Trev

Triiumph 675 Daytona advice

Trev

I know there are some (one in particular :D) with more than a tad of knowledge about these bikes, I've been offered an immaculate 2006 15k mile bike in red for what I think is a decent price. It's due a service and has no MOT as the rider hasn''t it for over a year. I know the chap quite well and, although he knows little about the mechanical side of bikes (or riding them :whistle:) he always looks after his car, van and bikes getting them serviced by reputable people and cleans them to within an inch of their lives and he wouldn't knowingly sell with any faults.

This would at last be a purchase based on keeping it locked away and all shiny (with maybe the very occasional sunny outing) rather than a rider as it's the first model year of what is supposed to be a dog's dangly's bike. Anything in particular for me to look out/listen/check for and what  would be a 'very good' price for such a thing? Also what is involved with a 15k service, assuming it's up to date service wise from the previous year?

Waiting impatiently with wallet twitching ...... :frantics:

• Like 2

trisaki

Hi trev I believe  16000 miles is a valve check , so not far away from that , early versions sometimes used a fair amount  of oil , so worth keeping an eye on  , would you be able to walk after about  30 miles riding  as they are quite small and you  are shall will say , quite large   😂

• Like 1

sandalfarm

Don't they have a sprag clutch or does every bike have one?

• Haha 1

SteveThackery
25 minutes ago, sandalfarm said:

Don't they have a sprag clutch or does every bike have one?

Where does a sprag clutch come into things?  I'm puzzled!  :)

Virtually all bikes with an electric start use a sprag clutch (basically, a freewheel), rather than mechanically disengaging the starter from the engine when it's running.

Trev
53 minutes ago, trisaki said:

Hi trev I believe  16000 miles is a valve check , so not far away from that , early versions sometimes used a fair amount  of oil , so worth keeping an eye on  , would you be able to walk after about  30 miles riding  as they are quite small and you  are shall will say , quite large   😂

I didn't sign up to this forum for abuse Mark, I can get that quite easily at home :D

Thanks for the heads up on valve check and the oil use, I'll check both out. I'm not planning to buy it as a 'rider' although won't be able to resist the odd spin.

• Haha 1

Tex

I wouldn’t like to argue, but isn’t the valve service at 12k/24k/36k? With an ‘intermediate’ at 6k/18k/30k? That’s certainly the case on the Street Triple which is, pretty much, a naked Daytona. Assuming the 12k was done by someone competent you’re fine for yonks.

Trev, buy it! If it’s in good shape (no crash damage etc) it’s only gonna go up in value. It’s already started in fact with my local dealer asking top, top money for two used ones they have. And red is the best colour. Well, better than that yellow/gold anyway. 

• Like 1

baben

Check the rear linkage! See my post re Tigger. (Oh Dearie Me)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Defender

Go for it Trev, I loved my 'Street Triple when I had it, lovely engine and sweet handling.

• Like 2

PoppetM
On 10/07/2019 at 21:43, Tex said:

Trev, buy it! If it’s in good shape (no crash damage etc) it’s only gonna go up in value. It’s already started in fact with my local dealer asking top, top money for two used ones they have. And red is the best colour. Well, better than that yellow/gold anyway. 

dunno.. my brothers 675r looks a dream. 

Place your bets next time when I visit will get let me on his Daytona while he takes his Ducati, or will he insist I ride the small ninja again....

• Haha 1

Tex
34 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

dunno.. my brothers 675r looks a dream. 

Place your bets next time when I visit will get let me on his Daytona while he takes his Ducati, or will he insist I ride the small ninja again....

Yeah, I actually meant red was the best colour choice in 2006. Although, thinking about it, all the red ones look pretty sharp. :niceone:

If it was me, you could ride the Ducati and I would ride the Triumph. But it’s not me, eh? ;) 

• Like 1

PoppetM
1 minute ago, Tex said:

Yeah, I actually meant red was the best colour choice in 2006. Although, thinking about it, all the red ones look pretty sharp. :niceone:

If it was me, you could ride the Ducati and I would ride the Triumph. But it’s not me, eh? ;) 

That’s because he never learnt to share his toys 🤣 even with his twin!

• Haha 1

Trev

Offer has gone out at £3k, no MOT or service (it has a 12k stamped up one at triumph dealer apparently) with the suggestion that he advertises it to try and get a better price but, if not, then my offer is there to fall back on. A sit on it reveals that yoga and fab fighter classes will be required if I'm going to bend myself to it's shape :thumbsup:

• Like 1