pjm

MP3 350

Tex
14 minutes ago, pjm said:

How much more real world power will the 350 give at 30.6 hp, at 256kgs wet, over the 300, at 26.2 hp at 220kgs wet?

Not very much, to my way of thinking.

14 minutes ago, pjm said:

I am thinking of going for the 300 as the lighter weight makes it more of a proposition that Chris might use it as the weight of the 350 and the 500 at 275kgs push it in to a very heavy lump to move around.

Big difference in weight! I’m sure the 300 HPE (the latest design from Piaggio, remember) is an excellent choice.

• Like 1

MikeBike
Posted (edited)
On 02/08/2019 at 10:35, PoppetM said:

And Paris ;) boss is laughing at me that I have gone from "not sure about riding" to wanting another 750 :dielaugh: in 5 months...

Will go perch to test height and see if I want to save up for it. The itch may pass me by...

I'm 6 ft and I found the XADV a bit awkward when putting my feet down. Maybe it's just because I'm used to the 750 X but the foot boards seemed to get in the way and need extra leg length to stick out the legs further. It's the only 'scooter' I've ever ridden so maybe it's not an issue if you are used to it.  If you're thinking of an NC based 750 with storage would you go back to the S or do you prefer the scooter style? I originally wanted an S but decided I prefered the X when buying but I keep looking at them and think I'll try another test ride... I love my DCT which as Tex says is great for a bit of Traffic lights GP fun and the frunk. I think a lot of bigger bikes get a surprise as they are busy gear changing...

Edited by MikeBike
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

PoppetM
5 minutes ago, MikeBike said:

I'm 6 ft and I found the XADV a bit awkward when putting my feet down. Maybe it's just because I'm used to the 750 X but the foot boards seemed to get in the way and need extra leg length to stick out the legs further. It's the only 'scooter' I've ever ridden so maybe it's not an issue if you are used to it.  If you're thinking of an NC based 750 with storage would you go back to the S or do you prefer the scooter style? I originally wanted an S but decided I prefered the X when buying but I keep looking at them and think I'll try another test ride... I love my DCT which as Tex says is great for a bit of Traffic lights GP fun and the frunk. I think a lot of bigger bikes get a surprise as they are busy gear changing...

Struggling the weight of bikes at the moment, the Forza is so light and easy.  Wont rule it out an S again, was a great bike. 

X is too tall, and I suspect Xadv is too.

• Like 1

Trev
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

Struggling the weight of bikes at the moment, the Forza is so light and easy.  Wont rule it out an S again, was a great bike. 

X is too tall, and I suspect Xadv is too.

Sam, how many times must I tell you, the perfect bike for you is blue & white, 170kg dry, low (gel) seat, lots of plastics to keep the rain off, £4k for nice one

gixxerthou.jpg.1b403b3182eb52e47b25a161018b8b2a.jpg

Edited by Trev
  • Haha 5

PoppetM
1 hour ago, Trev said:

Sam, how many times must I tell you, the perfect bike for you is blue & white, 170kg dry, low (gel) seat, lots of plastics to keep the rain off, £4k for nice one

gixxerthou.jpg.1b403b3182eb52e47b25a161018b8b2a.jpg

You are throwing in the Chiropracter sessions too right? :aww: It is very pretty...

• Haha 1

Trev
6 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

You are throwing in the Chiropracter sessions too right? :aww: It is very pretty...

No I've used all those up :cry:

• Haha 5

Exceledsteve
13 hours ago, pjm said:

How much more real world power will the 350 give at 30.6 hp, at 256kgs wet, over the 300, at 26.2 hp at 220kgs wet? I am thinking of going for the 300 as the lighter weight makes it more of a proposition that Chris might use it as the weight of the 350 and the 500 at 275kgs push it in to a very heavy lump to move around.

I reckon this new 300 engine makes the MPS the machine you've been waiting for Peter. A good compromise of lower power but lower weight to the 350. 

Well done for steering the thread away from weird tea!

• Haha 4

pjm

I am going to try and fit in an extended test ride on the MP3 tomorrow. In the meantime I thought I had to have a go and see if my weigh5 loss and exercise had improved my hip to allow me on a normal bike. I boldly took a Triumph Street Twin out for a test ride. An absolutely lovely bike in every respect, sound, feel, gearbox, brakes, performance and looks. Unfortunately the footpegs are too far back and too high for me to sit comfortably. I could easily flat foot but still having the mental block on my left foot doing what I tell it. I then had a go on a Speedmaster with its feet forward cruiser position. Another lovely bike. The seating position was a lot more comfortable and I only had to drop my left foot rather than lift from the hip. Front brake was not as nice as on the Street Twin. Not really my thing though. I am going to have a look to see if I can squeeze in a sit on the CB500X before I make a decision as the ergo site has a very relaxed hip position. I would love to be able to have a real bike. 

