Jump to content
Woody 99

Drive & Sport mode

Recommended Posts

Woody 99
Posted (edited)

After coming back from my Italian trip I felt that the transmission was no longer as smooth as usual - holding gears longer than normal and clunking gear changes, especially when engine braking coming down a hill. I’d read here somewhere about resetting the DCT so I stopped by the dealer to ask him to check it out. Net effect was that he reset the DCT and the fuel injection (I assume that’s what he meant by FI) and off I went - everything seemingly back to normal...except it wasn’t. 

 

Now, both modes are shown on the dash as being active - sport and drive - so I have no actual confirmation what mode I am in (I know you can tell by the feel of the bike, but it would still be nice for it to work properly). One call to the garage and I’m none the wiser, and sadly, neither are they. “Oh, don’t worry, we’ll fix it the next time you bring it in for a tyre change or a service”, they said, which strikes me as being a thoroughly unsatisfactory response. After a bit of pushing he said he would of course look into it and get back to me, but off the top of his head he had no clue what the problem was. 

 

Can anyone on here think of what might have happened? The bike seems to run ok but I would still like to get to the bottom of it. 

 

Thanks. 

Edited by Woody 99

Share this post


Link to post
Tex

Ah, I seem to recall seeing something about this before? I would do the clutch initialisation procedure yourself. It’s done in a few moments and requires no tools or specialist knowledge. Someone else will need to explain exactly how to do it though - I’ve forgotten! ;) 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tonyj

I think the only real provision is for the bike to be upto temperature when doing the drive drive neutral drive thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Bart Stilgo

Right.  I have my trusty bit of crumpled paper next to me on the sofa for the 2016 onwards

 

Get the bike to working temperature first.

 

Get on board the bike and start the motor

With transmission key in N for neutral,  switch off the ignition to stop the motor

With the ignition off FULLY OPEN the THROTTLE and press  AND HOLD the switch into D

Switch the ignition on but DONT START THE MOTOR (Whilst still holding throttle open as well as the D button)

Wait, until you see in the dashboard display the yellow symbol for the motor disappear, then let go of the D key that you have been pressing (Still hold throttle open)

Now the tricky bit.  As fast as you can press the sequence

D D N D N

In the dashboard display BOTH the letters D and S should appear

CLOSE THE THROTTLE

Turn on the motor BUT do not touch the throttle

After a few seconds the letters D and S extinguish

Select N and turn off the ignition key

 

Done.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Woody 99

Bob, you’re a star, thank you. I’ll give it a try tomorrow. I’ll just have to remember not to start the bike while I have the throttle wide open. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Tex
8 hours ago, Woody 99 said:

Bob, you’re a star, thank you. I’ll give it a try tomorrow. I’ll just have to remember not to start the bike while I have the throttle wide open. 

 

Get it good and hot before doing it. Don’t just run it on the drive for a couple of minutes, ride it for a few miles/kilometres. I suspect your dealer didn’t have it hot enough.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Woody 99
Just now, Tex said:

 

Get it good and hot before doing it. Don’t just run it on the drive for a couple of minutes, ride it for a few miles/kilometres. I suspect your dealer didn’t have it hot enough.. 

He must have had it hot enough because I’d done about 100km of the local passes before noticing that the shifts were much clunkier than usual. I suppose I’ll have to do it all over again now just to get the bike warmed up. 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Tex

Keep working on those chicken strips! :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Woody 99
34 minutes ago, Tex said:

Keep working on those chicken strips! :D 

They’re gone!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Tex
1 hour ago, Woody 99 said:

They’re gone!!!!

 

But you need to work on keeping them gone! :niceone:

Share this post


Link to post
Woody 99
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Tex said:

 

But you need to work on keeping them gone! :niceone:

Do they grow back?

 

its worse than mowing the sodding lawn. 

Edited by Woody 99
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Tex
3 minutes ago, Woody 99 said:

Do they grow back?

 

its worse than mowing the sodding lawn. 

