No dip beam

maz

Ok so my bike just failed it's MOT due to a non functional main beam (dip). It was working on Monday (I rode 25miles home at 1am with the dip beam).

I've tested the bulb independently, all good (including both my spares).

The holder without the bulb (no corrosion/looseness), and the dip beam pin gives 12v ignition only/14.2v running.

Once a bulb is connected that becomes 0v, I checked continuity from the spades to the bulb terminals and its was fine.

Fuse is fine, relay seems to be switching fine?(high comes on /off)

I'm starting to think it's some sort of voltage drop/short to ground because it works fine when no bulb is present, so the only difference is the current draw?

Any ideas?

2015 RC72 (manual)

Edited by maz
embee

Don't know if yours is the same as the 700 regarding wiring for the headlight, but this is the section for the NC700.

5d272e610af8f_NC700headlightwiring.jpg.b7d0b627941fc8f637eba470635dac2e.jpg

I'd be looking closely at the connector in the harness from the left switchgear. If a connector is tarnished with only marginal contact, then with no load you will see the full voltage, but as soon as you try to put any current through it the resistance will drop a large part (or practically all) the voltage, which fits with what you describe.

It's also possible it's the contacts in the main/dip switch. I'm not sure how easy it is to get in there, possibly simply squirting plenty of contact cleaner (or WD40 if you must) into the switch and operating it several times may do the job.

I'd go for the connector first, I've had issues with other connectors on my NC.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, embee said:

I'd be looking closely at the connector in the harness from the left switchgear. If a connector is tarnished with only marginal contact, then with no load you will see the full voltage, but as soon as you try to put any current through it the resistance will drop a large part (or practically all) the voltage, which fits with what you describe.

Yeah I'll find the relevant part of the manual and take a look as how I open that up, I'm limited on tools until my Dad's home and can open up his workshop.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry been a bit of a mad week or two... Turns out it was the 10/12P connector had a bit of corrosion cleaned it up with a bit of flux and a hot air gun, started working almost instantly.

Edited by maz
  • Like 4