CRF Swing arm Bearing

Grumpy old man

Grumpy old man

Hi

Help, I'm having trouble removing needle bearings from my CRF250l swing arm, I can't get anything behind it to knock it out or pull it out.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Lloyd

outrunner

My mate the bike mechanic usually builds up a bit of weld on the bearing cage so he has something to get a punch on and knocks it out from the other side, I have seen him do it with a needle bearing on a Fazer rear wheel so it does work.

Andy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Andy m
outrunner
1 minute ago, Andy m said:

A bit of weld and a big hammer is much cheaper. ;)

Andy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Andy m

Not if you don't have a welding set and can't weld! 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
kayz1

I have the blind hole expanders type with slide knocker

• Confused 1
Grumpy old man
11 minutes ago, outrunner said:

A bit of weld and a big hammer is much cheaper. ;)

Andy.

Typical North of the border man.

• Haha 1
Grumpy old man
6 minutes ago, kayz1 said:

I have the blind hole expanders type with slide knocker

Thanks Lyn. I've been looking at those but the cheaper ones don't seem to have good reviews. Which do you have?

outrunner
1 minute ago, Grumpy old man said:

Hey I resemble that remark!

Andy.

• Haha 2
Rocker66
4 minutes ago, Grumpy old man said:

I thought that it applied of Watford. I remember a U.K. on Bargain Hunt referring to the Barnsley Wail which was “ Hoooow much” 😀

• Haha 2
outrunner

I have a mate from Yorkshire who uses that very phrase, but with the f word in front.:D

Andy.

• Like 1
Rocker66
1 hour ago, Rocker66 said:

I thought that it applied of Watford. I remember a U.K. on Bargain Hunt referring to the Barnsley Wail which was “ Hoooow much” 😀

1 hour ago, Rocker66 said:

I hate predictive text that should obviously have read  “ a bloke on Bargain Hunt”

kayz1
5 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

Thanks Lyn. I've been looking at those but the cheaper ones don't seem to have good reviews. Which do you have?

Will have to check, old school set about 30 years old Sykes-Pickavant i think..Lots of money now...

you can buy a good enough set ( if you do not use it every week ) for about 40£ on the net..

I have one of my collets broken so must try and remember to buy a new one, you can bet your life it will

be the size i need to use next time...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Andy m
On 06/08/2019 at 20:46, Rocker66 said:

I hate predictive text that should obviously have read  “ a bloke on Bargain Hunt”

Try the UK Weestrom site. On top of predictive text they have anti-swearing and anti-Americanism blockers (the so called spam spam filter).

Try making sense of how someone stopped the wind taking his tent away by pegging down the bloke ropes or ordered Enfield parts from Hitch****s. 

😕😁😁😁

Andy

• Haha 1
Grumpy old man

Thanks all.

All sorted, took it to my local garage and they cut themout with a  pneumatic dremmel. Must get a dremmel 

• Like 3
rjp996

i spent two days with slider hammer, bearing puller etc trying to get mine out - end of Sunday bit the bullet and just used a dremil and grinding stone and ground one spot until it was thin and it came out in about 2 mins....

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Grumpy old man said:

Thanks all.

All sorted, took it to my local garage and they cut themout with a  pneumatic dremmel. Must get a dremmel 

Invaluable! Get a mains powered one, rather than a battery one. The latter are fine for hobbyists but come up a bit short when used in the workshop. I wouldn’t be without mine and use it for grinding the heads of chain rivets before pushing them out. :niceone:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Andy m

Does the genuine Dremel use a chuck with sort of tube mandrel, split insert thing rather than jaws? 

Mine is a Aldi special copy. The screw on bit doesn't compress the mandrel enough to grip tools like small drill bits. As it's likely to get more use now I was thinking of getting a proper one. 

Cheers

Andy

6 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Does the genuine Dremel use a chuck with sort of tube mandrel, split insert thing rather than jaws? 

If I have understood you correctly, yes. There’s a little button you press to lock the rotating shaft in place while you tighten the knurled knob (matron! They’re at it again!!).

Mine has suffered horrendous abuse and never been found wanting. 

• Like 1
Andy m

Yep, same system so probably superior materials on the genuine one. 

Cheers

Andy

I have the lithium battery Dremel. For what I use it for it’s fantastic and has got the job done where nothing else would do. The battery charges quickly and lasts quite well. I would probably have a mains powered unit for more intense projects. 

• Like 1