Sign in to follow this  
Mike5100

Honda heated grips - wot a ripoff

Mike5100

Maybe we can apply some pressure to Honda UK (europe?) by running a series of these 'wot a ripoff' threads.

I've just paid £300 for genuine Honda grips (inc two other bits you need)

Here's a guy selling the same things in the USA at £157

http://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/HONDA-NC700X-HEATED-GRIPS-ATTACHMENT-KIT-RELAY-KIT-2012-2013-/251132384979?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a78a816d3#ht_500wt_906

Mind you of course Her Majesty's government have taken £60 for allowing me the pleasure of buying them in the UK so it's not entirely Honda's fault

Mike

Guest gunshot72

It's only fair Mike. We need as much tax revenue as possible to bail failing banks and maintain the lifestyles, addictions and ignorance of our wonderful foul mouthed football strip wearing unemployable 'citizens'.

Guest aussieiain

To be fair..I expected most...if not all of the Honda kit to be pricey. E.G The "Light bar" that those expensive foggys mount onto costs about £140. I knew what I was getting into when I bought this gear....If it was more reasonable I would have bought more kit. I don't mind paying good money for good gear...what other Honda kit is over the top?

Edited by aussieiain

Mike5100

Some look OK value.

The centre stand at £170 isn't outrageous, The rack (inc the extra bits you need) isn't horrific at £180. The air deflectors are pricey for some lumps of plastic, but to be honest no-one else is going to make any alternative because of the tooling costs. Even so perhaps Honda should have made them part of the bike

.... but as for the heated grips - I guess I am paying a premium of about £250 to have a neat illuminated built in switch :getlost:

Mike

Rev Ken

Some look OK value.

The centre stand at £170 isn't outrageous, The rack (inc the extra bits you need) isn't horrific at £180. The air deflectors are pricey for some lumps of plastic, but to be honest no-one else is going to make any alternative because of the tooling costs. Even so perhaps Honda should have made them part of the bike

.... but as for the heated grips - I guess I am paying a premium of about £250 to have a neat illuminated built in switch :getlost:

Mike

Perhaps I am living in the dark ages, but these prices frighten me! I would think that a 50% reduction in all the prices could still show a reasonable profit, or am I being unreasonable?

Guest Holliday

i like my heated grips :) i use them in the mornings on 60& and i find them value for money after seeing som eaftermarket grips in use, they are really fat and i dididnt like them at all.

Guest Lockon2

I fitted the R&G grips to my 700x and they work fine, just needed to file the lip of the throttle to allow the grip to slide on - these are on that auction site for less than £40.

Mike5100

ah yes but I get an illuminated built in switch for a mere £260 extra :D

Mike

Guest CBR45

I ummed and ahhed about the cost of the Honda grips.

In the end I did it, the quality is great, the heat amazing, and I helped keep my brillinat local dealer in business.

Plus, the quad harness that comes as part of the kit has come in very handy for powering other accesories.

Guess we pays our money and takes takes our choice!

Mike5100

Yeah - I guess the harness will come in handy, and mean I won't need to fit the fuzeblock. Paul - what will I need to power my Garmin Zumo 220 directly from the harness. It's just a mini USB power socket on the Zumo, but what kind of connector is needed to join up with the harness, and is it 5volts that's already coming out of the harness or do I still need the step-down gubbins?

Thanks

Mike

PS are all the spare harness plugs easily accesible through the battery trapdoor?

Guest CBR45

The harness is behind the left side panel. Fair bit of stripping to get to it.

My Zumo 660 runs fine connected directly to the harness.

You have two options.

1. Cut off the standard block and use the bare wires to connect up

2. Keep the standard block, and splice into the wires before it. Solder new wires and a new connector to it, and connect the other half of the block to the Zumo lead. I chose this option.

I'm going to use another spare connector to do the same with a 12v socket.

Its a switched live, and I'm not going to plug any more super expensive Honda stuff into the harness.

Honda do a bespoke lead for my Zumo that plugs directly into the harmless. For £150. My route cost £5 using the Zumo's supplied lead.

Mike5100

I will have to dig out my zumo lead. the one that connects directly to the battery is mounted on my other bike, but I think there's another one with a 12v cig plug on one end. I could cut this off and as you say splice the wires behind whatever plug Honda thinks is worth £150. Mind you I'd better strip down the cig plug as there may be a 12v-5v step down circuit in there.

Mike

Rocker66

It's only fair Mike. We need as much tax revenue as possible to bail failing banks and maintain the lifestyles, addictions and ignorance of our wonderful foul mouthed football strip wearing unemployable 'citizens'.

Hey I wear a replica football shirt when I go to matches. I left school at 15 and started work. I'm now 65 so past the age of retirement yey I'm still working. Apart from claiming sickness benifit when I broke my leg I have never claimed a days unemployment benefit or any other type of state hand out not even child allowance. My father was never able to claim child allowance for me as you didn't get anything for the 1st child then. Everything I have I have had to work long hours for and yes that includes my football shirt.

I only have the occassional drink as I'm not allowed to drink for 24 hours before going on duty and most of my social life involves using the bike and I NEVER drink when I'm going to ride.

