Drive & Sport mode

XXX

SteveThackery
8 minutes ago, Woody 99 said:

when i started the bike this morning the display looked odd in that the box that normally displays either N for neutral or the gear number had the letter L in it. No idea what that’s for.

Hmmm....  I think the L is what you see when you initiate the DCT reset and the oil temperature is too low.  (IIRC the capital L means much too low, the lower case 'l' means slightly too low.  Somebody with a manual will confirm.)  That is what I would expect if you initiate the reset without running the engine first. 

I wonder why it's showing immediately after switch-on.    Does anyone know if the reset mode persists through a switch off/on?

Edited by SteveThackery
  • Like 1
embee

Steve's right, sounds to me like it's got somewhat confused and thinks it's still doing a DCT reset for some reason. 

First thing I'd do is "switch it off and back on again", by that I mean disconnect the battery for half an hour or something. It might give it the necessary kick to sort itself out.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

Hmmm....  I think the L is what you see when you initiate the DCT reset and the oil temperature is too low.  (IIRC the capital L means much too low, the lower case 'l' means slightly too low.  Somebody with a manual will confirm.)  That is what I would expect if you initiate the reset without running the engine first. 

I wonder why it's showing immediately after switch-on.    Does anyone know if the reset mode persists through a switch off/on?

I ran the bike for over 30 minutes before initiating the reset. Is that not long enough?

Griff

If the D and S are showing together then afaik this means that the reset procedure has not been successful. I think You need to ascertain the exact procedure for your year and model of NC. My X-Adv has the 2017 750 motor but the requirement to hold the throttle wide open is not in my procedure. 

Edited by Griff
SteveThackery
14 hours ago, Woody 99 said:

I ran the bike for over 30 minutes before initiating the reset. Is that not long enough?

Honestly, I don't know.  I always rode mine before doing the reset, rather than just running it.  I just wanted to point out that if you saw that display immediately upon switching on, it's as if it got itself into reset mode somehow.  The capital L is exactly what you'd expect to see in those circumstances, because the engine will be stone cold.

We definitely need an expert to join in!  :)

I'm with embee on this: disconnect the battery for half an hour.

Edited by SteveThackery
3 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

Honestly, I don't know.  I always rode mine before doing the reset, rather than just running it.  I just wanted to point out that if you saw that display immediately upon switching on, it's as if it got itself into reset mode somehow.  The capital L is exactly what you'd expect to see in those circumstances, because the engine will be stone cold.

We definitely need an expert to join in!  :)

I'm with embee on this: disconnect the battery for half an hour.

Sorry Steve, I’m starting to speak English like a Swiss. I rode the bike for half an hour, didn’t just let the engine run. We’ll see if the dealer can shed any light on Friday when I take it in for a once over. 

• Like 1
On 18/06/2019 at 17:35, Woody 99 said:

After coming back from my Italian trip I felt that the transmission was no longer as smooth as usual - holding gears longer than normal and clunking gear changes, especially when engine braking coming down a hill. I’d read here somewhere about resetting the DCT so I stopped by the dealer to ask him to check it out. Net effect was that he reset the DCT and the fuel injection (I assume that’s what he meant by FI) and off I went - everything seemingly back to normal...except it wasn’t. 

Now, both modes are shown on the dash as being active - sport and drive - so I have no actual confirmation what mode I am in (I know you can tell by the feel of the bike, but it would still be nice for it to work properly). One call to the garage and I’m none the wiser, and sadly, neither are they. “Oh, don’t worry, we’ll fix it the next time you bring it in for a tyre change or a service”, they said, which strikes me as being a thoroughly unsatisfactory response. After a bit of pushing he said he would of course look into it and get back to me, but off the top of his head he had no clue what the problem was. 

Can anyone on here think of what might have happened? The bike seems to run ok but I would still like to get to the bottom of it. 

Thanks. 

I had this problem recently with S and D still showing following the reset procedure on my 2017 model. I did this many times with the same result.

According to the guidance notes, following the reset "after a few seconds, the letters D and S extinguish" but I found eventually that by waiting maybe up to a minute or more, the reset then took place. So it seems that a few seconds is not enough. This worked for me.

Edited by Tad
  • Like 2
SteveThackery
18 hours ago, Tad said:

According to the guidance notes, following the reset "after a few seconds, the letters D and S extinguish" but I found eventually that by waiting maybe up to a minute or more, the reset then took place. So it seems that a few seconds is not enough. This worked for me.

So it looks like the time taken to calibrate the clutches may well vary.  This is a good observation you've made.

• Like 2