pjm

MP3 350

pjm

Whilst waiting on a release date for the Yamaha 3ct or the PSA Phev live, I noticed that Piaggio have fairly recently launched the new MP3 350. It has the power unit from the Beverly. I assume from the high esteem several members hold the Beverly in that it is a reliable piece of kit. Is the Piaggio running gear and finish up to kilter if looked after with a bit of ACF50 etc? Had a run out on the Tricity on Monday and although great fun it does not have enough umph for a man of my size and weight, albeit at 84.6 kg I am the lightest I have been for over 20 years😳😳 I am missing out on the meet ups. 

• Like 6

Andy m

Don't know any of the answers, but these three wheelers are on my list of vehicles I must try before they pull the plug on me. 

Andy

• Like 4

DaveM59

Never owned one, but have ridden all the MP range at some point and picked a lot of them up off the floor!

They do fall over regularly when either stationary or barely moving. The tilt lock doesn't auto disengage if you coast slightly from standstill (downhill) then if there is a pothole, and one wheel catches it, over it goes before you know it's happening.

They are top heavy blighters to pick up again too.

They ride just like any other bike but with a dull lifeless feel as if the ability to lean over is dampened. Very good anti slip capabilities on loose surfaces, but still gets caught out by diesel spills of any size.

Fuel consumption is not as good as the bike that donates the running gear, mainly the extra weight but also the higher rolling resistance.

• Thanks 2

pjm
Posted (edited)

Why would they fall if stationary? I tried a 500 a few years back and found the lock quite instinctive. I see what you are saying about coasting not releasing the lock but I suppose you could look out for that scenario and always manually release if you thought that situation might arise. As to a sizeable diesel spillage that would surely take out any bike. In fact I even got caught out in a car by a big diesel spillage on a roundabout. 15mph but could have been on an inch of ice. I have found the Tricity very confidence inspiring.

Edited by pjm
  • Like 4

Tex

I have watched a few UTube videos of folks crashing MP3 type things, so they’re not totally fool proof, but I still think they have undeniable advantages in some areas.

To answer your original question, Peter, I think a man like you could keep one in good shape without too much effort. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pjm

Perhaps I should just write this year off and wait for the Yamaha or the PHEV to come out. I could make an effort and get down to the 1066 on the Tricity.

• Like 3

Exceledsteve

I had the Beverly 350ST for about 2 and a half years Peter and I looked after it pretty well with fairly regular cleaning over the winters. It looked like new when I sold it. Piaggio are nice quality machines. I almost bought another recently but went for the Honda SH300i instead due to wanting something I hadn't had before. It was a close run thing though.

• Like 1

Wedgepilot

An MP3 350 would be a hoot. I've ridden the tricity and thought it was a nice little scoot, it just felt a bit under powered compared to a 'normal' 125 because of the weight. 350cc would sort that out 😃

PoppetM

See loads on my commute, look fairly nippy!

Wouldn't mind seeing your tricity.

Was thinking today I would like more oomph... checked out the bmw 650GT, too pricey. Then up pops the x-adv...

At Chiswick on Saturday so may sit on a few and check out the storage. I know its less then the Forza has but I survived happily with a frunk and tail.pack for 3 years.

Only problem is bloody chain maintenance again...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ciaran1602
1 minute ago, PoppetM said:

See loads on my commute, look fairly nippy!

Wouldn't mind seeing your tricity.

Was thinking today I would like more oomph... checked out the bmw 650GT, too pricey. Then up pops the x-adv...

At Chiswick on Saturday so may sit on a few and check out the storage. I know its less then the Forza has but I survived happily with a frunk and tail.pack for 3 years.

Only problem is bloody chain maintenance again...

My old man was thinking of selling his Rebel recently :angel:

Italian scooters power the continent and aren't treated nicely. I'm sure the mp3 would gold up perfectly well. 

Rocker66
Just now, Ciaran1602 said:

Italian scooters power the continent and aren't treated nicely. I'm sure the mp3 would gold up perfectly well. 

Does he no longer enjoy his Rebel then?

Ciaran1602
1 minute ago, Rocker66 said:

Does he no longer enjoy his Rebel then?

It's wasted. He just doesn't use it, at all. It's what, a year and a half and it's done 600 miles. I think his intent would be to have an old knacker he can take out when he wants and not tie up so much money in an asset that's wasted. 

PoppetM
30 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

It’s the thought of a fill up every day to get to and from work...bad enough every two days, otherwise I would have made him an offer!

