baben

Oh Dearie me.

baben

Tigger went in for his 18000 mile service and Paul at More Moto assured me he would be thorough. I mentioned the rear shock linkage as I think Trisaki had dealt with one that looked very dry. Well Tigger's was a gnats whisker from completely disintegrating and is going to need complete replacement of ruined bits. It looks as though the bottom link had never seen grease and the upper one has had some put on, but too late to do any good.  So I am without a bike for a few days which is already causing an outbreak of grumpiness. Should be back by the 21st though so still up for the meet in Lincoln. So the argument for a second bike grows stronger...........

• Sad 9

Steel Horse UK
9 minutes ago, baben said:

So the argument for a second bike grows stronger...........

Like it! :ahappy:

• Like 2
  • Sigh 1
  • Haha 2

PoppetM

Going to try that...

Just muttered to him indoors I may take Freddie across the waters to France... he said "but I want to go to".

Ummm. No love. If I take you that means I have to take car...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

fred_jb
16 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

Going to try that...

Just muttered to him indoors I may take Freddie across the waters to France... he said "but I want to go to".

He could always ride pillion!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Bart Stilgo
2 hours ago, PoppetM said:

No No.  He needs to get a bike!

With Panniers for all your stuff.

Worth a try?

or your worst nightmare!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Andy m
Posted (edited)

Bad news on the linkage. Finding it now is better than on the A1 though. 

Having taken 25 years to stabilise single bike ownership I have to advise on the pitfalls of owning two (or three, or four, or keeping 90% of a spare in the loft having sneaked it in part by part). If it works and is different enough to add interest fine. When they do nothing but cost money and prevent riding due to outstanding paperwork and jobs get shot. 

The pillion quandary there is no solution for unless your other half weighs three stone and can pack their stuff in sandwich box. While it is nice to have someone to eat dinner with I'm afraid bikes simply don't work as well two up. It gets worse when the pillion doesn't really want to be there. Either they want to ride and will therefore get a bike* or they don't and will be happy to see you when you get home. 

*and get them one like yours unless they really fancy something else. There is nothing the divorce lawyers like better than the VFR800 rider who takes his wife touring on her CG125. That's just pillion riding with added stress. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

baben

Well, SWMBO doesn't pillion any more but for some very odd reason she thinks the world of me and seeing me so grumpy touched her heart strings and so I have been ordered to look for a back up bike, like I always used to have in the days of yore. I have my eye on a machine and hopefully a test ride is in the offing.... I'll keep you posted. Andy's advice is very sound by the way - number two will be utterly unlike Tigger!

• Like 6

fred_jb
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

The pillion quandary there is no solution for unless your other half weighs three stone and can pack their stuff in sandwich box. While it is nice to have someone to eat dinner with I'm afraid bikes simply don't work as well two up. It gets worse when the pillion doesn't really want to be there. Either they want to ride and will therefore get a bike* or they don't and will be happy to see you when you get home. 

Andy

That's a bit harsh Andy!  It obviously depends a bit on the bike, but I don't find riding two-up has a significantly detrimental impact on the riding experience, and neither of us are lightweights, but that may be because I'm a fairly restrained rider anyway.  I would agree that luggage is a bit of an issue.  My wife found packing all her stuff into a 35 litre pannier, apart from shoes and waterproofs which go into the top box, a bit of a challenge at first, but she adapted very well and now has it down to a fine art. Sadly she is thinking of hanging up her helmet soon due to increasing hip problems.

Edited by fred_jb
  • Sad 2

Tex

Hmmm, Glendon, you remember that really expensive 12k service you had done? Stripping and lubricating the rear linkage is part of that.. so is lubricating the steering head bearings (I bet the lazy gits didn’t do that either).

Mind you, in a way they did you a favour. Without their shoddy work you wouldn’t need a second bike, eh? I would drop them in a case of beers and thank them.. :niceone:

• Like 2
  • Sigh 1
  • Haha 1

Trev
Posted (edited)

Although I have a few bikes, I'm a bit with Andy on this,  perhaps  1 is the best number. As an example, my Enfield went all clanky on me on Sunday just as my wife and I were about to set out on a ride. She said 'take another one, you have plenty' but I just couldn't wheel it back in the garage and leave it there without knowing what was wrong so spent several hours dismantling to find the problem and ordering spare parts before finally wheeling out 'Enfield Sub' and taking a reduced mileage ride much later that afternoon.

