Rusty rear axle

Jimish

Jimish

Hello again everybody, I’m still around you know, just lurking.

I have just got back from doing a Welsh photograph challenge, had a bloody marvellous time over 12 days camping around Wales. 1600 miles. Such a good time I’ve trashed my rear tyre ( I put a new front on before I went)

So, and to get to the point, I removed my rear wheel today to get a new Michy fitted. The rear axle was seized so much I had to hit it with a firkin gert block hammer to remove it. The reason was that the axle was rusty and had seized in the left hand bearing.

This on a 17 reg. NC750x DCT with only 10,000 on the clock.

Seems Mr. Honda san doesn’t use grease on the axle and neither did the dealer when the rear tyre was changed at 3,000 miles. 

Might be worth checking yours methinks. 

0-AF5-C3-F6-8-D5-E-4-F94-9044-A05751624-

• Like 2
shiggsy

One reason why I always take my own wheels off and take them to the dealer, give you a chance to check stuff yourself. I also now re-grease the suspension linkages on the first tyre change after winter, learnt that lesson the hard way.

• Like 1
Tonyj

Might be the reason the rear bearing fail . Could be a water trap . I’ve stopped jet washing in this area and no dramas so far 26k . Replaced the last at 22 or 24  I think on the other nc . 

• Like 1
Jimish

You might be right Tony. There wasn’t any water in there in spite of riding through torrential rain a couple of weeks ago but it’s had plenty of time to dry out in this lovely sunshine. I did wash it 3 days ago but never use a pressure washer, just muc off, a brush and gentle spray hose. 

I’m going to keep it greased with acf50 grease from now on. 

The bearings feel fine at the mo. 

Jimish
10 hours ago, shiggsy said:

One reason why I always take my own wheels off and take them to the dealer, give you a chance to check stuff yourself. I also now re-grease the suspension linkages on the first tyre change after winter, learnt that lesson the hard way.

I usually do too, about once a year. I know there have been instances of them seizing too. 

It really isn’t good enough from a respected motorcycle manufacturer like Honda. 

I wonder if there are issues on their more expensive machines or is this just because the nc is a cheap bike?

Griff

While there are seals between the spacer and the wheel, I have discovered that the water gets inside the spacers between them and the axle, because there is nothing to prevent it doing so. As such, apart from greasing the axle and other bits related when replacing the wheel, I spray some grease inside the chain adjuster plates on the axle to seal that area to water when everything is tightened up. Unable to post a photo here unfortunately to demonstrate my statement but hopefully my explanation is sufficient.  

• Like 1
embee

Those cavities really need to be well greased, both between the seal lips (2) but also as you have shown the surfaces of the bearings themselves need to be protected, preferably with a water resistant grease (I use Fuchs/Silkolene Renolit Aqua2).

The steel used in normal ball bearings is extremely tough but is not corrosion resistant and will rust badly if not protected.

• 5 months later...
hyperbimduke

My 2018 s had its 8000 1year service & they told mo the rear spindle was seized & yook some effort to remove, backs up the theory Honda factory has a grease shortage...

3 minutes ago, hyperbimduke said:

My 2018 s had its 8000 1year service & they told mo the rear spindle was seized & yook some effort to remove, backs up the theory Honda factory has a grease shortage...

See my post above......If not removing the rear wheel regularly enough to replace tyres it is probably best to get in there occasionally to check for water ingress. 

I believe Honda San allocates one small tub of grease per factory per year. He is not alone in his stinginess - my Versys had bone dry linkages at two years old when I had them looked at soon after buying it. Paul at More Moto routinely dismantles and greases linkages on any new bikes he gets - Yamahas are bad as well apparently - and I know to my cost  what Triumph are like. Maybe they think that we are not actually going to do enough miles for problems to show up. This forum is unusual in that we all ride our bikes - a lot.

outrunner

I too had noticed at the first tyre change that the axle was dry, and that was at 350 miles! As I burn through tyres at around 5 to 6 thousand miles it gets regulary greased, I also do the linkages and the centre stand pivot pin twice a year.

Andy.

• Like 2