Front Brake advice

Casey

I was riding home from work today and as I came to a set of red traffic lights I started to brake using just the front brake when I went over a small dip/pothole nothing major. 

As I went over it the brake released on its own while I still had pressure on the brake lever. I let the brake off and had to brake again for it to start braking again if that makes sense. 

Has anyone else had this happen on there bike? 

Bike had its 8k service few days ago and I was told I will need a new set of pads soon but there still OK and also the retaining clip will need replacing but it's safe to ride bike still.  

Thanks. 

stephenmcg

Is this the first ride since service?

i do not know if your bike has linked brakes.

if it has had the pads inspected by moving them away from disk,

you have to pump both front and back brakes to close the gap prior to riding.

some years ago, I checked front brakes, pumped the front lever and did not do rear and got a shock when I went to use rear brake.

never again

smcg babysitting in Edinburgh

• Like 2

I will assume the bike is fitted with abs, that said I would say it went into abs mode as the tyre dropped into the pot hole  

No I have done about 150 miles since having the service done on Saturday riding to work and back. I have spoke to a mate tonight that knows a lot about bikes and hes unsure about it aswel. 

I'm now thinking if it's something I have done but still 99% sure I didn't let off the brake. Going to keep a eye on it and might even try braking over some small pot holes tommorow on way home see if anything happens. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, tw586 said:

I will assume the bike is fitted with abs, that said I would say it went into abs mode as the tyre dropped into the pot hole  

Yes it has abs. I did think could it be that but would it not reengage the brake?

It's the first bike I have had with abs so it could just be something I have not experienced before. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

If you had come of the brakes - and a natural reaction i would of thought - it could of been a bit of pad knock back...

Where the 'rattle force' of hitting the pot hole could of pushed the pads / caliper piston back in a bit...

Sometimes experianced from a bit of a tank slapper tyoe moment...

If linked brakes model, then even more likely, as easier to share the break fluid in the lines etc...

Edited by DCTPaul
Edit
  • Like 2
SteveThackery

I've felt the ABS kick in quite a few times when braking over bumps.

If it REALLY took the pressure off and didn't re-engage, then it would suggest a serious fault with the system.  However, I think this is almost certainly a case where your perception in that moment didn't reflect reality - something that frequently happens to us humans.

I'd try it a few more times over the same spot.  I bet you'll find that the ABS operation is brief and that normal braking continues.

• Like 2

Yea I think you are right as I tryed it a few times this morning. Put the front brake on while going over some pot holes. The abs kicks In as front wheel hits the pot hole. The brake came on every time so should be all good and nothing to worry about. Think I was over thinking things looking for a fault.

Thanks everyone appreciate your help 

• Like 3
EastSussexPete

Sounds like you picked up a stone. Glad you where OK. 

Andy m
12 hours ago, tw586 said:

Likely if the hole is full of gravel or just grabs the wheel.

10 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

If it REALLY took the pressure off and didn't re-engage, then it would suggest a serious fault with the system.  However, I think this is almost certainly a case where your perception in that moment didn't reflect reality - something that frequently happens to us humans.

I'd try it a few more times over the same spot.  I bet you'll find that the ABS operation is brief and that normal braking continues.

The ABS control cycle is check-hold-check-release/hold/increase-check-repeat. It's a control loop, so if it releases the brake back to operator control and nothing changes it will put the light on. These basic systems though can take a long time to work it out. If you brake uphill for example you'll slow down for no reason the ECU can detect. To avoid false warnings the first assumption has to be a slope not a blowing caliper seal. Smarter systems have info coming in from the gearbox and control position so know more.

You need to be careful of this. If the ABS activity makes you react by releasing the lever, there is nothing these systems can do about it, you are no longer asking it to stop you so it doesn't. It's a common reaction, which is why EBA and CM were invented. Our brains are designed for 8 mph not 80.

Andy

• Like 1
TheEnglishman

Yea - mine does that.  I put it down to a shitty ABS system.  It's easy to confuse it, especially around bumps.