You would have thought with ten bikes then I would always have an option available but, as the list shows below (with marks out of 5 for suitability for type of riding), that's not always the case:

Bike                      Status                         trail riding                  track day               pottering               hooning          posing

KDX200                total refurb req'd              0                                  0                                0                        0                       0

GSXR1100           MOT, service, refurb req'd    0                             0                               0                         0                       0

gsxr1000              tyres, C&S, oil & filter req'd   0                             0                               0                        0                       0

Moto Guzzi V7     waiting to be taken away     0                              0                              0                         0                      0

Yamaha XS650    waiting to be delivered        0                             0                                0                        0                       0

V80 step thru      under stairs in lock up in bits  0                         0                                0                        0                        0

Africa Twin          wheels to be put back on         0                         0                                0                        0                       0

Griso                     ready to ride                              0                           2                               2                        3                       4

Enfield                   spragged                                   0                           0                                0                       0                       0

Suzuki X7            holy piston                                  0                           0                                0                      0                       0

v50 step thru       ready to ride                               2                           1                                0                       0                      5

Using a points based system, it's pretty close between the mighty Griso and the slightly less mighty step thru :ermm::D

Edited by Trev
You try formatting this c*bblers
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

KingJames

Tis the season to get that gsxr1000 back on the road, them easy statuses to fix.  What's c&s by the way?

• Like 2

Tex
Posted (edited)

What's c&s by the way?

Chain & Sprockets. :niceone:

Edited by Tex
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tex

Trev, your idea makes a lot of sense. If, for example, you only had the Affy Twin you would have changed the tyres and done the tubeless conversion (er, you have gone tubeless haven’t you?) in a day and been happily riding around on your new rubber. 

Maybe two is the perfect number? A big bike and a small bike? Or, better still, a big bike and a scooter? 

• Like 7
  • Sigh 1

Mr Toad

Looking forward to hearing all about he spare Glendon. Or perhaps it will make an appearance in Lincoln?.......

As someone who has two bikes I can sympathise with both arguments. What Andy says is valid but there are other pitfalls to having more than one.

I haven't ridden the Bonnie since last November and not for the same reasons as Trev or Andy.

I ride all year round in all weather and for a while that meant the Bonnie got used all the time. Then I bought the NC and although the Triumph was taxed etc. I didn't ride it over he winter, other than a very few dry sunny days, as it took ages to clean properly and I do like it to shine so the NC got dirty. Then I bought the GS last summer and sold the NC, as autumn started to turn to winter I made the decision to SORN the Triumph over the winter with the intention of putting it back on the road in April. However, April came and went and the weather never seemed good enough, we seem to have had more than our share of rain this year so I decided to wait. Well here we are in July and I still haven't put it back on the road for a variety of reasons, weather, other plans and commitments and the fact that I have another bike to ride.

I'm now getting to the point where I'm starting to think it's too late in the year to bother. Again there are reasons, in August I'll be away on the boat for most of the month, then I'll be spending the first half of September in the Dolomites with Slowboy and the others on the GS and there seems little point in taxing it from October to March. So next year then..................provinding we don't get a repeat of this years weather.....

• Like 4

embee

All valid points. I have a garage full, but only 3 are actually on the road, and 2 of those I end up taking out for a run mainly because they haven't been used for a while. I have a couple of others which I have been meaning to get back on the road for several years (need TLC, like tyres/batteries/brake overhaul, nothing major) but "stuff" has got in the way. They're historic so not even needing an MOT/money for tax, just insurance.

…………….. oh yes, and the sports car.

I reckon 2 bikes is probably ideal. More than that and you're into time-share shortage.

• Like 2

Rocker66
2 hours ago, Tex said:

Trev, your idea makes a lot of sense. If, for example, you only had the Affy Twin you would have changed the tyres and done the tubeless conversion (er, you have gone tubeless haven’t you?) in a day and been happily riding around on your new rubber. 

Maybe two is the perfect number? A big bike and a small bike? Or, better still, a big bike and a scooter? 

