Stalling NC750 DCT

Mal.

This mornings stall was the worst yet, as I was mid traffic-light junction.

Traffic lights went green.

Select S3 mode.

Pulll away slowly.

Mid junction the bloody thing stalled.

The problem with DCT you have to be stationary before you can start the thing, so there I was, mid-junction, barely enough momentum to get through to the kerb...

Any idea what might be causing the stalling?

Symptoms: If idling, it's as if it misses a beat, as if one or both cylinders lose ignition or maybe not get enough fuel.

Help appreciated!

Mal.

• Sad 1
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• noj

• embee

• jeremyr62

• Andy m

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds a lot like a failing coil, or plug lead - I had similar symptoms on my son's car until I replaced the coil pack.   Could be that the HT leads are integral with the coil and not replac

Just be aware that although lithium batteries are lighter and have superior cranking current, they do generally have lower capacity, so 3 or 4 Ah, compared to typically 8 Ah for lead acid batteries. 

It shouldn't.  You are allowed to press the start button immediately - you don't have to wait for the pump to stop.  If it was necessary they'd fit an interlock to actually prevent the starter motor f

KingJames

Does the dash blank out at all and is the kill switch / side stand switch all good?

Edited by KingJames
1 hour ago, KingJames said:

Does the dash blank out at all and is the kill switch / side stand switch all good?

The dash does nothing unusual.

Both switches work as they should.

This problem only occurs at idle speed and v.small throttle openings.

Thanks Pal!

Cheers,

Mal.

Edited by Mal.
Andy m

What's the history of the bike? Age, last serviced etc. How old is the battery?

Any trouble starting it? Any difference if you use the other key?  I'm thinking immobiliser or the plug to it.

Andy

KingJames

If not a dodgy connector and low speed, small throttle openings fueling a candidate.  Someone else had a fuel pump problem not that long ago, does it prime ok when ignition on before starting, or air filter not clean enough / something blocking the intake when at slow speed.  Then there is the battery.  As Andy asked, age, mileage, service history.  Assume it is out of warranty as asking on here rather than straight back to the dealers.  Batteries roughly 4 years and the lithium replacement is great should be need a new one.  

Grumpy old man

Not knowing much on how DCT works,  does it do the same in all drive modes or just S3?

On 05/09/2019 at 13:43, KingJames said:

does it prime ok when ignition on before starting

Bingo!

I'd not noticed that I wasn't waiting for the priming to stop before I hit the start button.

My blooming brain has shut down..,

KingJames, thank you!

Cheers,

Mal.

KingJames

Hmmm, fuel filter check next time it is being serviced as I wouldn't expect it to stall from that.  But hey I'm just the jockey on the back, not the brains that makes it work.

SteveThackery
1 hour ago, Mal. said:

Bingo!

I'd not noticed that I wasn't waiting for the priming to stop before I hit the start button.

You shouldn't have to wait, and I don't believe this will cause the problem.  Perhaps someone with an NC could try it to see one way or the other.

• Thanks 1
MikeBike
3 hours ago, Mal. said:

Bingo!

KingJames, thank you!

Cheers,

Mal.

I'm confused. Your stall in the OP was mid junction after some traffic lights. Presumably the engine had been running and you'd ridden some distance so how could to be related to priming at starting?

Fuel filter partially blocked?

Andy m

Or the fuel pump relay playing at silly burgers once it's been at idle long enough to drop the battery voltage. 

Or turning over while priming is confusing the FI. 

Charge the battery and let it start on zero throttle and see if it behaves. 

Andy

• Like 1
SteveThackery
2 hours ago, Andy m said:

Or turning over while priming is confusing the FI. 

It shouldn't.  You are allowed to press the start button immediately - you don't have to wait for the pump to stop.  If it was necessary they'd fit an interlock to actually prevent the starter motor from running until the pump was finished priming.

Try it if you don't believe me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Andy m

Experience of bump starting says an interlock would be a good idea, although Honda's accountants might disagree. To bump an FI bike you let it prime, get it moving, then hit the starter button as you drop the clutch. Separating the actions gives each a better chance with a low battery voltage. This of course would be the root cause. 

Andy

• Like 1

Do a DCT clutch reset. Sounds like it's biting a bit early and not releasing soon enough on slowing.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Rather than start a new thread lads, and this thread seems to have ended without an answer as such and after doing a search like we all should do instead of starting a new thread to ask a question about something that has been asked before Im asking about something...........

Ive forgot what it is now...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Oh yeh, not ridden the bike for at least two months , bikes been on a trickle charger all the time and is kept nice and dry in a very dry insulated garage, even got carpets on the floor.....:)

So, dug the thing out today to nip into Wigan, bout a 5 mile run and it ran sweet as a nut, on the return journey it started to kangaroo in the low end revs nt a great deal at first but got worse as the journey went on.

Anyroad, checking the fuel gauge it said 0.4 and counting upward so that told me she was getting thirsty but plenty enough to get me home but wondered if the low fuel could have had sumat to do with it so filled up with super dooper petril stuff, no change and it even stalled when turning onto my drive nearly chucking me off coz I wasnt ready for it.

It started right away but it was running a bit iffy.

So.............any ideas, I have , maybe the battery is on the way out even though its always kept fully charged on the optimizer doofa or fuel filter maybe???? or maybe it need a reset or what ever you do.

Open to suggestions.  

Chow.

(thats italian for thank you)

Though im not Italian, just thought it sounded cool.

• Like 1
listener
3 hours ago, noj said:

Oh yeh, not ridden the bike for at least two months

Maybe just dirt or moisture in the fuel ... ? :unsure:

jeremyr62

Take it for an Italian tune up.

• Thanks 1

Check the charging voltages before doing anything else. See what the battery gives before you start it, then immediately after start, and also when revved a bit (3k rpm is fine). In basic terms you should be seeing 12-12.5V before starting typically, and something like 14-14.5V when running. Anything much outside those ranges and it suggests possible battery issues, if wildly outside then charging system issues (rare on NC).

The next thing I'd do is check what the plugs look like (should look clean and not sooty). Check plug leads are properly fitted fully home, it's quite easy to get them not fully seated (been there). It has been known for the HT leads/coils to suffer arcing on a few NC bikes, spray them with water repellent (WD40 will do, ACF50 or other dewatering stuff is fine).

Many thanks for your replies. 

The bike is a 15 plate and currently on 9500 miles, first serviced by Honda at 600 and serviced by myself there after, oil and filters changed. 

Not done the air filter or fuel filter, (does it have one) ignore my ignorance. 

In all honesty, the bike has never missed a beat and it ticks all the boxes for me. 

Even the original tyres were only changed at 7500 miles and they still had life in them but wanted some Avon Storms, great tyres. 

What I did fail to tell you is I totally flattened the battery at around 4000 miles by leaving the innovv dash cam running for a week but managed to rescue it but if I forget to plug in the optimiser it will go flat overnight. 

So, I will check the voltage as you suggest and look for a replacement ASAP. 

trisaki

If none of the suggestions help check for something or someone in the air box 

Well I've not heard any voices from inside so I'm thinking it just might be dust and shite, er leaves 

outrunner

If, as you say, the battery goes flat overnight without being connected to an optimiser I would suspect that it is on its last legs.

Andy.