Apart from a couple of speeding fines i have never been in trouble with the police.

In view of all the above I feel that it is very unfair if not downright rude to degrade myself or many other hard working football fans 9have you seen the priceof tickets?) just because we wear our teams colours

As to being foul mouthed I don't normally swear odr if I do it's very mildly but your post makes me want to use every expletive I can think of. Maybe you should think twice before stereotyping people

Guest hairnet

dick

he hates spurs

the rest we have no prob with ;)

Rocker66

I hate arsenal but I wouldn't classify all their supporters as the same*. In fact 2 of my mates at work are gooners

* Other than having no taste in football teams that is :) :)

Mike5100

Well they have half fitted the Honda heated grips, but they are still waiting for one of the 4 parts (some wire or other), that Honda are now saying end of September. But the dealer is thinking of putting in a warranty claim as there are bubbles in the rubber on the left grip. At first I said it didn't matter, but then I thought FFS, these are costing £300, it does matter.

Oh yeah and the fitter has had to sort of tape wrap a whole bunch of wires under the left handlebar. This is of course because all the control wires run to the left grip as well as the heating wire to there too. It makes for an unsightly ugly mess. I'm thinking of scrapping the idea of the Honda grips and ask them to fit some aftermarket ones.

Mike

ncmf

Hot grips and ride 3k with the savings

Guest CBR45

Well they have half fitted the Honda heated grips, but they are still waiting for one of the 4 parts (some wire or other), that Honda are now saying end of September. But the dealer is thinking of pu. ing in a warranty claim as there are bubbles in the rubber on the left grip. At first I said it didn't matter, but then I thought FFS, these are costing £300, it does matter.

Oh yeah and the fitter has had to sort of tape wrap a whole bunch of wires under the left handlebar. This is of course because all the control wires run to the left grip as well as the heating wire to there too. It makes for an unsightly ugly mess. I'm thinking of scrapping the idea of the Honda grips and ask them to fit some aftermarket ones.

Mike

What???

With the exception of some electrical tape over a connector that's hidden down by the head stock, my grips look like they were fitted at the factory.

There is an excess is wire, and on mine its nicely bundled and hidden away behind the left side panel.

Sounds like your dealers mechanic needs a slap! No need for it to be left like that at all.

The grips are fantastic and the quad harness that is part of the kit is very handy for multiple switched lives to power accessories.

Have a word!!

Mike5100

Thanks Paul - so how many extra wires are installed under the left handlebar?

Mike

Guest CBR45

There is one wire running from the left handle bar. Its routed with all the other cables and disappears under the left hand side body work.

There it is connected to the quad harness which has a total of four outlets to power devices, including the grips.

The harness plugs into a plug already present in the main loom.

Mike5100

Just been on to dealer - they are going to put a claim in to Honda 'cos they don't think it looks good either. So when they get a new pair, hopefully they won't tape wrap that single wire.

Mike

Guest CBR45

Good news.

Its a Honda, and the parts are pricey. You have to be happy with it, no questions.

Mike5100

Well they have half fitted the Honda heated grips, but they are still waiting for one of the 4 parts (some wire or other), that Honda are now saying end of September. But the dealer is thinking of pu. ing in a warranty claim as there are bubbles in the rubber on the left grip. At first I said it didn't matter, but then I thought FFS, these are costing £300, it does matter.

Mike

What???

With the exception of some electrical tape over a connector that's hidden down by the head stock, my grips look like they were fitted at the factory.

There is an excess is wire, and on mine its nicely bundled and hidden away behind the left side panel.

Sounds like your dealers mechanic needs a slap! No need for it to be left like that at all.

The grips are fantastic and the quad harness that is part of the kit is very handy for multiple switched lives to power accessories.

Have a word!!

From what I can recall seeing of mine in the workshop the extra wiring looked like the bike in this video http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/2334-best-video-road-test-on-a-nc700-owners-demo/ Take a look at 8 mins 30 secs in. His doesn't look very professionally bound up either

Mike

Mike5100

Paul - could I ask you a big favour please. I would like a pic of the right hand heated grip. On mine when the throttle is closed the heater wire sticks out directly towards me and I keep catching it as I go to change between D and S or start the bike. If it is meant to be like this it looks very bad design as I think the wire will break internally at some point. I thought - no problem just ask them to fit it so the wire exits vertically downwards when they come to fit the replacement set ..... but then I read that the heating pattern on the grip is designed to only put heat where your hand touches, so if ask them to vary the way the grip is fitted, I might end up with no heat elements under my hand :ermm:

Mike

Guest CBR45

Throttle side

IMG_20120919_161642.jpg

IMG_20120919_161743.jpg

IMG_20120919_161751.jpg

IMG_20120919_161653.jpg

Clutch side

IMG_20120919_161602.jpg

IMG_20120919_161628.jpg

Its a really clean and tidy install as far as I am concerned. Certainly doesnt look like it was fitted after manufacture.

As for the throttle side having to be fitted in a certain position, well, the throttle moves.......

I have tried the grips (although its not been cold enough to need them) and can confirm that I can feel the heat in both hands with the grips fitted like this.

Top marks to Bransons of Gloucester!