I’m happy enough with a medium size bike and a small bike well technically two small bikes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

alhendo1
2 hours ago, Tex said:

Or, better still, a big bike and a scooter? 

That's something I'm considering but to make it realistic I'd have to sell my wee Mk1 Mx5 and although I don't use it as much as I should whenever I go for a drive it puts a smile on my face....now if I had a double garage things would be much simpler😅

• Like 1

giley

thats a shame... at least it is in good hands now! glad you found Paul ok to go back to. thats 3 of us now using him! forum discount maybe ;-)

Tex
1 hour ago, alhendo1 said:

That's something I'm considering but to make it realistic I'd have to sell my wee Mk1 Mx5 and although I don't use it as much as I should whenever I go for a drive it puts a smile on my face....now if I had a double garage things would be much simpler😅

Similar position myself. My car (Fiat 500) does about 800 miles a year. Hardly worth keeping. But it’s actually cheaper to tax and insure than a 300cc scooter. And the fuel efficiency of the scoot wouldn’t make up the difference in such a small mileage. 

I don’t mind the 500, it’s quite charming in it’s way, but I would sell it in a heartbeat. An MX-5? No, I would want to keep that! ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

baben
15 hours ago, Tex said:

Hmmm, Glendon, you remember that really expensive 12k service you had done? Stripping and lubricating the rear linkage is part of that.. so is lubricating the steering head bearings (I bet the lazy gits didn’t do that either).

Mind you, in a way they did you a favour. Without their shoddy work you wouldn’t need a second bike, eh? I would drop them in a case of beers and thank them.. :niceone:

I fear you are correct Simon which is why I shall not be using Lings again.

Trev
13 hours ago, KingJames said:

Tis the season to get that gsxr1000 back on the road, them easy statuses to fix.  What's c&s by the way?

chain & sprockets

Yeah all simple fixes but time has caught up with me at the moment, bit busy with work. The AT only needs wheels putting back on (new tyres fitted last week) so gonna pop round to the lockup this evening to do that; taking the V7 over after work to swap for my 'new' bike, ratty old XS650, and the replacement sprag clutch has also turned up for the Ennie so will fit that Saturday evening while Mrs Smith is watching some old drivel on the goggler.

I've got the tyres, chain and sprocket, oil, filter and pads for the gixer but that needs a good full day (I'm a slow fettler) so I'm going to leave that until others sorted and I have plenty of time, probably end of Sept.

Rocker66
1 minute ago, Trev said:

chain & sprockets

Yeah all simple fixes but time has caught up with me at the moment, bit busy with work. The AT only needs wheels putting back on (new tyres fitted last week) so gonna pop round to the lockup this evening to do that; taking the V7 over after work to swap for my 'new' bike, ratty old XS650, and the replacement sprag clutch has also turned up for the Ennie so will fit that Saturday evening while Mrs Smith is watching some old drivel on the goggler.

I've got the tyres, chain and sprocket, oil, filter and pads for the gixer but that needs a good full day (I'm a slow fettler) so I'm going to leave that until others sorted and I have plenty of time, probably end of Sept.

Looking forward to see how you get on with the XS650.

Dave H
2 minutes ago, Trev said:

chain & sprockets

In your position I would take the view that if I had fewer bikes, i.e. one, then I might get to ride it a bit more rather than spannering up the fleet. A simplistic view to be sure but maybe somewhere between 1 and 11.

• Like 2

Rocker66
5 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

I’m happy enough with a medium size bike and a small bike well technically two small bikes.

Griff reacted with the confused icon to this so I thought I explain. The medium sized bike is obviously  the CB500X and the small bike the Monkey 125. The other small bike is the CB125F which is mainly ridden by Sue but is registered in my name so is technically mine.My name is also on the sales reciept

Tonyj

Trev you are allowed to spend some money instead of saving like Scrooge mcduck. Get a mechanic to sort the gixer and Enfield . Change the tyres on th at . Bang,  done probably no more then a grand all three . How much would you have made in the time it takes to ponce about doing boring jobs. I’m sure Alan sugar ain’t moping about wondering if he can go out . Your time is too valuable. 

• Haha 2