ncx19

mystery connector

ncx19
Posted (edited)

2019 NC750Xdct

Found this connector taped into the harness left front inside of cowl.
Green, purple, and purple with red tracer

green - continuity with ground
purple - +5v dc when key on, engine running or not
purple with red - no voltage or connectivity with other 2 wires.

Honda provided a female cap you could add pins to and make your own extension (or just to keep corrosion off wired end)

Any idea what its for?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojdo86rlx16sk1t/connector.JPG?dl=0

Edited by ncx19
pic

tw586

looks similar to the aux plug which on my MY17 is fitted to the lower L/H/S of the frunk case. 

ncx19

I have the accessory connector as well for use with the relay kit and acc. harness at bottom rear of frunk.

This is up front where the shock tubes come up.

kayz1

I think it is the ECU thingimebob dodar....Like the one i have on the x-adv if you loose the fob, lets you  start the bike with a code..Eer! i think.

ncx19

Hi kayz1

Bike doesnt have a fob.  Need the key, and im not sure the key is even chipped.   But have 2 keys regardless.

Digging around, there is conjecture the +5v has something to do with LED lighting equiped bikes, and the 'dead' wire should be a switched 12v.

Raining today, so havent had a chance to poke around more - may need to have key on and kickstand up ???? to power up the lead??

Doesnt make sense to have a non-powered wire ... other than the green which is the ground/neg lead. 

However the connector would serve a purpose, and I'd love to know what that purpose is.

kayz1

Is it for the plug to put it into dealer mode to read fault codes?

ncx19

researched this in service manual and drawings.

Couple things come to mind, and having a DCT, it could be an unused connector for clutch lever position.

+5 supply and the dead wire a return, but why the green wire?  So doubt thats it,

Also considered as you suggested it was a communications link. I havent seen a reference to an OBD connector, but one would expect there to be one on an EFI engine with an ECM.  Looking back at my RS232 years, RX,TX, and ground.  Using inline checker, there was always one lead from either end with power to light the checkers LED for that line, so it could easily be  a data line (not necessarily a serial link, but no matter what the protocol, would have similar electrical characteristics.)

Of course all this is speculation, and would be great if there was a Honda tech on this site that knew of the purpose for that connector.

I had the bike running, in gear, sidestand up, and monitored the pu/rd lead while trying every switch to see if something powered it up.

At any rate, its info for the folks on here to leave it alone for purposes of looking for an easy location for accessory power.

I'm now leaning to a data port unless someone has a better explanation.

outrunner

The OBD connector on my 2016X dct is in the battery compartment and is coloured red.

Andy.

• Thanks 1

McGyver
Posted (edited)

It's the connector for the OEM heated grips.

Indeed there's a communications link as the OEM heated grips enable an indicator on the dashboard.

Edited by McGyver

ncx19

PLOT TWIST

My accessory relay kit arrived, and the harness is back-ordered another month (&^%^$).
So I went ahead installing the accessory relay and fuse if you can call it installing lol.

On a hunch, I retested the Purple/Red wire with the relay kit installed , got +12v, with ign/ on.
Removed relay - dead. Put back  ... on.

So while the relay kit fires up the Accessory connector behind the frunk bottom, it also enables the purple/red in the 3 pin connector in the front of the bike ... left, inside of cowl near front fork tubes.

For some folks this might be an easier solution than removing all the bodywork to install the wiring harness if all you need is an ign. controlled 12v

So got to install my 2xUSB3.0/voltmeter outlet. I chopped off the 3 wire connector, heat shrink tip to insulate the purple/white dot +5.
Installed my own 2 position connector.

Did this, as its easier to add another 2 pos connector for another accessory on to the leads on the USB accessory side - as I left those long enough to work on outside of the steering cavity.  Soldered connections and dressed with heat shrink and split loom.

Still no idea what the connector is for originally - though McGyver's comment sounds like ticket .. esp. now we know that the purple/red supplies 12v with the accessory relay kit installed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jl5uxjv3nlktkq/IMG_8986.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jonpxesfh9ysq3m/IMG_3925.JPG?dl=0

MikeBike
Posted (edited)
On 23/08/2019 at 00:48, ncx19 said:

2019 NC750Xdct

Found this connector taped into the harness left front inside of cowl.
Green, purple, and purple with red tracer

green - continuity with ground
purple - +5v dc when key on, engine running or not
purple with red - no voltage or connectivity with other 2 wires.

Honda provided a female cap you could add pins to and make your own extension (or just to keep corrosion off wired end)

Any idea what its for?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojdo86rlx16sk1t/connector.JPG?dl=0

On wiring diagrams Ive seen for my 2015 bike there is what's called an OPTON B connector with green and purple/red which branches off the OPTION A connector for the sub harness.

Both are only enabled with the fuse / relay kit.

The option B was for the lighting kit I believe.

So it seems like a wire has been added for the nwer bikes (2016+?) with the +5V. Handy as stated if you just need a switched supply especially at the front of the bike.

Edited by MikeBike

ncx19

Have had it verified now that the connector on the '17 up is a 3 pin for the heated grip kit.

gn ground

pu/rd +12 for the heated grips (enabled by the relay kit and fuse)

pu/wh +5 for the grip switch controller LED, and input signal to the  dash display from the controller

McGyver  nailed it.  Nice to close the loop on the thread  :) than leave it in any doubt.

Pre '17 models its a 2 pin apparently

wingrider.steve
19 hours ago, ncx19 said:

Have had it verified now that the connector on the '17 up is a 3 pin for the heated grip kit.

gn ground

pu/rd +12 for the heated grips (enabled by the relay kit and fuse)

pu/wh +5 for the grip switch controller LED, and input signal to the  dash display from the controller

McGyver  nailed it.  Nice to close the loop on the thread  :) than leave it in any doubt.

Pre '17 models its a 2 pin apparently

My 2016 NC750X has that same 3 pin connector, it's where my OEM heated grips were connected.