Ciaran1602
Just now, PoppetM said:

It’s the thought of a fill up every day to get to and from work...bad enough every two days, otherwise I would have made him an offer!

I totally get that. Whoever decided fitting it with a hip flask for petrol was a wise idea missed a trick. Its definitely more a 'fun' bike than a practical one I think. 

It's a shame Honda don't do the Silverwing anymore. Your kinda left with the Burger an and the bigger Yamahas now in the big scoot world. Maybe the kymco models. 

• Haha 1

PoppetM
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Ciaran1602 said:

I totally get that. Whoever decided fitting it with a hip flask for petrol was a wise idea missed a trick. Its definitely more a 'fun' bike than a practical one I think. 

It's a shame Honda don't do the Silverwing anymore. Your kinda left with the Burger an and the bigger Yamahas now in the big scoot world. Maybe the kymco models. 

I know as it is such a lovely bike! Yamahas have 6k service, bearing in mind 

I hit 8k in 5 months...

They don’t float my boat... don’t know why...

Edited by PoppetM

Ciaran1602
1 minute ago, PoppetM said:

I know as it is such a lovely bike! Yamahas have 6k service, bearing in mind 

I hit 8k in 5 months...

They don’t float my boat... don’t know why...

Ugh not practical. Integra?:angel:

PoppetM
9 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Ugh not practical. Integra?:angel:

No storage...but x adv does...

• Like 1

Tex

Sam, I heartily recommend a ride on an X-Adv, might be a bit tall for you is the only thing.. :( bloody nice bike though and it’s the absolute king of the traffic light GP in Rome :niceone:

• Like 2

DaveM59
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, pjm said:

Why would they fall if stationary?

They fall when manhandling them with the tilt lock on (ignition off) as they are susceptible to uneven surfaces, cambers etc so when you are wheeling them they can suddenly lean and before you know it, fall away from you. When they first came out even dealers were caught out when wheeling display stock onto their forecourts on a morning.

A friend of mine had several MP3s and a Fuocco and I think I helped pick them up several times. Once in Scotland, we stopped at a pub at Glen Garry and on leaving she set off out of the car park and it was slightly downhill so didn't open the throttle just coasted towards the road, looked to the right and rolled out into the road without applying any throttle, but  there was a slight drop between the carpark/footpath and the road and as she went at a 45 degree angle, one wheel dropped off before the other and over it went on the right side.

Same thing happened earlier with a 1 week old Fuocco. Manually manoeuvring it on a concrete surface to turn around in a tight space and one wheel dropped into a hole and over it went.

If you release the lock manually they are fine but a lot of owners get them specifically so the tilt lock makes it so they don't have to balance the bike when manually manoeuvring (paddling) or handling them and then fall foul of the top heavy nature when the bike starts to get anything other than perfectly vertical. Treat then like any normal bike and they are fine.

On the Piaggios the tilt lock is a half brake disk quadrant mounted across the top tree up behind the dash with a brake calliper on the frame powered I guess from the ABS pump in some way. There is some sort of switch in the saddle that prevents the system working unless there is weight on the seat. Over complicated and pricey on tyres due to the non standard (or common) size used.

Edited by DaveM59

PoppetM
12 hours ago, Tex said:

Sam, I heartily recommend a ride on an X-Adv, might be a bit tall for you is the only thing.. :( bloody nice bike though and it’s the absolute king of the traffic light GP in Rome :niceone:

And Paris ;) boss is laughing at me that I have gone from "not sure about riding" to wanting another 750 :dielaugh: in 5 months...

Will go perch to test height and see if I want to save up for it. The itch may pass me by...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rocker66
16 hours ago, Tex said:

I agree as I found it a bit tall when I tested it.

• Like 1

pjm

If any one fancies the Tricity for a good price let me know. Heated grips, front and rear dashcam only done 1390 miles. Just serviced by Yamaha main dealer.

• Like 2

Trev
22 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

I think his intent would be to have an old knacker he can take out when he wants and not tie up so much money in an asset that's wasted. 

Wise man, better riding then cleaning, let me know if he wants to talk old knackers :cry::D

PoppetM
1 hour ago, pjm said:

If any one fancies the Tricity for a good price let me know. Heated grips, front and rear dashcam only done 1390 miles. Just serviced by Yamaha main dealer.

What’s replacing it?

pjm

Another 3 wheeler I guess not certain yet.

• Like 1