NC750X 2016 fork service

Jondajon

I’m a bit of a perfectionist about my NC ( 4th season and 42000km  so far). I do all my own servicing and like to follow Honda’s instructions especially regarding torque values. The time has come to change the fork oil and, reading the manual, I can understand that I SHOULD use Honda special tool 070MA_MKA0100 to unscrew the octagonal fork cap bolt. On checking the price, I was slightly (???!!!) surprised to find that this plastic socket bolt costs in the region of GBP200,00!!!!! (Yes, that’s right Euro 238,00!) . So dear forum members - help! - what have you used to dismantle/ assemble the forks?

Thanks for your help

Jondajon

I used a pipe wrench, but a large spanner works.

£200 for a Honda tool are thy MAD.

poldark

I've been toying with the suggested mod to the SDBV forks (slight increase in oil flow hole diameter) but have so far failed to find something that'll undo said octagonal nut (41mm?) without the likelihood of "mullering" it. :cry:

Edited by poldark
typo
On 9/6/2019 at 21:26, poldark said:

I've been toying with the suggested mod to the SDBV forks (slight increase in oil flow hole diameter) but have so far failed to find something that'll undo said octagonal nut (41mm?) without the likelihood of "mullering" it. :cry:

Just checked the my fork cap 38 mm across the flats.

I'd use a crowfoot wrench "socket" in line with the ratchet handle to crack it loose.  Then have the crowfoot at 90 deg to the handle to torque it tight without having to calculate the change in torque due to offset center point when tightening.  That's what I've done before.  Bought a single crowfoot from tool shop for $10. Not a premium brand, but was a single purpose buy for me, so didnt matter.

Or - you could take the advice an old timer gave me - hold the ratchet handle halfway down if you dont have a torque wrench, and pull firmly.

Nowadays my OCD wouldnt let me do that - lol

Edited by ncx19
ChrisCB

38mm Sealey impact socket £8.85

(Other brands are are available)

11 hours ago, Chris750 said:

38mm Sealey impact socket £8.85

(Other brands are are available)

Cap is EIGHT sided not six as normal nut,

Edited by skorpion

Thanks NCX19 - a crowfoot spanner looks like a good alternative. I can see that they are for sale on eb...for 15 - 20 GBP.

Jon