Michelin PR4/5 get rave reviews if you’re happy with spending the premium

listener

I've had Pirelli Angels (ST & later GT) fitted on my NC700X & previous NC750X.

They've been very good - certainly miles better than the OEM liquorice crap.

Then again, I'm not a 'scratcher' so don't really explore the limits of lean but I've heard good things about Pirelli's sportier Diablos, if you're in to that sort of nonsense(:P).

I think tyres, like screens and seats, are very much a 'taste' thing. I find that, whilst advice from other riders may inform you as to what's available for your bike, you may need to try a few options before you find a tyre that you fully like.

trisaki

Just fitted  conti road attack 2 seem to be great , good grip , very controlled lean into corners  , used to have b/stone t30 , think were harder compound with no problems over 9000 miles inc touring  , I do run 38psi solo pressure  in the rear as 42psi is too hard 

• Like 2

Rev Ken
20 hours ago, Griff said:

I have found that most big brand name tyres fitted by Honda are very poor regardless of tyre brand. When I queried this once with Dunlop whose tyres were fitted to my former Africa Twin, Dunlop virtually disowned the tyres pointing out that those particular items were manufactured to Honda's specifications. I have used similar Dunlops on other bikes and found them to be excellent tyres aftermarket. However on the AT they were dire.  I had similar experiences with the Z8's fitted to my former NC700X.  Z8's are otherwise good tyres. 

As such I no longer trust any tyres fitted by any manufacturer from new. I had a similar experience with the Bridgestones fitted to my Strom purchased new last year. 

My recommendation would be for Michelin Road 5's . Probably the best aftermarket tyres I have ever used, wet or dry. 

A talk from a Bridgestone tech rep also confirmed they make tyres to bike manufacturers specifications. He thought they were stupid as tyre manufacturers know more about tyres than bike manufacturers. His concern is that if they are second rate it reflects on the tyre manufacturer. Personally if bike manufacturers want their own version of tyres this ought to be made clear on the tyre carcass. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

old commuter

I have had 2 sets of Bridgestone BT 023 found them fine and get decent mileage. 12k.

Brigante7
1 hour ago, old commuter said:

I have had 2 sets of Bridgestone BT 023 found them fine and get decent mileage. 12k.

Same here.

Brigante7.

• Like 1

sid
On 14/06/2019 at 18:17, Griff said:

The Dunlops on my Rebel are not worth a carrot tbh. Bikes brand new, but I may get them replaced on the first service. They can burn the Dunlops......