 

:D 

 

Yeah, they do come back as ‘old habits’ return. Not that it’s actually too much of a problem. ;) The important thing is that you’re enjoying your riding? Forcing yourself to go faster/lean further than you want/feels natural will just spoil your day. I like to ‘flow’ and on the days when I am flowing faster the tyres get worked harder.. :) 

 

Remember the lessons you learnt on your recent trip and practice them. :niceone:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Griff

The only aspect to look out for with a DCT reset is that I think that the procedure can vary with some model years. I know that the procedure for my X-Adv was slightly different to that for the NC700X. You will need to check that out

 

Share this post


Link to post
KingJames
8 hours ago, Woody 99 said:

Do they grow back?

 

its worse than mowing the sodding lawn. 

But you can sort the chicken strips on a Sunday unlike the lawn

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Woody 99
On 18/06/2019 at 23:03, Bart Stilgo said:

Right.  I have my trusty bit of crumpled paper next to me on the sofa for the 2016 onwards

 

Get the bike to working temperature first.

 

Get on board the bike and start the motor

With transmission key in N for neutral,  switch off the ignition to stop the motor

With the ignition off FULLY OPEN the THROTTLE and press  AND HOLD the switch into D

Switch the ignition on but DONT START THE MOTOR (Whilst still holding throttle open as well as the D button)

Wait, until you see in the dashboard display the yellow symbol for the motor disappear, then let go of the D key that you have been pressing (Still hold throttle open)

Now the tricky bit.  As fast as you can press the sequence

D D N D N

In the dashboard display BOTH the letters D and S should appear

CLOSE THE THROTTLE

Turn on the motor BUT do not touch the throttle

After a few seconds the letters D and S extinguish

Select N and turn off the ignition key

 

Done.

 

Bob, quick question. By “ignition” do you mean turning the key or using the red kill switch? I tried this today and I think I must have got something wrong because nothing happened. 

 

Thanks. 

 

S

Share this post


Link to post
Bart Stilgo

I always use the key, not the kill switch.

I did have one occasion where this would not work, just wouldn't enter the mode so just left it alone and tried again after a fairly long ride.  Worked fine then.

It could be as Tex says due to temp not being high enough.  Although you may have ridden suffient distance if the bike was allowed to sit and cool then things may have changed to confuse the result. 

Its all about oil viscosity

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
kayz1
On 19/06/2019 at 09:18, Woody 99 said:

Do they grow back?

 

its worse than mowing the sodding lawn. 

No NO nothing is worse than mowing the sodding lawn. :muttley:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
kayz1
On 19/06/2019 at 17:19, Griff said:

The only aspect to look out for with a DCT reset is that I think that the procedure can vary with some model years. I know that the procedure for my X-Adv was slightly different to that for the NC700X. You will need to check that out

 

Please tell!!

Lyn.

Share this post


Link to post
SteveThackery
On 6/18/2019 at 17:35, Woody 99 said:

Net effect was that he reset the DCT and the fuel injection (I assume that’s what he meant by FI) and off I went

 

He's bullshitting.  There is no reset for the FI or any other electronics on the NC apart from the DCT clutches.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Woody 99
1 hour ago, SteveThackery said:

 

He's bullshitting.  There is no reset for the FI or any other electronics on the NC apart from the DCT clutches.

It may be a translation issue. We were speaking German. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SteveThackery
4 hours ago, Woody 99 said:

It may be a translation issue. We were speaking German. 

 

Understood.

Share this post


Link to post
embee
On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 13:58, SteveThackery said:

 

Understood.

Bitte?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Andy m

And twisted

 

Andy

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Griff
On 6/20/2019 at 23:57, kayz1 said:

Please tell!!

Lyn.

 

Ok I will have to look up the difference between the two as I can't remember exactly what the difference is and I only have copy of the pages relative to my X-Adv. Leave it with me for the moment.     

Share this post


Link to post
Woody 99
Posted (edited)

So the plot thickens on this. I dropped by the dealer again today and they were too short handed to look into this so I take it back on Friday (off to the U.K. tomorrow). They had no explanation for why both drive modes are being shown as active, and the mechanic further noticed that you can’t toggle between auto and manual. They agree with me that something is wrong. 🤪

 

when i started the bike this morning the display looked odd in that the box that normally displays either N for neutral or the gear number had the letter L in it. No idea what that’s for. You can see from the photo how it looks. 

 

Im leaving for the south of France on July 10th so they had better figure it out before then.  

 

 

838178C5-0893-456D-B16B-AF665C88C6E6.jpeg

 

P.S.  the manual reset didn’t work. 

Edited by Woody 99

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×