no start on my DCT 750 -but sorted!

bazza

bazza

went to start the bike this morning -and nothing happened on pressing the starter.

This has happened before but I thought maybe the solenoid needed shorting but actually though about it a bit first

noticed

• all lights came on and heard somthing being energised when the key turned to on
  • no gear indication - S,D or N came up!
  • turned back wheel-defintely in neutral
  • tried rocking bike side to side- no difference
  • finally took off centre stand and clicked up side stand -still nothing
  • then clicked side stand a few times down and up - voila!  Neutral showed and started perfectly

so question - side stand swich -should it be servided at all? mine's 2014 bike only 15,000 miles old

bazz

sandalfarm

Better and quicker  than being recovered  and fixed in Germany 

SteveThackery
7 hours ago, bazza said:

so question - side stand swich -should it be servided at all? mine's 2014 bike only 15,000 miles old

No, it's not a serviceable part.  Having said that, blathering it with a solid coating of your waterproofing product is said to help (including the connector, remember).

Sidestand switches are one of the less reliable parts on many bikes - presumably due to their exposure to high speed water, salt, mud and grit.

• Like 1
bazza
7 hours ago, sandalfarm said:

Better and quicker  than being recovered  and fixed in Germany 

true! but that wasnt the issue then-I think! and it was Austria!!

37 minutes ago, bazza said:

true! but that wasnt the issue then-I think! and it was Austria!!

Yeah, but did you ever get your bag back?

• Haha 1
bazza
16 hours ago, Woody 99 said:

Yeah, but did you ever get your bag back?

thanks Woody but no it never did return. But my insurance company paid out so that was a result!

embee

As Steve says, they're in a pretty nasty place for exposure to crud, including mank from the chain. You can try cleaning it, usually easiest to take it off and immerse in suitable cleaner (WD40 etc). Simplest thing is often to just replace it.

I'm not sure what they are like inside, I've never delved into one, I can only guess at some sort of wiper/contact arrangement which will need to be reasonably clean to work reliably.

The switch itself is common to a gazillion bikes, the only thing which changes is the length of the cable and any clips etc on it. If you search the auction site you can usually find pictures giving an indication of how long the cable is for different models and you can pick up a usable one for single figure ££ even if you can't find one specifically for an NC.

• Like 3