Sign in to follow this  
Tim O

Givi Top Box Plate

Tim O

Hello All,

I've got the standard Honda top box on my NC and i would like to replace it with a Givi Trekker (monokey). Does anyone know if the Givi Universal Monokey top box plate will fit on my Honda set-up? The Givi plate has a fairly flexible design (hence "universal") but without dismantling it all at this stage, I can't see quite how it would go. If I can, I want to avoid buying the whole Givi set up, i.e. arms etc., as the Honda one has arms ending in the Honda plate.

Thank you very much. Tim.

Ciaran1602

From memory, the standard Honda Top Box if it looks like the below is actually a SHAD top box with rebranded bits on it. I know mine certainly was when I had the Honda Top box on the X.

shad6208.jpg

Depending on whether yours is a 700/750 or the revised 750, this page has a list of fitting manuals for each model year. That way you can see how the top box mount actually works. It looks like the SHAD uses a similar set up to Givi by having a universal plate that screws into machined holes within the top box mount.

It's a gamble as to whether it will fit. But it might.

• Like 1

kayz1

Either way you will find that Givi do an adaptor plate(s) left and right thingies to convert the Honda ( big hole in the middle plate. You can then screw on your Givi plate to the Givi adaptor.

I have them on my X-ADV as it came with Honda top box as standard.

Lyn.

• Like 1

Defender
1 hour ago, kayz1 said:

Either way you will find that Givi do an adaptor plate(s) left and right thingies to convert the Honda ( big hole in the middle plate. You can then screw on your Givi plate to the Givi adaptor.

I have them on my X-ADV as it came with Honda top box as standard.

Lyn.

When I tested the X-ADV it was fitted with something that had about the same structural integrity as what I use to carry my sandwiches to work in! 

kayz1

I must say the Honda thingy was tuff enough in my view, it was the square - ish box with the BIG lock thingy at the  bottom that scratched my brand new Shoei visor ( £48 ) two days before the pick up of the bike:console: so when i got home i ordered the Givi things as i already had a new - ish Givi box...

• Like 1

Tim O

Thank you for those replies - very helpful. Yes, Ciaran, my box, although branded Honda, looks identical to the one in your photograph. And thank you Kayz, i'll look for those adaptor plates. Sorry about the scratched visor - not a risk for me as I always use the frunk to store my Shoei!

I think I'll order the box first - see what fits and what doesn't - and then get the bits as i need them. 

Cheers!

Defender
6 hours ago, kayz1 said:

I must say the Honda thingy was tuff enough in my view, it was the square - ish box with the BIG lock thingy at the  bottom that scratched my brand new Shoei visor ( £48 ) two days before the pick up of the bike:console: so when i got home i ordered the Givi things as i already had a new - ish Givi box...

On the one I tried the top box wouldn't lock correctly, I had to flex the panel to get the lock to line up correctly, I can't do that on my Givi 'box on the NC'X.

kayz1

Mine was that big Square thing they ( gave  away ) with the first year bikes,,utter rubbish size wise as the only way the Shoei would fit wad visor down

and i hit the lock box..

Ow! mine had the Honda rack if that makes any difference ...

Edited by kayz1

Tim O

I think it may!!

deecat

I have used the flat Givi plate fitted to the Honda rack on every NCX that I have owned ,just needed some long bolts and big washers.

e22-2.jpg

• Like 3

Tim O

Thank you Deecat. Did you have to remove the male part at the back of the Honda rack which slots into the back of the Honda box? And on my existing Honda rack there is a raised bar running the length of the front of the rack for the bits sticking out from the box to slot into. Doesn't it get in the way of the Givi plate?

I'm stuck between getting the Givi universal monokey rack (and then fixing it to the existing rack) or the Givi rack (the one with a large hole in the middle) which, it would appear, should allow me to bolt it straight on to the existing arms.

Thanks for any thoughts. 

ncx19

I have the Shad rack (no plate at all). The Shad box comes with the appropriate plate for it, and you mount it to the side rails of the Shad rack kit.

There are 2 Shad plates available. You get the right one for your box included in the box. The plate has a abundance of holes - to adapt to any existing other brand  plate I suspect. Worst case you may need to drill holes in your existing plate to mount Shad's, but I doubt it.

The Shad (larger one) plate I have has a bar at the front for box fingers to lock into.  Sounds like a similar setup to your Honda.

If you have a Honda (rebrand Shad) on your rack, I'd have to assume its removable like the shad, and you could install a Givi or other to the framework under it.

Tim O

Thank you NCX19. That's very helpful as well. 

deecat

Tim,

I have just checked my rack and it just sits on top of the Honda Standard rack.

It is fixed to the Honda rack with two bolts at the back and two at the front with a bit of ally flat bar.

I prefer the Honda rack over  the Givi /Shad type of rails as it gives me a better hold when moving the bike around and also a better grip for the  pillion .

Delboy777
Posted (edited)

There was no way i was paying Honda's extortionate price for their luggage. So i bought the full Givi rack system using V35 panniers. I already had the V47 Monokey top box from my 1250 GS so will be using that. Total cost, with Givi inner pannier bags £540 all in

Edited by Delboy777