• Like 5

pjm

Weather was a bit iffy so I decided to go and try the CB500X first. What a lovely bike and great value for money. Took it out for about 45 minutes. Absolutely lovely to be back on a proper bike. The clutch and gearbox are silky smooth and light. Brakes very good and handling spot on. However despite the seating position being much better I am still suffering. I got off the bike and ended up walking with a limp. I am wondering if there are some specific exercises to improve the strength and mobility of my left thigh and hip. I have been doing the hip specific exercises for a year now. I have improved my internal rotation from 0 degrees to about 8 degrees but the leg still does not react like the right. I have no issues getting my right foot down at all. I have mastered braking with both and then feathering the front brake just as I come to a halt and pop my right foot down. Once stopped I have no trouble getting my left foot down and can support the bike. I am trying to think of a situation where I would have to stop and put my left foot down and suppose it would only be a sharp left to right camber with the road dropping away from me to my right. Obvious not how the majority of the road cambers work in the UK. The CB500X is a snip at £6000 and so much better value than an MP3.  Out with the stretch bands to see if I can sort this leg out once and for all.

• Like 3

Tex

26 minutes ago, pjm said:

However despite the seating position being much better I am still suffering. I got off the bike and ended up walking with a limp.

So, you can ride a scooter pain free? And walk with a limp after a 45 minute blip on a CB500? Hmmm, I know where my cash would be going..

Peter, I like you. And time spent with you is always a pleasure. So don’t take this next short paragraph as anything other than ‘tough love’..

Dude, either get a replacement hip and celebrate with a new motorcycle or get an MP3 and stay safe. If your hip lets you down at a junction you could get run over by a bus! 

• Like 2

pjm

None taken 🤠🤠 I just came across this Article:

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/247348/3-home-exercises-to-improve-your-motorcycle-riding/

might be worth a shot shot for the rest of this season and see how I develop. The getting a new hip is something I want to push back as long as possible as if I have to go down that road it has a limited life and as discussed at the weekend the blind NHS trials for the stem cell hip therapy are going on at the moment. This just has them harvesting your own cells drill a few holes in your existing hip and plonk it in. The hip then grows a new one. A bit like welding a bit on a cam and then reprofiling it.

i find the lunge a very difficult thing to do at the moment but like all exercise it’s hard until you build up a bit and then should improve.

It was lovely to be out on a few bikes over the last couple of days. I now know why it just gnaws away at the psyche. I love the look and heritage appeal of the Street Twin but at £6000 the CB500X has to be one of the best bargains around at the moment. The 2019 has a slipper clutch and a great dash display. Similar to the Street Twin in that it is stripped down simple motorcycling at is best.

• Like 5

pjm

Well here’s what happened. I had a nice little ride over to BMG at Sheen to get a firm trade in against the MP3. I made a deliberate effort to put my left foot down. The position on the Tricity made this fairly easy as it is knees forward. Turns out they have taken on a Suzuki franchise to replace MV Augusta in the showroom. Now despite having seen Burgman’s parked up I have never sat on one. Lo and behold it has what best can be described as a very skinny waist. The footrests are carved away and it made for a very comfortable position for my left leg at a standstill.  Seat position has plenty of adjustments for height a length and all in all I think it’s the compromise I have been looking for. The XMax and Forza both had wide running boards that made it uncomfortable for me. I got a good price on the Tricity and first service thrown in. Will pick up my ‘69’ er on Monday week. Can’t wait to be able to join in again. 

• Like 11

Tex

Is that the Burgman 400? Geoff was very pleased with his. 

pjm

Yep. In a nice stealthy Matt Blue.

• Like 1

Tex

Excellent. Bring it along to the 1066 (second Sunday in September looking favourite) and we can all admire your good taste and good fortune. :niceone:

pjm

Look forward to it

Rocker66
6 hours ago, pjm said:

Well here’s what happened. I had a nice little ride over to BMG at Sheen to get a firm trade in against the MP3. I made a deliberate effort to put my left foot down. The position on the Tricity made this fairly easy as it is knees forward. Turns out they have taken on a Suzuki franchise to replace MV Augusta in the showroom. Now despite having seen Burgman’s parked up I have never sat on one. Lo and behold it has what best can be described as a very skinny waist. The footrests are carved away and it made for a very comfortable position for my left leg at a standstill.  Seat position has plenty of adjustments for height a length and all in all I think it’s the compromise I have been looking for. The XMax and Forza both had wide running boards that made it uncomfortable for me. I got a good price on the Tricity and first service thrown in. Will pick up my ‘69’ er on Monday week. Can’t wait to be able to join in again. 

Great to hear that you have found something that allows you to overcome your problem.

• Like 1

kayz1

You will not be disappointed with the 400 Burger van, they are great machines and almost bomb proof...

Happy days:

Lyn.

• Like 1