22k Servicing.....

kevcl15

Hi all,

So, in the 2.5 years I've had the bike I've put on  20k miles.

Change the oil and filter regularly (about every 4k) and generally look after the bike, but I've never checked/adjusted the valve clearances. Bikes running great, no issues, returns around 78-80 on my regular 130 mile daily commute.

Fairly capable with a set of spanners so no real reason to avoid doing it (other that allocating some time to complete), my question is, is it worth doing and if so, what do I need to look out for/be aware of??

Is it worth firing it into the dealers instead, if so, any one know roughly what I'd be looking at cost wise??

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Kev.

Just coming up to 50k and I havent bothered, probably look at them in about 10k more.  TBH I dont see why you waste money changing the oil and filter every 4k.  My daily commute is 164 miles, so I know how it is..

trisaki

700 or 750 ? , valves are either every 8000 or 16000 , my 700 was checked  at 8000 one valve  needed  adjusting  , checked again  at 16000 , all 8 were tight , my engine  runs like a swiss watch , I change coolant  when I do the valves , two jobs at same time ,  your bike , you choose   

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Sorry, it's a 2014 NC750X on a 63 plate. Coolant was changed last year when I stripped the rad off to address the flaky paint on it (seems to be a common problem with the NC's I've seen). 

Scottoiler pretty much takes care of the chain.

Garry,

Wow, that's a fair commute, puts my 126 to shame!!! RE oil and filter, it's only 2 changes a year (or thereabouts) so feel it's worth it. Could I ask you what tyres you are running on it?? My commute is pretty much all motorway so the tyre squares pretty quickly......

Cheers.

Kev.

My 700 is at about 35k miles, and for various reasons I've checked the valve clearances a few times (while doing other stuff, once you have the rad off you may as well ….).

They don't change rapidly, and as the engine has settled down (I reckon around 20k miles to really get nicely loosened up) they seem to be pretty stable, but in the early days they can wander a bit and I'd say definitely worth checking them if they haven't been done during the first 20k miles or so.

There are a lot of similarities with the NT/Deauville valve gear design, apart from the roller followers, and over the years everyone has pretty much agreed with those that 20k mile intervals for checks is perfectly reasonable, my Deau had done over 20k before I checked them last time and they were barely out of spec.

I probably won't bother to check the NC clearances for another 20k  miles now, unless I'm in there for another reason. I haven't renewed the gasket yet, and there's no sign of any leaks from that nor from the bolt sealing rubbers. I did replace the Deau gaskets and rubbers last time, but they were 17yrs old so worth the price just to avoid the risk of leaks.

As Trisaki says, it's entirely up to you.

Grumpy old man

I'm not particularly handy with spanners and don't really like using them but finances dictate 😔 but saying all that it took me less than 2 hours to check the valves so not a big job

Don't forget they must be done cold.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

So, did the valve clearances, not a major job as it turns out. They were slightly tight on the exhaust valves, but within tolerance, but adjusted anyway. Sounds exactly as before so hopefully all good.

However...... with the rocker cover off, I noticed some paint flaking and corrosion on the cover. So, thought, I'll just give it a clean up and a quick spray over......

Hmmmmm, once I started, it was obvious that, as I had it off the bike, it was worth painting the whole lot as even the masking tape was taking the paint off the rocker cover in some places!! Don't know what paint Honda are using on that particular part, but it ain't great! Anyway, paint removed, etch primed, matt engine enamel applied and a satin lacquer over the top and the cover looked better than new! So, a 2 hour job ended up as a 2 dayer........ but all good now.

Cheers for the assistance gents, much appreciated.

Cheers.

Kev.

• Like 4