Chain riveting tool?

TJW

Hi there,

been wondering if anybody had any recommendations on what chain riveting tool they found worked best for them?

I will be replacing the drive chain of my 2012 NC700X in the next couple of weeks, but am yet to buy a riveting tool.

Thanks a lot for your time, help and support.

TJW

Bought something like that last year to join DID chain.

Does the job perfectly.

Capture.JPG

Edited by matt28
  • Like 1
trisaki

As it's only a 520 chain  you can quite  happily use a spring clip remembering to put the clip the right way round 

5 hours ago, matt28 said:

Bought something like that last year to join DID chain.

Does the job perfectly.

Capture.JPG

same as mine, it works very well

• Like 1
On 8/30/2019 at 22:23, trisaki said:

As it's only a 520 chain  you can quite  happily use a spring clip remembering to put the clip the right way round 

Thanks. I thought about that but can't get the picture out of my head that it might go flying everywhere ...

When i were a lad:lol:  the NC's are only a couple of BHP's ask TEX what they used on the race bikes over the years.

Could think about just buying an endless chain, then no riveting to do. The whole job is not to difficult, esp with a centre stand, and give you the opportunity to re grease the swing arm and bottoms link bearings. 

Recon if im not fafing about itv takes me 45 mins to do chain, sprockets and grease bearings. 2hrs when I what the extra ‘quiet time’ in the garage;-)

Edited by rjp996
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, kayz1 said:

When i were a lad:lol:  the NC's are only a couple of BHP's ask TEX what they used on the race bikes over the years.

John McGuinness just won the Senior Classic TT on a 70hp Paton using a spring clip. I think one would work fine on an NC. 

Failing that, I like Richard’s suggestion of an endless chain and a pot of grease in the pivot bearings. But you need a centre stand for that one, really. 

Defender

I have the had a Motion Pro chain tool for over 20 years, not cheap, but works very well and you can get spare parts, pins and springs etc.

Comes in a nice case to keep all the parts together too.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help ... just one more thing. Why are using people the chain riveter to take the old chain off? I've seen it on numerous times that people simple take an angle grinder to it ... job done!

Dremel or grind the chain pin head flush then use the breaker. Almost no risk of breaking the pin in the tool doing it this way. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1

I use an angle grinder to remove the old one.  Easy,  Btw this thread is riveting..

4 hours ago, TJW said:

Thanks for all your help ... just one more thing. Why are using people the chain riveter to take the old chain off? I've seen it on numerous times that people simple take an angle grinder to it ... job done!

Not everyone has an angle grinder.. :ermm:

One good slip with a full size grinder and you won't be needing the rivet tool until after the parts man has been. 

Access and the ability to get a bit of wood or something behind it is going to change plans. You might even find a spring clip if it's low powered, old or the previous owner was a bodger. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just replaced my chain/sprockets at 13500 miles, as mentioned in the past some of the original chains don't last long, even If, as with mine, it had a Scottoiler from new. Anyway I used a riveter but one of the pins split so I have now used the spring link and am not too worried, as it only has 50 odd bhp to handle. One thing I do when using a spring link is paint the link red, both to keep an eye on and I think should  prevent the spring flying off.

• Like 1