Sign in to follow this  
Mike5100

Honda heated grips - wot a ripoff

Rocker66

Spent an afternoon on Good Friday fitting the Honda heated grips (bought on that auction site from Tippets Honda dealer). They're really good, but the install was a right faff. And the instructions are not the easiest to follow (they appear easy to follow until you realise they are ordered stupidly). They look great and work great. All I have to solve now is the (pre-existing) problem of the battery that goes flat as soon as I take the bike off the optimate...

Which type did you get -  Tippetts have some universal Honda grips for £107 and 'new style' NC700 grips for £264?  Not sure what the difference is.

About £157. sorry I'm on leave and bored

• Like 1

Guest simon

I went for the 'new style' as you call them. I had the accessory loom already so it cost £240 - plus about £10 for grip glue and special alcohol cleaning stuff to stop the glue going off too quickly.

Guest bigboytrev
I bought my X and collected it on Tuesday. Very happy so far apart from my local dealer had made a real bodge job of fitting heated grips. I was told that they were doing me a "deal" with fitting @£150, I was assuming this was going to be the Honda grips but they turned out to be Oxford. Riding off I noticed that the throttle felt like it was going to fall off having a full 25% turn before the throttle engaged! This was tightned up still not feeling great, as this was on Tuesday it was still fairly cold so I decided to switch the grips on.... guess what only one grip heated up. The following day I went back to the dealer and  after blowing a few F....s into the manager he has agreed to fit Honda girps for which I will need to make a small contribution to. He did mention that these have a problem with water leaks. Does anyone have these Honda grips and has anyone had any water leaks with them as the dealer has mentioned that this is a known problem?

Rocker66

I bought my X and collected it on Tuesday. Very happy so far apart from my local dealer had made a real bodge job of fitting heated grips. I was told that they were doing me a "deal" with fitting @£150, I was assuming this was going to be the Honda grips but they turned out to be Oxford. Riding off I noticed that the throttle felt like it was going to fall off having a full 25% turn before the throttle engaged! This was tightned up still not feeling great, as this was on Tuesday it was still fairly cold so I decided to switch the grips on.... guess what only one grip heated up. The following day I went back to the dealer and  after blowing a few F....s into the manager he has agreed to fit Honda girps for which I will need to make a small contribution to. He did mention that these have a problem with water leaks. Does anyone have these Honda grips and has anyone had any water leaks with them as the dealer has mentioned that this is a known problem?

Firstly it appears as though the dealer is ripping you off

Secondly I have had the Honda grips on all winter and have had no problems despite riding in some really heavy rain

Mike5100

me too 

They are too expensive but haven't so far had any problems with water.

Mike

Guest bigboytrev

Many thanks for your replies, I did mention to them that their "deal" was the same price as I had been quoted as a standard fitment by Farnham Honda and that you could buy the same kit on that auction site for around £60 so even if their labour costs were £60/hour it was not much of a deal.....anyway I am getting their crappy fitment replaced by genuine Honda for an extra £20. I would be interested to hear what I would be expected to pay for the first 600 mile service just incase they try and bump this up to cover any extra costs for changing the grips??

Guest NCXrookie

NCX heated grips are good but not the easiest to see what setting they are on.  No problems with water ingress.  They are under warranty.   About £100 for first or 600 mile service.  This used to be pay for consumables only a few bikes back in time.  Will not be changing in a hurry. 

JaseR

I have the Honda heated grips and unfortunately I did have an issue with them in rain - I apologise for the quality of the linked video but it was the only way I could prove it to Thunder Road.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1thu96lzd6nwk6g/Heated_Grips.mpg

Thunder Road stripped the installation down and apparently found some corrosion on a connection which they cleaned up and all has been good since then :D

Guest fresh air

FIRST POST

Hi everybody,

Neil from Suffolk here (I just repeated that because I cannot see that information on the left hand side - perhaps it will come up when I post this off ?)

Anyway, I bought a new NC700 XDC 2 days ago having driven a demo model for 100 miles 2 weeks ago and was pleased as punch.   I have Honda heated grips fitted with a 'not very effective' taller Honda windshield and rear hugger and front extender.

I first experienced Honda heated grips on a quad bike I used to be allowed to ride whilst working as a handyman for 3 years and found them to be faultless so had them fitted.    These (my new bike) also have the wire sticking out towards me (as mentioned by previous concerned poster) but I do not see this as a problem and the short amount of twisting of the throttle should hardly have any impact on the life of the wire IMO.

What I would like to know is ... how do you turn the darn thing off ?!  A large comprehensive fitting book was handed over to me (as per printed instructions) but there are no user instructions anywhere to be seen.

It was demo'd to me when I left the shop, but I cannot remember how he changed the temperature and I never saw how he turned it off.   I also wonder if it will make leather gloves slightly brittle over prolonged use ?

Cheers People.

Edited by fresh air

Rocker66

If I remember correctly. When you switch them on they start at highest temp. just push the button until the lights flash which will take it down a level do this twice more and light should go out completely and grips will be off. Alternatively just switch ignition off which will also switch grips off

Guest fresh air

If I remember correctly. When you switch them on they start at highest temp. just push the button until the lights flash which will take it down a level do this twice more and light should go out completely and grips will be off. Alternatively just switch ignition off which will also switch grips off

Thanks,  I think I was attempting this whilst driving with the gloves on last night ... ... methinks I may have to use my teeth to take the left glove off and then try it as the little button is a bit on the small and flat side with no 'feel' to it.   This may explain why it came on without my seemingly to touch it !

Rocker66

Instructions actually tell you not to adjust the grips whilst riding but I think that's just from a safety aspect and covers them if you should have an accident whilst doing so

michael

Chose the factory grips as my prior experience with them was good. 

Pricey?

Yes. Perhaps. Then again, factory warranty and factory fitment are both asset's in my book.

Held makes a glove, Warm 'n' Dry, which is designed for use with heated grips. Insulation and padding on the back of the hand, leather in thickness similar to Steve's gloves, which has been in regular use on my hands for a decade. Gortex liner in a leather and synthetic glove.

The fit is a little smaller than the Steve's, but the quality is as good, as when using heated grips the backs of my hands do not get cold.

edgey999

My new DCT has the latest Oxford grips on and I have to say they are a huge improvement on the last ones I had. Cost £70 fitted and work just as well as the Honda ones i tried.

ste7ios

I really like the factory grips. They easily fit and they're nice looking BUT they are overpriced. So I choose Oxford's sport heated grips. It was a pain to fit them but the job done for a few bucks only...

Guest chrismacp

I got the factory heated grips thrown in for free when I bought my X a couple of weeks back and really like them. A little fiddly to control when you're on the move but plenty warm.

Worth trying to get them included if you're buying new.